Suggestion on rack pulls

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
As i mentioned im putting the finishing touches on my PPL that im going to be starting next week, I would like to put in rack pulls on one of the pull days, the issue is that my gym doesnt really have anything to do them on, they have a couple smith machines but im not sure how well those would work for a rack pull, never tried it.

The squat racks dont adjust low enough to use them, ive already tried. My only though would be to deadlift from boxes, it seems a little lower than what i would think a rack pull should start out at but unless someone has any ideas , thats the only thing im coming up with.

The gym has boxes ive used for deads from boxes before, but the height of them puts the bar around mid shin level, and from what ive seen rack pull should start out around the knees?

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
Never mind LOL did some searching in older threads and i think i found the answer i was looking for, lot of good shit in this forum, i spent a couple hours at work looking back through a lot of the old posts.

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
Never mind LOL did some searching in older threads and i think i found the answer i was looking for, lot of good shit in this forum, i spent a couple hours at work looking back through a lot of the old posts.
There is a lot of good shit on this forum, some of it is absolutely no help at all, but it sure is funny.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
There is a lot of good shit on this forum, some of it is absolutely no help at all, but it sure is funny.

LOL yes that is true, I have come across quite a few posts that were just mind boggeling but there is a lot of good stuff in there too!

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Rack pulls are ****ing stupid don't do them. Pull off boxes instead.

And yes there is a huge difference.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
Rack pulls are ****ing stupid don't do them. Pull off boxes instead.

And yes there is a huge difference.

Yeah POB that’s what I found further in this forum and what i was going to go with was box pulls

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Pillar, im bumping this, because I want to know your reasoning...

Block pulls are harder and actually mimick a deadlift because the weight is on the boxes rather than the bar. Also I hate jack offs who put 8000lbs on a bar to lift it a quarter inch. All they accomplish is the destruction of a barbell and make a bunch of noise.

They have their place I guess. Just not a fan and not for this application. Elivo needs to be doing what is hard right now and working on technique. Not lubing up his ego and masturbating in the gym.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
Block pulls are harder and actually mimick a deadlift because the weight is on the boxes rather than the bar. Also I hate jack offs who put 8000lbs on a bar to lift it a quarter inch. All they accomplish is the destruction of a barbell and make a bunch of noise.

They have their place I guess. Just not a fan and not for this application. Elivo needs to be doing what is hard right now and working on technique. Not lubing up his ego and masturbating in the gym.

SO just to be clear, masturbating in the gym is frowned upon???

I agree, i was looking at rack pulls as something to add in, but after reading some stuff on here that was older, i decided to go with block pulls instead. And i also agree POB, id rather be doing the harder stuff, i have very little ego when it comes to lifting, i get excited when i get a new PR but im not in there ego lifting ever!