Need Final Help With Macros/Training.

Reaction score
--Currently
5,8 Feet
26 years old
270 pounds / Estimated 37% Body fat. Aiming for 190-200 Pounds for now. I just want to be beach lean so I assume ill have to go down to 170-185?. ( Im doing this Drug Free )

--Macros
2,300 Calories ( I have a desk job and I'm sitting 12-16 hours daily so I'm very inactive. I workout 4-5 times a week for about 80 minutes and thats most of my activity. After going through a-lot of weight loss calculators.. Most said to start at around 2300-2400 calories and adjust from their as needed so I'm going to run that for maybe a month? If I loose too much weight ill increase calories. Unless y'all recommend something else.
259g Carbs
144g Protein
77g Fat

--Training.
In the past I ran 5/3/1 for about 3 years
5x5 Stronglifts for about 2 years
Arnolds blueprint for a year
German Volume and a similar program for 3 years, and bro split for 2-3 years initially.
After asking for advice It seems a Upper/lower program would be best for me while cutting so I'm just going to run that. On top of Cardio (3-5 times a week for 25 minutes of walking/running intervals)

Im not sure if these have too much volume? I was going to aim for for 5x5 on the compounds and 8-12 reps on the accessories.
Heres my 1st option, which one looks best?
[SIZE=+1]The Intermediate Upper/Lower[/SIZE]

Upper A
Bench 3x5
Incline Bench 3x8
Lat Pulldowns 3x8 (any grip)
Bent Over Rows 3x8
Curls 3x10/Reverse Flies 3x12 Superset

Lower A
Squats 3x5
Weighted Back Extensions 3x8
Leg Press 3x10
Leg Curls 3x10
Ab work 3x15/Calf raises 3x12 Superset

Upper B
OHP 3x5
Flies 3x10
Pullups 3x8
Pendlay Rows 3x8
Face Pulls 3x12/Tricep pressdowns 3x10 Superset

Lower B
Front Squat 3x5
Romanian Deadlift 3x8
Leg Extensions 3x10
Leg Curls 3x10
Ab work 3x15/Calf Raises 3x12 Superset

You will be working out 2 consecutive days followed by a rest day and then 2 more consecutive days. Ex: Mon-Upper A, Tues-Lower A, Wed-Rest, Thur-Upper B, Fri-Lower B, Sat-Rest, Sun-Rest, Mon-Upper AÂ…etc.

YouÂ’ll add 5 lbs to all of your upper body lifts* and 10lbs to all of your lower body lifts every 2 weeks. After 1 week increase the reps by 1 on every set. Ex: Instead of doing bench 3x5 you'll do 3x6. At the end of that week weight increases and the reps will drop back down to 3x5.

*The weight increases are halved between DB exercises. Use your best judgment on weight increases for isolation exercises. The progression may be too fast.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
[SIZE=+1]Option 2
Intermediate/Advanced 5 Day Lower/Upper LPP
[/SIZE]

Lower A
Squats 3x5-6
Weighted Back Extensions 3x8-10
Leg Press 3x8-10
Leg Curls 3x10-12
Ab work 3x15-18/Calf raises 3x12-15 Superset

Upper A
Incline Bench 3x5-6
Decline DB Bench 3x8-10
Lat Pulldowns 3x8-10 (any grip)
Bent Over Rows 3x8-10
Curls 3x8-10/Face Pulls 3x10-12 Superset

Legs
*Squat 3x5-6
*DL 3x5-6
Good Morning 3x8-10
Leg Extensions/Leg curls (Superset 3x10-12)
Calf work 3x12-15/Optional Shrugs 3x8-10 (Superset)

Push
*Bench(Horizontal Press) 3x5-6
*OHP(Upward Press) 3x5-6
Dips or fly 3x8-10
Overhead Extensions(long head iso)-3x8-10/Ab work-3x12-15 (Superset)
Lateral Raises 3x10-12

Pull
*Pendlay Rows(Horizontal Pull) 3x5-6
Yates Rows(Upward Pull) 3x5-6
Lat Pulldowns(Downward Pull) 3x8-10 (any grip)
Reverse Flies/Overhead face pulls (Superset 3x10-12) (For facepulls think 60 degree incline for the angle)
Curls 3x8-10

You will be working out 2 consecutive days followed by a rest day and then 3 more consecutive days.

