Go-to staples for Carbs?

BrutesorGods

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am 190 lbs (12-13% bf just guessing) looking to lean up just a bit and have never been able to nail down my diet just right. I am working out 2x a day many days (but, otherwise, I work a desk job and am quite lazy)

My daily diet "goal": 2600 KCal, shooting for 40% carb, 30% carb, 30% protein (not sure if this is ideal)

Anyway, my main carb sources are figs/bananas (if i'm about to workout) or white rice and sweet potatoes and usually if I miss certain meals due to work I end up with the macros below (always over on fat and way under on carbs). Most easy-to-get carb sources that I know of are garbage. What are your go-to (relatively healthy) carb sources?

4OsFJzY.png

BrutesorGods

Reaction score
btw all that excess protein and fat mainly came from a gigantic spinach/walnut/cranberry salad with double chicken I'm quite fond of.

Last edited:

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
rice works fine for me and is a so incredibly simple with a quality rice cooker. Grill 5# or more of chicken at once, portion it all up with plain rice. Then keep several different flavors of marinade in the fridge so you can change things up whenever you want.

motown1002

Elite
Reaction score
I cook Jasmine Rice in my cooker. Red potatoes are also good. Morning I eat oats or Cream of Rice. Post workout carb is vitargo.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Potatoes or rice with my evening meal pretzels during the day and some carbs in my yogurt.

I don't try to load up before my work outs. Your storing enough in your muscles and liver to get you though any workout. There's about 2,000 calories stored for on demand use; you're not burning through that with a normal weight training workout.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
And it’s sad how chicken is what is thought the MAIN protein..I never even ate it!!

Beezy

Elite
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am 190 lbs (12-13% bf just guessing) looking to lean up just a bit and have never been able to nail down my diet just right. I am working out 2x a day many days (but, otherwise, I work a desk job and am quite lazy)

My daily diet "goal": 2600 KCal, shooting for 40% carb, 30% carb, 30% protein (not sure if this is ideal)

Anyway, my main carb sources are figs/bananas (if i'm about to workout) or white rice and sweet potatoes and usually if I miss certain meals due to work I end up with the macros below (always over on fat and way under on carbs). Most easy-to-get carb sources that I know of are garbage. What are your go-to (relatively healthy) carb sources?

4OsFJzY.png

How tall are you?

BrutesorGods

Reaction score
Pretzels were an interesting one and I'll probably try Vitargo. I may try oats again but somethin about em. Could be in my head but I seem to bloat up on oats.

I did do better today but was still over on fat and under on carbs. Basically sounds like I just need to ****in plan better for those busy days. I also may try simply cutting back a little more on fat where I can. 2 eggs in the morning instead of 3, less nuts, etc.

Beezy

Elite
Reaction score
I'm 5'10" .

At 5’10”, 190Lbs and 12% body fat you’re around 167 lean. You either have the smallest bones ever, or not much muscle at all.
I believe you would have more fun adding muscle than burning fat. You’ll be surprised how much leaner you look with pecs and traps.

BrutesorGods

Reaction score
At 5’10”, 190Lbs and 12% body fat you’re around 167 lean. You either have the smallest bones ever, or not much muscle at all.
I believe you would have more fun adding muscle than burning fat. You’ll be surprised how much leaner you look with pecs and traps.

That is probably fair. Now you got me looking for my DXA scan results I got last year and can't find anywhere. I think I'm a bit lower than that but It doesn't change my macros or calorie count by much, no? My gains lately have been quite good without any extra gear. (provided I get my carbs in). What BF% would you "bulk" to before cutting back? I used to be ~120 lbs overweight so I have a bit of a fat phobia heh

Beezy

Elite
Reaction score
That is probably fair. Now you got me looking for my DXA scan results I got last year and can't find anywhere. I think I'm a bit lower than that but It doesn't change my macros or calorie count by much, no? My gains lately have been quite good without any extra gear. (provided I get my carbs in). What BF% would you "bulk" to before cutting back? I used to be ~120 lbs overweight so I have a bit of a fat phobia heh

10% over your tdee with 200g protein/day.
Cut down to four or five heavy lifting sessions a week. You won’t get fat at that rate and you will probably bulk fairly fast.