Strength Program Smart While Cutting? To maintain as much muscle as possible?

Reaction score
Strength & muscle loss are not the same thing. Common mistake a lot of folks make.

A smart program to run while cutting is one that is designed to maintain muscle mass as the primary goal, not strength. That means any non-retarded bodybuilding routine designed to suite your experience level. A basic Upper/Lower split with a median level of volume will do just fine. You can adjust from there depending on a bunch of stuff that I can't be bothered to go into unless you specifically want to know the details (volume correlates with deficit size, bigger the deficit - in daily & total - the lower the volume needs to be, etc).

I've never lost strength when cutting. Neither have 99% of my clients. Yes, you get weird lifts where you think you're losing strength (bench for example) but it has more to do with loss of leverage rather than anything else. It's a non-issue for most folks who aren't actual strength competitors.

FWIW, I don't recommend 5/3/1 or any other program with strength, not muscle growth, as the primary goal. It isn't optimal.

Thanks for your advice I really do appreciate it!

You said just sticking to a upper / lower program would be best for me while cutting down on fat and to maintain muscle.
Last question.. For advanced/experienced lifters Do you know any upper/lower programs on the top of your head that I should check out so I can study in depth what to actually do in the gym, reps and sets ECT. Ive seen some random no name people on youtube make Upper/lower programs and it didn't look too good lol.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice I really do appreciate it!

You said just sticking to a upper / lower program would be best for me while cutting down on fat and to maintain muscle.
Last question.. For advanced/experienced lifters Do you know any upper/lower programs on the top of your head that I should check out so I can study in depth what to actually do in the gym, reps and sets ECT. Ive seen some random no name people on youtube make Upper/lower programs and it didn't look too good lol.

Not to be a jerk BUT: if you are an advanced/experienced lifter you would not be asking these sorts of questions about programming.

Compound movements.
Keep the rep range 8-15

other than that there is a ton of flexibility and less right/wrong answers.

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
I just want to do whatevers best to maintain as much muscle as possible while loosing 80-100 pounds. Im just alittle confused, I was always told if you want to maintain as much muscle as possible while loosing weight, you have to try to maintain as much strength as possible. So therefore I thought it was smart to try a strength training program? Correct me if im wrong.

Maybe i misunderstood what you're shooting for. For that my apologies. I confused myself by thinking a strength training program would be good for maintaining muscle.

Plenty of expertise in this thread.. Best of luck

Reaction score
Not to be a jerk BUT: if you are an advanced/experienced lifter you would not be asking these sorts of questions about programming.

Compound movements.
Keep the rep range 8-15

Your good, Tbh I only know how to lift when bulking, not cutting, that’s the part I’m confused hence the thread(I’ve failed miserably in the past with cutting) , and I said advanced so I could find something best for me, I would think I should try a program for people that have been in the gym for awhile instead of a beginner programz I was looking for more of a detailed program on top of compound movements&accessories but thanks everyone.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Compound movements.
Keep the rep range 8-15

There is an old pervasive line of thought that when you cut it's better to use lighter weight and higher reps. I don't blame him for asking. All of my most successful cuts were done while prepping for a PL meet.

Edit: to clarify and respond somewhat to zilla's comment about not using strength programs rather than muscle building programs - the methods I used for PL involved ridiculous volumes that did induce muscle growth. So I do agree with him. In fact with clients I would help cut down I always kept their focus on building muscle not losing fat. That especially helps your more... um... neurotic clients.

Last edited:

New Threads