Mon-Lower A
Tue-Upper A
Wed-Rest
Thu-Legs (w/ DL)
Fri-Push
Sat-Pull
Sun-Rest
Repeat

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
OPTION3
Eric Helms Upper/Lower
Monday Upper 1:
Bench 4x 4-6
Row 3x 6-8
Incline DB 3x 8-12
Chin ups 3x 8-12
Triceps 3x 8-12
Biceps 3x 8-12
Lateral Raise 3x 8-12

Tuesday Lower 1
Squat or Deadlift 4x 4-6
Leg extension 3x 8-12
Leg curl 3x 8-12
Standing calf 4x 6-8

Thursday Upper 2
Flat Dumbbell Press 3x 8-12
Lat Pull Down 3x 8-12
Over Head Press 3x 8-12
Row 3x 8-12
Chest Flys 2x 12-15
Triceps 2x 12-15
Biceps 2x 12-15

Friday Lower 2
Leg Press 3x 8-12
RDL 3x 8-12
Leg extension 3x 8-12
Leg curl 3 x 8-12
Seated calf 4x 8-12

Would appreciate any advice thanks all.

Last edited:

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't see any issues. Just get to it and make adjustments as you go.

motown1002

Elite
Reaction score
You say that you "currently" workout 4-5 times a week for 80 minutes? If so, how long have you been doing this and what have been the results so far? Sorry if I missed that info somewhere.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
My advice would be keep the rest between sets low, on the bigger stuff like squats and dead lifts you are going to need a bit longer of a rest, but on all the other stuff id keep it low.
Im in the same place as you, just a bit older.
I have been using no more than one minute between sets, sometimes less, keeps your heart rate up.
Combining some of it into supersets or giant sets will help as well.

Ive dropped a little over 30 pounds like this, along with cardio but it looks like you got that taken care of too.

As far as diet i log everything in to myfittnesspal, and keep my calories in a deficit, i dont count macros personally, diet will be your biggest key to dropping the weight and body fat.

One thing ive found has helped a ton is i started a log on here to track my goal, its a bit daunting if youve never done something like that before for all to see, but ive found the tips and encouragement from everyone here is a big help. Get a pic up there, and update it from time to time, it helps to have others see, you are not always the best judge of your own progress, we have a tendency to only see what needs to change, others have an easier time seeing what has changed.
That part was the toughest for me to do but i did it and have no regrets at all.

Everyone here is super supportive and it has been a big help knowing i got so many people in my corner.

Good luck bro!

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Looks really good to me.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
Id say any of those will work, just pick one and get to it like POB said. In my opinion though id still keep the rest times down, but thats just me. You will find what works for you, when you do just stick to it.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Where you're at, macros don't matter. Just eat less, move more. Personally, higher fat diets keep me feeling more satiated, but it's an individual thing.

Other advice:
- Since you have a sedentary job, go for walks at lunch or go up and down the stairs.
- Pack your food for work
- Get myfitness pal and log your calories
- At 270lbs, your body isn't made for running. Walk or use the elliptical.

Reaction score
You say that you "currently" workout 4-5 times a week for 80 minutes? If so, how long have you been doing this and what have been the results so far? Sorry if I missed that info somewhere.
That was my old routine I just made up. I wanted to go on a more structured program so I did what others recommended.

On this new diet and routine not even a week and went from 274.8 pounds down to 269.8 Routine feels good so far.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My advice would be keep the rest between sets low, on the bigger stuff like squats and dead lifts you are going to need a bit longer of a rest, but on all the other stuff id keep it low.
Im in the same place as you, just a bit older.
I have been using no more than one minute between sets, sometimes less, keeps your heart rate up.
Combining some of it into supersets or giant sets will help as well.

Ive dropped a little over 30 pounds like this, along with cardio but it looks like you got that taken care of too.

