Biceps......what's your favorite builder for these?

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
So for the most part I focus very much on the big three with some accessory work to fill out the rest of my workout.

One thing I never hit directly is biceps...I usually look at the guys that come in for a "bicep day" as douchebags but I'm getting to the point I would like to have a much better set of bi's than I do now. My triceps have grown to the point where my arms are very heavily back loaded with muscle but not nearly as much on the front, I need more bicep to even them out in my opinion.

So the question stands.......what are your favorite ways to encourage growth for biceps. I will NOT have a full bicep day but I would love to hear what you guys use to build yours. GO!

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
lol...that was part of my issue...not making a "day" for them...but then my days were full so I fuuucked putting them in..but was lucky they built with all the other stuff I was doing...:32 (20):

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Pretty simple. 5 sets of standing barbel curls. Really all you need for what you're looking for.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Pretty simple. 5 sets of standing barbel curls. Really all you need for what you're looking for.

lol...I hated barbell curls...especially if it was the straight bar...I had to use the EZ curl bar

BrotherJ

Elite
Reaction score
I don't think you need a designated "bicep day" - I work it in via any upper body movement day is supplemented with bicep work at the end. My favorite exercises are preacher curls (heavy/low reps and light/high reps), "21's" with an EZ bar, and doing drop sets - 8-10 reps at 45lbs, 40lbs, 35lbs, 30lbs, 25lbs, 20lbs, and 15lbs. Sure, I look weird struggling to curl 15lbs but it blows up your arms. Getting my arms to grow has been a bitch so I have had to focus on a lot of hypertrophy work at least 3x per week. Spongebob anchor arms here I come

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Straight or Z bar?

I would use the ez bar for close grip and straight for wider grip. You don't need all that other crap work. Just straight up and they'll react. You do enough with everything else as you mentioned. I usually just do them at the end of every other workout.

Last edited:

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I would use the ez bar for close grip and straight for wider grip. You don't need all that other crap work. Just straight up and they'll react. You do enough with everything else as you mentioned. I usually just do them at the end of every other workout.

this...

5 sets dedicated to bi's and then all the pulling for back workouts will take care of the rest.

Reaction score
Preacher curls, straight bar 4x20 then 4x5.
I also started doing what Rich Piana called "feeder sets" 3 or 4 times a week at the end of my workouts. 3 supersets of 100 rep dumbbell skullcrushers and 100 reps dumbbell alternate curls, no rest all 3 sets. OUCH!!
I think Rich was a flawed individual in many respects (aren't we all?), But he was right on this, it works. I've been doing it for over a year now and my arms keep growing.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I am the same way. I haven’t done biceps in months and I can’t stand the guys who do twenty plus sets for them. Let me k ow what you think once you start training them.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Ill have to disagree with some of you but everyones body is different. If I go a few weeks without focusing on arms I definitely feel strength declines a little and that if you want really great arms, most people have to work them on their own. 130lb dumbell rows definitely do a lot for bis and forearms but I need a day of just curls as well. I think the two best mass builders for bis are straight bar barbell curls and single arm hammer curls with either dumbells or a single rope on a cable machine.

For general arm growth in general also, if you are using straps for back workouts, STOP!

Oblivious

Reaction score
I have a bit of a hard time with my triceps, always had the biigest biceps around friends and all...one asian kid told me they looked like balloons. my triceps are tiny

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score

Right here, all you need! Heavy weeks, light weeks, its the ultimate builder.
And yes, hammer curls, thanks POB.

Last edited:

ccpro

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I think all this is good info. I don't have huge biceps but my triceps respond well, my arms get very round and fat...I definitely don't have that "from the side arms are big and looking straight at them they're narrow" look. Do you bros know what I mean? I love doing dumbell curls on preacher...they seem to blast me. I don't usually do any more than 8 sets on biceps period.

stevenmd

Elite
Reaction score
I think all this is good info. I don't have huge biceps but my triceps respond well, my arms get very round and fat...I definitely don't have that "from the side arms are big and looking straight at them they're narrow" look. Do you bros know what I mean? I love doing dumbell curls on preacher...they seem to blast me. I don't usually do any more than 8 sets on biceps period.

That's my current struggle... my arms look big from the side but narrow from the front. My tris are pretty big but my biceps look narrow. I have tried everything under the sun to get them to grow thicker. Back to the lab...

New Threads