Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Elevated liver enzymes?

Got blood work last week and my ast was 68, and alt is 67. i am on test c 500mg/wk not sure if this would elevate them I was also sick with the flu and diarrhea the week of the last test. Any chance of this being from the gear or from being sick? my Dr wants me to retest in a couple weeks and i want to make sure their in the normal range so he dosent keep sending me for blood work.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 532 Posts
    Lifting weights in general causes a spike in your ast/alt. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2291230/ Mine always runs high.

Any meds you took for the flu could also impact them.

Snake posted up some additional links if you'd prefer a less technical read.

https://www.ugbodybuilding.com/threa...ver+blood+work

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dk8594 For This Useful Post:

snake (05-15-2018),Zxrs5681 (05-15-2018)

Thanks
    Your values are slightly elevated outside of the safe range but nothing super concerning I wouldn't think.

From what I've seen the flu can case elevated values in some cases. Are you a drinker? Are you taking any orals (such as dbol)? What else are you taking other than the test?
    Newbies Please Read: https://www.ugbodybuilding.com/threads/3728-First-Cycle-All-You-Need-to-Know

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyWoodCole For This Useful Post:

Zxrs5681 (05-15-2018)

Thanks
    i dont drink, no orals the only thing i took was some NyQuil a couple nights the week before the test. i told my doctor about the NyQuil and that i work out a lot and he said that would have no effect on the test which is bs i know but im just trying to make him happy and get them down so he dosent do any other test.

Elite
    Thanks
    A lot of fast food, raises my liver enzymes.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bicepticon For This Useful Post:

Zxrs5681 (05-15-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zxrs5681 View Post
    i dont drink, no orals the only thing i took was some NyQuil a couple nights the week before the test. i told my doctor about the NyQuil and that i work out a lot and he said that would have no effect on the test which is bs i know but im just trying to make him happy and get them down so he dosent do any other test.
    Fair enough. If you're concerned about it get some NAC or Milk Thistle to help out with the liver enzymes.

Secondly, I would encourage you to take better control of your own healthcare. Doctors are not the law, you can't be arrested or antagonized for refusing a test or choosing a different course of action that you press upon the doc. He can't decide to run tests without your consent, you can just say 'no thanks' and thats the end of it.
    Newbies Please Read: https://www.ugbodybuilding.com/threads/3728-First-Cycle-All-You-Need-to-Know

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyWoodCole For This Useful Post:

dk8594 (05-15-2018),Zxrs5681 (05-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 532 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zxrs5681 View Post
    My doctor tried the same thing....asked me 3x how much alcohol I consumer (answer: none) and said weight lifting doesn't impact the #s. You have to remember that they are trained to treat the general population; not you, me, and the others on this board who regularly put our bodies to the test. Keep in mind there are other markers for liver function (alkaline phosphatase, albumin,bilirubin), which I'm guessing in your case are fine. But if you want to know for sure, and get an accurate ast/alt, take a week off of training before your next labs.
    Last edited by dk8594; 05-15-2018 at 08:56 AM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dk8594 For This Useful Post:

HollyWoodCole (05-15-2018),Jin (05-15-2018),Zxrs5681 (05-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,364 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dk8594 View Post
    My doctor tried the same thing....asked me 3x how much alcohol I consumer (answer: none) and said weight lifting doesn't impact the #s. You have to remember that they are trained to treat the general population; not you, me, and the others on this board who regularly put our bodies to the test. Keep in mind there are other markers for liver function (alkaline phosphatase, albumin,bilirubin), which I'm guessing in your case are fine. But if you want to know for sure, and get an accurate ast/alt, take a week off of training before your next labs.
    This.

Mine we're always elevated. Almost exactly OPs numbers. Tested on a deload week. Perfectly in range.

Blood, sweat and years.
    *and tren

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jin For This Useful Post:

dk8594 (05-15-2018),Zxrs5681 (05-15-2018)

Thanks
    Maybe I can be of service. I don't have your labs to reference, so I'll make some general statements. Typically my more advanced clients I like to check liver and blood count frequently. Why? Because as your RBC count is increasing, your liver is working harder to filter out the older RBC's that are dying. Traditional healthcare providers will see an elevate AST and ALT and make assumptions like alcohol abuse. As mentioned earlier, its not that big of a deal as long as you are aware and check your numbers. Double check your CBC.
    Know Your Numbers

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Lab Lady For This Useful Post:

Zxrs5681 (05-15-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Lady View Post
    Maybe I can be of service. I don't have your labs to reference, so I'll make some general statements. Typically my more advanced clients I like to check liver and blood count frequently. Why? Because as your RBC count is increasing, your liver is working harder to filter out the older RBC's that are dying. Traditional healthcare providers will see an elevate AST and ALT and make assumptions like alcohol abuse. As mentioned earlier, its not that big of a deal as long as you are aware and check your numbers. Double check your CBC.
    RBC was 4.96 mill/mcl.
    I'm not really concerned about it just want to get the doctor off my back about it and hopefully find a better one. As a side note he also lectured me on how protein and creatine were bad and triple my risk of cancer when I told him I get nearly 200g protein he said "I don't know where you're getting this information from but it's wrong .5g per lb is the most recommend".

Thanks
    Yeah, you're good! Your liver and kidneys will undergo more stress, I'm sure you've heard- drink more water! Also, your sodium intake is important for cellular hydration.
    Know Your Numbers

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,353 Posts
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2291230/

There are several research articles published to back up the fact that liver enzymes are elevated with intense weight training. All of my docs don't even question this, they know this. If you are actually one of the guys on this board who does lift I wouldn't worry about it at all.

And unless you have kidney issues to begin with, the amount of protein you're taking isn't gonna hurt them. Your doctor should know this too.

Find a different doctor.
    Last edited by BRICKS; 05-15-2018 at 06:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast