Keto: the bitch maker

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
Keto+OMAD is where its at for me and my body type. I gain both fat and muscle pretty easy. Which leaves my body always wanting to rest around 20% BF. As soon as I start keto and OMAD I drop down BF super fast.

Care to elaborate on OMAD a little? dont think ive heard of that one before.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i do a few keto meals a week but theres no way i could hack it every meal of the day & for 2-4wks......lol

i love my carbs. I can drop down in total cals much easier than just cutting out carbs for a few days.

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
Any of you running keto get sick the first bit you were on it? I tried it a while back and i ended up dizzy and crap all of a sudden one day. Figured it was the diet and pounded some carbs and it all went away not long after.

Tried it again and it was like someone was draining the energy right out of me, i wasnt back in the gym at that time but i dont know how i would have managed a workout even if i had been.

So now im eating a clean diet, in deficit, and keeping my carb intake on the low side and also only eating any either before or after my workouts, on the weekends i drop it even lower or none at all if i can manage. Been trying my best to go for a "no workout, no carb" type thing.

Yes. Same experience. Getting into ketosis can be pretty unpleasant, especially the first time you achieve it.

After the initially "learning curve" my body is able to get into ketosis without feeling like shit.

There is a huge difference between eating 100g of carbs a day and 20g. Especially if you are eating <20/day for consecutive days.

I believe I have already mentioned this, but significantly increasing your sodium intake especially in that first week will drastically improve lethargy issues and just feeling like crap. I use pink Himalayan salt for its idione and mineral content. I actually will grind a pile into my hand and then just lick it. I do this before I go into the gym, or throughout the day as I start feeling a lull in energy.

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
Ok everyone... I promised I would post up a link to a great resource for keto. There are some modified keto diet options for more experienced athletes and bodybuilding which this link goes into great detail about. There are 2 different options (outside of standard keto): TKD (Targeted Keto Diet) and CKD (Cyclical Keto Diet).

I am still working through all the information, but the basic idea of the TKD would resemble carb-cycling on lifting days, taking in around 25-50 grams of carbs pre-workout and then going back into standard keto post-workout. The thought is to give your muscles just enough carbs to help with muscle building while not coming out of ketosis fully.

The basic premise of CKD is maintaining standard keto for 7-14 days and then having like a 36 hr carb loading period where you get around 70% of your cals from carbs. CKD is getting good results in for bodybuilding.

Im thinking of trying the TKD after a couple months of standard keto, but I have done the CKD in years past with great success. Psychologically speaking, the CKD might work better due to giving you some freedom in your diet every once in a while, so it 'could' lead to more long term success.

Anyways, here is the link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/wiki/index

Lemme know what you guys think... Im liking this dialog.

MS1605

Elite
Reaction score
I believe his name was already mentioned in this thread but lyle mcdonald wrote THEE book on CKD. I highly suggest checking it out.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I believe I have already mentioned this, but significantly increasing your sodium intake especially in that first week will drastically improve lethargy issues and just feeling like crap. I use pink Himalayan salt for its idione and mineral content. I actually will grind a pile into my hand and then just lick it. I do this before I go into the gym, or throughout the day as I start feeling a lull in energy.

I have a salt lick tied up to the power rack now. Thanks.

BrotherJ

Elite
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the link. I've been on a traditional cut the last two months and find it hard to maintain at a certain caloric level.

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
You need to try it to know how it works for you. Like any other diet.

Im on week 2 and im testing my piss for ketones multiple times a day. It is working really well.... I went from no 6-pack, to a decent 6-pack with a nice V at the bottom. I know it will only get better the longer I go. I think ive already lost a few percentages on my bf.

The only thing I would change if I were to have a do-over, is take in more protein. I was worried having my protein too high would kick me out of ketosis, but it appears that is broscience for the most part. I stay in a deep level of ketosis (12 mg/dl) even at 1.2 grams of protein per pound.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Im on week 2 and im testing my piss for ketones multiple times a day. It is working really well.... I went from no 6-pack, to a decent 6-pack with a nice V at the bottom. I know it will only get better the longer I go. I think ive already lost a few percentages on my bf.

The only thing I would change if I were to have a do-over, is take in more protein. I was worried having my protein too high would kick me out of ketosis, but it appears that is broscience for the most part. I stay in a deep level of ketosis (12 mg/dl) even at 1.2 grams of protein per pound.

Those piss strips never went darker purple for me. They only pick up extra ketones expelled from your body that you didn't use for energy. The absence of significant ketones in your urine doesn't necessarily mean you aren't in ketosis.

I believe a blood test gives an accurate result.

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
Those piss strips never went darker purple for me. They only pick up extra ketones expelled from your body that you didn't use for energy. The absence of significant ketones in your urine doesn't necessarily mean you aren't in ketosis.

You are correct, blood test is more definitive, but the test strips do work too for the most part... The only inaccuracy ive heard of is it not picking up ketones when you are actually in ketosis, but all my test strips have been dark purple since like day 3-4, with mild fluctuations depending on what I eat.

What amount of carbs were you taking in? It seems to differ from person to person. Ive been taking in around 30 per day.

I think it has helped my ketosis to take little scoops of coconut oil on an empty stomach and then do fasted cardio or lift.

Last edited:

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
You are correct, blood test is more definitive, but the test strips do work too for the most part... The only inaccuracy ive heard of is it not picking up ketones when you are actually in ketosis, but all my test strips have been dark purple since like day 3-4, with mild fluctuations depending on what I eat.

Yes. You are fine. I made the point for other people who may use the strips and think they aren't ketosis even if they are less than 25g of carbs a day but not achieving deep purple on the strips.

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score

What amount of carbs were you taking in? It seems to differ from person to person. Ive been taking in around 30 per day.

I think it has helped my ketosis to take little scoops of coconut oil on an empty stomach and then do fasted cardio or lift.

Yes. You are fine. I made the point for other people who may use the strips and think they aren't ketosis even if they are less than 25g of carbs a day but not achieving deep purple on the strips.

I edited my post and left some questions for you, but you responded to my post before I made the changes...

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Pretty much same experience here. I would register on the piss strips first few days, but as soon as I actually started to burn ketones, as opposed to pissing then out, the piss strips became pointless.

The wife bought me the ketonix breath analyzer for Christmas a few years ago. It gave a good indication of how deep I was in Ketosis, but frankly after you have done a keto diet for awhile you can pretty much feel if you are in or if you are out.

If you wanted to really get dialed in, though, Jin is right. You have to do the blood pricks, but damn those things are expensive.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Pretty much same experience here. I would register on the piss strips first few days, but as soon as I actually started to burn ketones, as opposed to pissing then out, the piss strips became pointless.

The wife bought me the ketonix breath analyzer for Christmas a few years ago. It gave a good indication of how deep I was in Ketosis, but frankly after you have done a keto diet for awhile you can pretty much feel if you are in or if you are out.

If you wanted to really get dialed in, though, Jin is right. You have to do the blood pricks, but damn those things are expensive.

It's gets pretty obvious you are in ketosis when you can have a tablespoon of coconut oil, and half an avocado, workout for 2 hours and still not be that hungry.

MS1605

Elite
Reaction score

Your macro ratio that you read about everywhere online and watch YouTube videos on is not necessarily broscience, the problem is most and by most I mean like 98% of everything you read online about ketosis is actually talking about medical ketosis. As in the type of ketosis that they treat diseases with at a hospital. Those medical ketosis guidelines are a lot more strict than what we need because they are using it to fight a disease not get shredded for the beach.

New Threads