Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 691 Posts

Not seeing general discussion sub menu, so posting here

Kinda long, but just needed this outta my head to see if itd help

Been a rough 2 weeks for our family, last monday our 31yr old niece whos had a troubled youth with drugs/drinking, shes been doing really well last 5yrs, seemingly getting herself straightened out/growing up. She finally found a good man who has helped here, last year she opened her own barber shop that has been slowly growing with all her prior customers/new customers since shes been an avid fisherman/hunter, so she can talk the talk with the men, mounts on her shop walls...entire family very proud of her.

last monday she closed early and partying with friends, day drinking; sometime in the early evening she mis stepped and tumbeled down the stairs are her place, and smashed her head on the wall on the foyer. She wasnt found until next morning when her bf came over, seen she wouldn’t respond and eyes were fluttering, so called ambulance. Found blood clot in her brain they went in and removed, pressure still building so they had to perform a frontal labotomy to the right side of her brain to allow brain to decompress and recenter in her skull.

Two days later she was still unreaponsive, MRI showed she’d had 32 strokes, kind where blood is stopped and it bursts. Head of ICU told family this is her future as you see it, she will live in a nursing home requiring full care the rest of her life...we were all phucking devestated obviously. Thursday, new doc changed her sedation meds to a less powerful one, they had been going in every 2hrs to bring her out of sedation and asking her to respond to voice commands. By Thursday afternoon (we have an army of people helping us pray for her, as well as an army of angels who have silently stepped in to help her parents out with all kinda of paid/prepaid meals for their family since they are living at hospital naturally. But 6hrs after switching to less powerful sedation meds, she was responding to nurses command to (left side only as right side was “offline” for whatever reason injury related) squeeze my hand, give me a thumbs up, raise your leg up, curl your toes....so it was a emotional punch in the gut that prayers are being answered and she has moxie to fight this battle.

been long days since due to no more progress, so the emotional roller coaster is in full effect obviously. But she was well enough today they decided to do the tracheotomy so they can ween her off the ventilator. Her dad posted it was another amazing day; she responded to everything the doctor asked her to do, the right side, though extremely weak/lagging compared to left side, she was able to attempt commands. She actually was able to open both eyes (they said she’s permanently blind in her left eye from the hit that blew out something (i forget), then her aunt was rubbing lotion on her feet and seen her head move sideways so asked “does this feel good amanda” to which she was able to shake her head in a yes motion (limited movement, but movement none the less. Doctor there shook his head and told them, quite literally you all have just witnessed something i cannot explain, there is no way at this stage of the recovery she should be able to do what she just did, its too soon.

im not a religious guy, just one of those dudes that need to see proof before i can invest, blind faith on anything has never sat right with me; but with the huge turn around since last monday as far as progression; and just how many folks are praying for her; allergies hit me when i have time to go over everything from the day we all heard what happened to today. Ive watched her first response video from last week many times and tear up everytime knowing “shes in there” and is fighting her ass off.

sorry so long if you made it this far, but its one thing to live this/talk with the wife and family, but i just needed to say things to a different group to help cope i guess. I do request that if any of my fellow brothas are the religious sort, if you could say a quick pray asking the big guy to help Amanda and her family in this difficult time, id be very grateful for it.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to IHI For This Useful Post:

BigJohnny (04-14-2018),BRICKS (04-13-2018),bsw5 (04-15-2018),Jada (04-16-2018),jennerrator (04-13-2018),Jin (04-14-2018),motown1002 (04-16-2018),Mr P (04-14-2018),NbleSavage (04-14-2018),stonetag (04-14-2018),ToolSteel (04-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,489 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Wow. That's awful. I woke up this morning after peeing 5 times last night. Made coffee, read this post and started weeping. Then I took an extra dose of adex. 100% serious.

My family will be praying for Amanda. I don't consider myself religous, I do have a deep faith in a Higher Power. My experience in walking in faith has been that God/Higher Power/Universe can use all things for Good. Even tragic things like this. I will be praying that healing and light would be brought to many through Amanda's tragedy.

We will pray for her comfort and strength and supernatural healing.
    Last edited by Jin; 04-13-2018 at 07:39 PM.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jin For This Useful Post:

BRICKS (04-13-2018),dk8594 (04-13-2018),Gibsonator (04-13-2018),IHI (04-13-2018),ToolSteel (04-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 1,779 Posts
    Wow man, very sorry to hear this, I will send some good energy her way. Glad she's making progress and I hope for the best. Thanks for sharing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gibsonator For This Useful Post:

IHI (04-13-2018)

Super Moderator/Fierce Fighter jennerrator's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 2,792 Posts
    Will definitely pray for her....I get how you feel... and it's amazing she seems to be getting better!!!
    DO FUUCKING WORK! STRENGTH FIRST BOSTON!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jennerrator For This Useful Post:

IHI (04-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,319 Times in 770 Posts
    I learned the hard way there comes a point where you shouldn’t blame people for their weaknesses but just love them unconditionaly instead. When the time inevitably comes, it’s the only thing that matters.

Hopefully she bucks the odds and fully recovers. Seeing the support and care you’re family and friends are providing might send her down a different path. Wish you all the best of luck.
    “The only natural test-boosters I know of that work are compound lifting, steaks, and looking at boobies...” -Dan

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Viduus For This Useful Post:

BigGameHunter (04-14-2018),IHI (04-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 805 Posts
    Sending good vibes your way man! Hoping for the best
    You can get the dick just call me the ballsack-Marshall Mathers

If i said it then i meant it-Me

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Robdjents For This Useful Post:

IHI (04-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thank you all for the kind words, these types of posts are hard to reply too for me when ofhers are in a hard time, i just feel i dont know how to express what i want to say in my heart, and dont want to say something that may be misconstrued or weird, but its comforting to hear from my board brothas and sisters; so thank you all very much. I know my E is in check so keeping Dex the same lol; but what a gut punch this is. Most of us at some point did a day drink or a drunk, fell/took a tumble, but to think 1 drunken misstep resulted in the possibility of our niece being a vegtable and leaving her two daughters without a mom so to speak hit me and still hits me hard.

took 3 trips to ICU before i could go in her room, i dont/didnt want my last time seeing her to be erased by her having a shaved head, tubes down her throat, sensors and monitors all over her with big scars on her skull from both surgeries....but wife held my hand and i was able to go in, hold her hand/rub her hand while wife told her we were there. We seen on the brain monitor she was “awake”, and she was moving her good side arm/leg, but i wasnt able to speak, it was all i could donnot to blubber like a child, had tears rolling down my cheek, doing the deep breathing looking at ceiling trying to stem off an emotional shit storm inside me, i save those for my alone times.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IHI For This Useful Post:

jennerrator (04-13-2018),Robdjents (04-13-2018),Viduus (04-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,375 Times in 667 Posts
    Posts like these always remind me that strength isn’t about muscle. You’ve got a strong lady there. Positive thoughts for all of you.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dk8594 For This Useful Post:

BigGameHunter (04-14-2018),IHI (04-13-2018),motown1002 (04-16-2018),NbleSavage (04-14-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dk8594 View Post
    Posts like these always remind me that strength isn’t about muscle. You’ve got a strong lady there. Positive thoughts for all of you.
    Brotha, you are exactly right!! Everyone heres knows very well the mind is soo much more powerful than the body, and we all tap it for this sport/hobby we enjoy/love!! Then we’ve all seen “come back” videos where people beat all odds because they refused to accept being held down/held back!! Warrior mentality all the way.

our niece has always been a strong willed girl and no doubt has the internal fortitude to give this fight all she has and then some, unfortunately shes made poor choices in the past, but my wifes family (very big and side niece is on) love her just the same and always will regardless of dumb things she’s done, so there is a great support network, my niece is never alone unless nurses/doc orders it for rest; but we’re looking forward to getting her into general care once weened off the ventilator since that too will be a huge stepping stone for all of us right now as we cling to any type of forward momentum regardless of how small.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,866 Times in 1,603 Posts
    We will pray for her here Ihi.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRICKS For This Useful Post:

IHI (04-14-2018),Jin (04-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,141 Times in 2,656 Posts
    Ive lost count of how many times my little one wasn’t expected to make it through the night. That was well over a decade ago. The will to fight and live is in the blood. It’s a powerful thing. Prayer, meditation, faith, positive vibes call it what you will it works. I will do that for sure. Hang in there.

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BigGameHunter For This Useful Post:

IHI (04-14-2018),Jin (04-14-2018),Mr P (04-15-2018),NbleSavage (04-14-2018),stonetag (04-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,542 Times in 3,012 Posts
    Not much on the "God" front. I believe all animals have a connection, and when that connection is broken it is felt throughout, we are a social group (pack) in the order of things, and when one of ours is down the pack mentality really shines. Didn't mean to get all corny, just my thoughts.
    Sometimes in life you have to stop and think, Is it worth the jail time?

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stonetag For This Useful Post:

BigGameHunter (04-15-2018),IHI (04-14-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast