False grip

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Cruising the internet, I bumped into some dude reping 315 on the bench, using a false grip. Long before the internet was around, I surmised that having a solid grip on the bar is a good idea while holding it during the bench. But these days, we have a shit load of failed lifts on Youtube where guys are dumping a lot of weight onto there now flail chest, yet no one has made the connection.

You think there's a reason some PL Feds will not allow you to take a false grip? Or that they call it a suicide grip for a reason?

Last edited:

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Dave Tate has a pretty detailed video out saying there's nothing wrong with a suicide grip. I never had a problem with it either.

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
Ppl use the false grip bc it’s easier to get the bar over the forearm without bending the wrist back. Technically, there is t anything wrong with it so long as you don’t lose the bar lolol. I use the thumbs around grip. Always have and always will.

edit* and Snake, wrist DOMS is NOT a good indication.... blah. Blah blah :p

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If I understand correctly...I don’t use a full grip either...don’t use my thumbs...never have...correct me if I’m wrong :32 (20):

GotClen

Elite
Reaction score
Started early in training with thumb wrapped around bar.
Years later moved the thumb in line with fingers. Gotten
used to that grip never thought much about it.
G

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
It's all good until it's your neck, or chest, or head. Shit happens in the blink of an eye. Stay safe.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
Full grip for pretty much everything except for stuff like skull crushers or french presses. Tried it with military press and was a little eh about it.

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
Wrote a post on this very thing a few years ago, I stressed full grip, others did not.
Search Suicide grip...."Thumbs"

Last edited:

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Dave Tate has a pretty detailed video out saying there's nothing wrong with a suicide grip. I never had a problem with it either.

He also said more injuries happen with a standard grip. Well considering most people use a standard grip, you don't have to be a mathematical wizard to make that statement.

"When your pecs are tore up and then reattached, it's hard to rely on them for any pressing power" Really? Because I had that injury (with surgery) and still was able to compete in a meet 2 years later at the same level without a false grip.

He also stated that he was doing 520 with a standard grip and then was doing over 600 and just missed 700 with a false grip. I'm supposed to buy that a false grip added that because that's what's implied.

It's all good until it's your neck, or chest, or head. Shit happens in the blink of an eye. Stay safe.

You can't fix dead.

Let us assume you didn't die or get permanently disabled from dropping a few hundred pounds on your chest. Among top athletes, what is the one limiting factor that you always hear them saying holds them back? Poor diet? Lack of rest? Not enough time training? Crap for genetics? No, the one thing you always hear from guys who are about to breach the pinnacle of their game and just can't hit the high note is.... INJURY. That being the case, why would you chance a catastrophic injury for little to no return?

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
I used to use suicide grip and had a hard time transitioning to standard but I’ve seen some nasty accidents with some big weight so I made the change. Initially my bench took a little hit but went back up after getting used to it. I still use the suicide for close grip and even with lighter weight it’s still potentially dangerous but feels easier on my shoulders. As I’ve gotten older I’ve taken things into consideration and am a little more conservative. But to each his own.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I only use it on warm up sets. It just feels more comfortable than wrapping the thumbs.

This is is my gig.....thumbs just don’t feel right

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I only use it on warm up sets...
41izJxuN%2BTL.jpg

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
I used suicide grip for yearsssss. Made the switch about a year ago to start wrapping my thumbs. When you're pushing heavy weight u can still dump the bar on your chest just as fast with a full grip. Your thumbs aren't gonna stop 500 pounds from falling.
Steve gentili is a 600 pound presser and he just had this happen to him with a full grip. It can happen either way.

Suicide grip makes it easier to get the bar on the thumb pad which is the strongest spot in your hand. But people don't realize u can still get it in that same spot while wrapping your thumb, u just have to rotate your hand after u grip the bar. Took me a while to get it down but def feels stronger with my thumb around the bar now. U can squeeze the bar much harder with thumbs wrapped.

Last edited:

Solomc

Elite
Reaction score
It’s all in that palm placement on the bar. At least that’s my opinion

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Snake........why is this in the New Member Intro area?

Old mfer losing his marbles I swear.........

Beezy

Elite
Reaction score
I used suicide grip for yearsssss. Made the switch about a year ago to start wrapping my thumbs. When you're pushing heavy weight u can still dump the bar on your chest just as fast with a full grip. Your thumbs aren't gonna stop 500 pounds from falling.
Steve gentili is a 600 pound presser and he just had this happen to him with a full grip. It can happen either way.

Suicide grip makes it easier to get the bar on the thumb pad which is the strongest spot in your hand. But people don't realize u can still get it in that same spot while wrapping your thumb, u just have to rotate your hand after u grip the bar. Took me a while to get it down but def feels stronger with my thumb around the bar now. U can squeeze the bar much harder with thumbs wrapped.

https://youtu.be/3dGvEy3Fx1U

Next week would be the first time I was not excited about chest day.

New Threads