Elevated liver enzymes?

Zxrs5681

Reaction score
Got blood work last week and my ast was 68, and alt is 67. i am on test c 500mg/wk not sure if this would elevate them I was also sick with the flu and diarrhea the week of the last test. Any chance of this being from the gear or from being sick? my Dr wants me to retest in a couple weeks and i want to make sure their in the normal range so he dosent keep sending me for blood work.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Your values are slightly elevated outside of the safe range but nothing super concerning I wouldn't think.

From what I've seen the flu can case elevated values in some cases. Are you a drinker? Are you taking any orals (such as dbol)? What else are you taking other than the test?

Zxrs5681

Reaction score
i dont drink, no orals the only thing i took was some NyQuil a couple nights the week before the test. i told my doctor about the NyQuil and that i work out a lot and he said that would have no effect on the test which is bs i know but im just trying to make him happy and get them down so he dosent do any other test.

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i dont drink, no orals the only thing i took was some NyQuil a couple nights the week before the test. i told my doctor about the NyQuil and that i work out a lot and he said that would have no effect on the test which is bs i know but im just trying to make him happy and get them down so he dosent do any other test.
Fair enough. If you're concerned about it get some NAC or Milk Thistle to help out with the liver enzymes.

Secondly, I would encourage you to take better control of your own healthcare. Doctors are not the law, you can't be arrested or antagonized for refusing a test or choosing a different course of action that you press upon the doc. He can't decide to run tests without your consent, you can just say 'no thanks' and thats the end of it.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

My doctor tried the same thing....asked me 3x how much alcohol I consumer (answer: none) and said weight lifting doesn't impact the #s. You have to remember that they are trained to treat the general population; not you, me, and the others on this board who regularly put our bodies to the test. Keep in mind there are other markers for liver function (alkaline phosphatase, albumin,bilirubin), which I'm guessing in your case are fine. But if you want to know for sure, and get an accurate ast/alt, take a week off of training before your next labs.

Last edited:

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
My doctor tried the same thing....asked me 3x how much alcohol I consumer (answer: none) and said weight lifting doesn't impact the #s. You have to remember that they are trained to treat the general population; not you, me, and the others on this board who regularly put our bodies to the test. Keep in mind there are other markers for liver function (alkaline phosphatase, albumin,bilirubin), which I'm guessing in your case are fine. But if you want to know for sure, and get an accurate ast/alt, take a week off of training before your next labs.

This.

Mine we're always elevated. Almost exactly OPs numbers. Tested on a deload week. Perfectly in range.

Lab Lady

Lady Member
Reaction score
Maybe I can be of service. I don't have your labs to reference, so I'll make some general statements. Typically my more advanced clients I like to check liver and blood count frequently. Why? Because as your RBC count is increasing, your liver is working harder to filter out the older RBC's that are dying. Traditional healthcare providers will see an elevate AST and ALT and make assumptions like alcohol abuse. As mentioned earlier, its not that big of a deal as long as you are aware and check your numbers. Double check your CBC.

Zxrs5681

Reaction score
Maybe I can be of service. I don't have your labs to reference, so I'll make some general statements. Typically my more advanced clients I like to check liver and blood count frequently. Why? Because as your RBC count is increasing, your liver is working harder to filter out the older RBC's that are dying. Traditional healthcare providers will see an elevate AST and ALT and make assumptions like alcohol abuse. As mentioned earlier, its not that big of a deal as long as you are aware and check your numbers. Double check your CBC.

RBC was 4.96 mill/mcl.
I'm not really concerned about it just want to get the doctor off my back about it and hopefully find a better one. As a side note he also lectured me on how protein and creatine were bad and triple my risk of cancer when I told him I get nearly 200g protein he said "I don't know where you're getting this information from but it's wrong .5g per lb is the most recommend".

Lab Lady

Lady Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you're good! Your liver and kidneys will undergo more stress, I'm sure you've heard- drink more water! Also, your sodium intake is important for cellular hydration.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2291230/

There are several research articles published to back up the fact that liver enzymes are elevated with intense weight training. All of my docs don't even question this, they know this. If you are actually one of the guys on this board who does lift I wouldn't worry about it at all.

And unless you have kidney issues to begin with, the amount of protein you're taking isn't gonna hurt them. Your doctor should know this too.

Find a different doctor.

Last edited:

Rhino99

Elite
Reaction score
Pain meds, ibuprofen, acetaminophen all raise liver enzymes.

My last labs came back high also but thats because ive been dealing with 2 herniated discs and was on copious amount off all I listed above.

Zxrs5681

Reaction score
Pain meds, ibuprofen, acetaminophen all raise liver enzymes.

My last labs came back high also but thats because ive been dealing with 2 herniated discs and was on copious amount off all I listed above.

Apparently not according to my doctor. Neither will lifting.

New Threads