BB Comp Prep

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
For those of you who’ve competed... what were the major steps in your show prep? It seems like a mystery but it’s fascinating to me. I.e when are carbs cut/added... what is the lifting like etc?

Last edited:

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
It's been many....many years for me but I would cut carbs out completely six days out, load the last 2 days before the show. I'm sure that's the wrong way by today's standards but that's what I did. Sodium was cut out 3 days before the show.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I only ever completed when I was a teenager. Finished last in my first show and first in my second ( in a field of 2). I am probably more qualified to tell you what not to do.

- Don’t try to survive on 5 cans of tuna, coffee, and mct oil.
- Don’t buy your trunks the week prior to the show and panic if they don’t fit.
- Don’t do a sh%tty job dubbing your posing music onto a tape cassette.
- Don’t do hours of cardio on an exercise bike with a seat that makes your balls go numb.

I have many other “ Don’t dos” but this should get you started :)

motown1002

Elite
Reaction score
I have competed for 6 years before my hiatus. There is so much prep work involved. Dieting for the show usually starts 16 weeks out. This is assuming that you are about 10% bf at that time. If not, you should consider a later show. Cardio is a must. Clean diet is a must. Do you have a cheat meal? (I said meal not day) Sure, once every couple weeks, until 4 weeks out. You must monitor your body every single week. If you are not dropping bf, cut more cals or do more cardio. The key here is to keep as much muscle as possible. Tan.. While you are tanning if in a booth, practice your "relaxed pose". Also, you must pose every day. You don't want to look like that one idiot on stage that has no clue. lol Do the workouts change? Not until about 4 weeks out. Then its higher reps and supersets. Routine....... have your song and routine picked out when you pick your show. Get your posing trunks or banana hammock ready long before you need it.

There is so much more, but here is another tidbit. The last week of the show, I always pounded water. 3 gallons a day. Cut salt 3 days before show. Lower water intake 3 days before show. Some take it completely out the day before but I think that's old school now. There are some tricks for day of but I will save that.....

Hope this little start helps...

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Hurt, you taking notes? :32 (17):

andy

Elite
Reaction score
calories cut as I go deeper in prep (usually prep takes 12-16w)
low carbs ,high protein, mid fats (refeed when feeling depleted and dead once in 2w maybe)
no water law 24h prior show or so.
carb up night before show with slow carbs then switching to higher carbs as show comes closer. Maybe a cheescake before the show or something extra sweet.
can of coke 10min before stage/pump and ready to go.

andy

Elite
Reaction score
workouts are rally cardio and full body (except legs, I stop training then 2-3w prior show) workouts with short rest for glycogen to get out.

If i come up with something more I'll post it up here.

Ofcourse not everything what works for one person will work for the other. but hope it helps somebody.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
low carbs ,high protein, mid fats (refeed when feeling depleted and dead once in 2w maybe)

What are your refeeds like? (Curious since this applies to general dieting too)

Thanks for the detailed answers. I’ll never compete but I’m very interested in the process as a general BBing fan. Makes the final results that much more impressive when you understand all the detailed work that went into it.

bvs

Elite
Reaction score
Some random thoughts:
Practice posing, lots
Start tanning months out
Know your routine with your eyes closed
I started out low carb, when my weight loss stalled i changed to carb cycling and started losing again
I had one cheat dinner a week and trained legs or back the day after
Dont cut too much water or take diuretics, you will look flat
Sort your tan, music and trunks with plenty of time to spare
Give your friends/family/partner a warning that you will most likely be a cranky bastard at some point

andy

Elite
Reaction score
What are your refeeds like? (Curious since this applies to general dieting too)

Thanks for the detailed answers. I’ll never compete but I’m very interested in the process as a general BBing fan. Makes the final results that much more impressive when you understand all the detailed work that went into it.

let's say I'm on 100g carbs, I would do my refeed around 300-600carbs , im really trying to listen to my body. few times I just took 1Kg of rice ,cooked it up and eat it all during the day.
When My muscles feel full on the next morning I can tell it was a good refeed the previous day.

New Threads