Full Body or P/P/L Split?

Reaction score
Which would you guys recommend for a beginner? Do the benefits of one outweigh the other, or is it just more of a personal preference?

Should I be doing something different altogether?

I've been reading too much conflicting info and would rather hear opinions from a group I trust not to bullshit me.

Thanks in advance,
E

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
I’ve enjoyed full body for weight loss and PPL for growth.

Full body isn’t “in style” but it fits my ADHD training style and keeps my from resting to long.

PPL helps me get more intensity into what I’m doing. I tend to forget smaller muscles like calves and arms though.

Try them both and see what you enjoy the most. Focus on how each method makes you feel and how you recover. That way you’ll know what you need when your goals change.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
Once im done with my current program (2 more weeks) im going on vacation and i am leaning to a 5-6 day a week PPL routine. But i like having a lot of lifting days during the week. And i do my cardio after the lifting, except for after leg days, piss on that noise lol.

Jin is right on the money here, at this stage go with what you will stick to and what you find the most enjoyable, yeah there routines that may in a way be better suited for weight loss but at this point (same point im at) anything is going to have a positive effect. As long as you got your diet under control you WILL see results.

One thing that ive tried to do no matter what program/routine im running is keeping my rest times between sets short, a min at most and up to a min and a half on stuff like squats and dead lifts. And no pissing around going between exercises either. I move on to the next, get shit loaded up and get to work.

Reaction score
Alright cool. I suppose I'll just stick to the basic full body I'm doing for a couple more months:

--4 x 8--
Goblet Squat
Bench Press
Bent-Over Row
Overhead Press
Straight Legged Deadlift
Alternating Curls
Calf Raises
10 minutes of static stretching

Am I safe to do this every other day? I was getting pretty sore for the first 3 weeks, but not as bad now. Even with a few pounds added weight.

Thanks for being patient with me.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
That's fine.

Consistency in training and diet is the key for this stage.

Continue to add weight as you get stronger.

This shit ain't easy, so work hard and continue to ask questions when you have them.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Jin is right but dont be afraid to mix things. Switch out an exercise for something that hits the same area. It depends if you find the consistency refreshing or restricting.

If something is sore, listen to your body and work around it. Hit calves or something else you always avoid instead.

Half the fun for me is going in and deciding “What ingredients I want to throw in the meal”. Make it fun and you’ll change your lifestyle.

BrotherJ

Elite
Reaction score
A lot of it may come down to your ability/discipline to get in the gym. People with crazy work schedules may only be able to get 3-4 days in (realistically) and should plan accordingly. I LIKE going to the gym so a 6 day PPLPPL works for me.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
A lot of it may come down to your ability/discipline to get in the gym. People with crazy work schedules may only be able to get 3-4 days in (realistically) and should plan accordingly. I LIKE going to the gym so a 6 day PPLPPL works for me.

"Only 4 days" :32 (18):

New Threads