As far as diet i log everything in to myfittnesspal, and keep my calories in a deficit, i dont count macros personally, diet will be your biggest key to dropping the weight and body fat.

One thing ive found has helped a ton is i started a log on here to track my goal, its a bit daunting if youve never done something like that before for all to see, but ive found the tips and encouragement from everyone here is a big help. Get a pic up there, and update it from time to time, it helps to have others see, you are not always the best judge of your own progress, we have a tendency to only see what needs to change, others have an easier time seeing what has changed.
That part was the toughest for me to do but i did it and have no regrets at all.

Everyone here is super supportive and it has been a big help knowing i got so many people in my corner.

Good luck bro!
thanks mate I appreciate that. I’m going to start a progress thread

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
That was my old routine I just made up. I wanted to go on a more structured program so I did what others recommended.

On this new diet and routine not even a week and went from 274.8 pounds down to 269.8 Routine feels good so far.

Yeah it comes off fast at first, esp when there is more to lose. Keep it up and don’t get discouraged if things slow down or stall.
i went through like a month where the scale wouldn’t move between 234 to 236. Adjusted my diet a bit and was down to 231 in a couple days and now down to 227.

It will happen but not overnight, keep consistent, keep busting your ass and keep the diet in check and you’ll make it!!!

Reaction score
Yeah it comes off fast at first, esp when there is more to lose. Keep it up and don’t get discouraged if things slow down or stall.
i went through like a month where the scale wouldn’t move between 234 to 236. Adjusted my diet a bit and was down to 231 in a couple days and now down to 227.

It will happen but not overnight, keep consistent, keep busting your ass and keep the diet in check and you’ll make it!!!

In the past I was loosing like 7-8 pounds a week initially and then eventually 3-4 pounds a week then 2.5-3 pounds a week from 288 pounds down to 210 and I never stalled and I was gaining alot of strength using just a power rack and simple compound movements and dumbells.

Unfortunately thats when I went on medication and gained most of the weight back. But yea I've learned that diet is priority and I just gotta keep going hard in the gym and stay consistent. I guess for me it will start getting hard Sub 200s. I hope since ive been weightlifting for awhile .. Im hoping I dont have to cut down to the 160s to be beach lean at 5,8 Ft. Hopefully at 170s 180s ill look ok but time will tell I guess.

I guess for now ill stop running to prevent injury and just do 3mph incline walking on the treadmill for 30min And maybe some weight training cardio at the end if I feel like it. Thanks all for the help.

Last edited:

andy

Elite
Reaction score
as for a natty BB I used these calculations to follow to:

to lose weight:
carbs 0.5to1 g per one kg of your weight (starting 1g and lowering to 0.5 as you want to progress more)
protein 2-2.5g pet one kg of your weight (increase once u started lowering your carbs to preserve muscle loss)
fats 1g per one kg of your weight.

changing up and planning workouts is good. to shock the muscle and stuff.
But nothing will work unless the diet is in check!

andy

Elite
Reaction score
and because u going with (aprox.)2,5gr pet every kg I would start by cutting your carbs to 1.5g per 1kg BM , then after around month to 1g or as u start to progress less.
to spike metabolism I would add a refeed day once a week or two weeks, but only when I'm lean already.

Reaction score
Thanks all for the final help, So far so good.. Started this plan monday at 274.8 and weighed in at 267.4 this morning sunday. I guess after a month if I still loose too much weight ill bump up calories. Im sure most of it is water.
Hit a couple of new PRs of 225x1 on military press and 315x4 on bench and 8 pull ups. I'm hoping to gain a tad bit of strength before I start loosing strength due to weight-loss cutting calories.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Go keto and watch the fat fall away

Reaction score
Go keto and watch the fat fall away

Last time I did that I lost strength rapidly at 240 pounds on 2700 calories on a 5x5 strong lifts routine, I feel like I lost mass lol.
I will admit.. It was easy to diet because all of the fats so it was very satiating.. But after awhile all that meat and fats got annoying.

Reaction score
Haggle1, I was wondering how you've progressed with your diet?

New Threads