Biceps......what's your favorite builder for these?

Chillinlow

Reaction score
Pretty simple. 5 sets of standing barbel curls. Really all you need for what you're looking for.

How often you recommend three days a week?

Three days seems best for me anything over and not enough recovery time

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Added standing BB curls and hammers, 5 sets of each, to my workout on Saturday. I used some weight but nothing crazy heavy.

Going to be adding these to my MWF workouts and will post up to let you guys know how its going.

HeiseTX

Reaction score
I like the seated bicep curl from hanging and turning the wrist facing out.

Also don't forget strict drag curls

Intense

Reaction score
For the guys that don’t train biceps specifically probably have decent bicep genetics. It’s needed imo for most all of us. If you’re a bodybuilder, you need to be hitting bis directly as well as indirectly.

As for my favorites probably preacher curls and hammer curls. I always warm up really good and get a lot of blood in there before doing preachers though, as I have seen some pretty bad tears in guys.

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Back from the dead(ish).

Have been running what I initially stated, 5 sets of 8 with standing BB curls and hammers 2x - 3x per week for about a month now. I can definitely see a change in my bicep shape as they are rounding out some for me. The problem I have run into is my forearm and ligaments leading into my elbow have gotten pretty fiery over this thing.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
Back from the dead(ish).

Have been running what I initially stated, 5 sets of 8 with standing BB curls and hammers 2x - 3x per week for about a month now. I can definitely see a change in my bicep shape as they are rounding out some for me. The problem I have run into is my forearm and ligaments leading into my elbow have gotten pretty fiery over this thing.

I get the same, i only hit biceps directly twice a week and do pretty much the same stuff, except one of the days ill do preacher curls instead of hammer.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
The brachialis is the primary flexor of the elbow. If you want big arms (ignoring the triceps for this discussion) hammer curls are numerous uno. The biceps primarily supinate and are secondary flexors.
I train biceps after back, so it doesn't take much. I've also found that I get better growth with lighter weight (dumbells under 60 lbs) vs heavier.

My bicep training yesterday is typical of what I do.

Standing dumbell curls 3x10x50
superset with
single arm cable curls 3x10x60

Seated incline dumbell curls 3x10x40
Superset with
Dumbell hammer curls 3x10x40

I taped my arms last week, no pump, at just a hair under 20"

Heavy back work and bicep work focused on time under tension and squeeze. And a sh*to load of food

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that bricks, much appreciated.

For my DB's I don't usually go over 45's very much. I can do more but not with taking the time on each rep to squeeze and get the full potential out of each movement. Just feels like I get better work out of them that way.

Bicepticon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Try seated dumbbell curls, 8 sets of 8reps with 25 sec rest....try it with the 25’s. Leave your ego at the door.

Bizzybone

Reaction score
interesting, I always believed heavy back days was more than enough but i definitely noticed growth since i added bicep workouts to my routine.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
I don't see what's wrong with an arm day. Since I switched to powerlifting I haven't had an arm day in years but when I did have arm days I loved it. Everyone likes blasting their arms and getting that pump I don't care what u say. Everyone wants big arms so get in the gym and destroy them just like every other muscle.

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I still feel weird going over and having a few movements on just biceps, but don't disagree with you Ecks.

DevilDoc87

Elite
Reaction score
I don't see what's wrong with an arm day. Since I switched to powerlifting I haven't had an arm day in years but when I did have arm days I loved it. Everyone likes blasting their arms and getting that pump I don't care what u say. Everyone wants big arms so get in the gym and destroy them just like every other muscle.

For sure.. feels great to have biceps feeling like they are gonna blow up..

and agreed it definitely feels belittling to use small weights .. but screw the judges.

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Well I guess I went too heavy or too often.

Either way, I've got a smoldering case of tendinitis in my right arm/elbow from the curls. I was doing 5 sets of 8 on standing BB curl and hammers 3x/week. Stayed out of the gym last week to let it simmer down some but that doesn't seem to have helped. Anyone have a silver bullet on this one?

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
Got the same going on in my right arm HWC. Was hoping the weekend would help calm it down but still pretty painful. I’m going to order the voodoo floss this week and see if it helps.

DevilDoc87

Elite
Reaction score
Well I guess I went too heavy or too often.

Either way, I've got a smoldering case of tendinitis in my right arm/elbow from the curls. I was doing 5 sets of 8 on standing BB curl and hammers 3x/week. Stayed out of the gym last week to let it simmer down some but that doesn't seem to have helped. Anyone have a silver bullet on this one?

i knew you’d ask eventually... :32 (18):

DJ21

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Utilizing Mike Mentzer's HIT program:
Standing barbell curls 1 x 6-8
Concentration curls 2 x 6-8

Also focusing on supination of dumbbell bicep curls to focus on the head of the bicep

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I may be trying to add them back in without the hammer curls next week, it is calming down a bit for me now.

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]A variety of barbell curls are always best to target this area. Try using the barbells themselves and switching out with an actual weight plate.[/FONT]

Reaction score
I like bent over concentration curls. It's like I can feel every fiber in my bicep from top to bottom.

New Threads