Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,487 Posts
    Pillar of Boxes said it. You need to find what works best for you. For the longest time since a teenager I used an oly style squat setup. it worked great for being I built 28'quads doing so. as time passes I started to experiment with different styles. I seemed to have adapted pretty well to all of them. squatting is life. it's the king of all exercises. I can walk in the gym feeling like shit. spend some time in the squat rack and man, what a difference.
    I'm alot of shit but fake ain't it...

THERE IS NO PAIN
    that I cannot and will not fight through.

Strength First.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seeker For This Useful Post:

BRICKS (05-24-2018),Viduus (05-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,487 Posts
    and over 35 years of squatting and never a single knee issue. Even now I don't wear sleeves and I only wrap when going for a tough double or single. Part of spreading the floor terminology is to keep your knees from caving inward.
    I'm alot of shit but fake ain't it...

THERE IS NO PAIN
    that I cannot and will not fight through.

Strength First.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Seeker For This Useful Post:

automatondan (05-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,650 Times in 4,331 Posts
    It's not really "spreading the floor" it's more of just rooting your feet to the ground.

And as u get stronger your stance will naturally feel better going wider because your hips are such a strong part of the squat and will want to take most of the load.
    Strengthfirst

Thanks
    Thanked 6,697 Times in 2,925 Posts
    Try the Viduus Method. By most standards, I do a lot of things different than most people but it works for me.
    Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Viduus View Post

How universal is the whole wide-stance “spread the floor” style for squatting?

While going on an Internet journey researching lifting shoes I came across some writings on that method. (West side?)

As most of you know, I’m about as far from a PL as one could possibly be. I do a fair amount of squats and some OLY lifts like cleans but I’ve never pushed myself.

As I attempt to go a lot heavier on my squatting, is this the method I should focus on?
    There was this guy in my gym who would only squat wide stance, said he couldn't get to paralell without having a wide stance due to his gut being in the way lol.
    NOt saying its a thing just for fat/heavier people, but it definitely is an advantageous position for them. I usually take a shoulder width stance as my basic stance, the heavier I go, the wider my stance gets. Never gets to sumo width though.

Thanks
    Even though im a bodybuilder, i do a wide stance squat and sumo deadlift. For me it works because i can keep my form better and it feels easier on my knees. And for what it's worth, i recall louis from Westside saying something along the lines of "a wide stance guy can go narrow and lift just as much, but not the other way around"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bvs For This Useful Post:

Viduus (05-12-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,573 Times in 927 Posts
    I think you should spread that whore I mean floor no matter how wide your stance is. The purpose is to root into the ground as my man Ecks said. Width is preference, I think rooting into the ground should be mandatory.

Don't be a pussy. Crack a high life. Pack a dip. Listen. Beat your ol' lady. Pet your dog.
    Cornelius Coanbread J. Oliver

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Milo For This Useful Post:

Viduus (05-12-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12