Training after a year off

HeiseTX

Reaction score
Hey bros

My question is ive been in the gym consistently since 2009. Between July2017 and May 2018 some depression kept me out of the gym....until about 3 weeks ago ive been slowly hitting it & working body parts 3-5x a week. I'm sore after every workout & my volume is shorter using less weight.

Question is how long should it take for me to build back up to normal before the break of not going and losing gains. Will it be faster etc

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
Hey bros

My question is ive been in the gym consistently since 2009. Between July2017 and May 2018 some depression kept me out of the gym....until about 3 weeks ago ive been slowly hitting it & working body parts 3-5x a week. I'm sore after every workout & my volume is shorter using less weight.

Question is how long should it take for me to build back up to normal before the break of not going and losing gains. Will it be faster etc

I think part of that will depend on what kind of shape you ended up in after the year off? And what kind of shape were you in prior to your break.

Robdjents

Ski bum
Reaction score
Hey bros

That all depends on you...there is no correct answer for this...could be a few months could be longer...when i went through fire fighting academy i was not active in the gym lost alot of gains and it took almost a year to get them back(was training natural at that point)..my advice is to get a good handle on diet and train hard and try to stay positive...it will come back for you if you work hard enough...best of luck man!

andy

Elite
Reaction score
depends on so many factors... where u been physique wise when u stopped, that year ago. where u was before re-starting. ofcourse there is muscle-memory and it should play part. But it all goes down to your genetic, stress in your life (u said u had breakdown/depression) , on your eating habits, your work, your sarroundings. I Can't give you exact time , when are you gonna be in shape.

andy

Elite
Reaction score
I've been natural for 9 years, the progress got slower for me as the time went further. Not bragging here. But what do I want to say.
Enjoy the process, don't wait for something to happen overnight. Just go pay your dues and keep in mind you progress in each workout in each meal you eat right and just don't get over obsessed with "why i'm not as big as I once was or dry or whatever.. " It is coming. stay true to your passions!

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Muscle memory is real.

It will take you less time than someone who wasn't in great shape before.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
All depends on where you were at after you stopped. If you're middle of the road you should be back up or close in 6 months; all things being equal.

Merlin

Reaction score
Keep on grinding! It won't come back fast, so keep the long term goals in mind. Glad to hear you are back in the gym.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Do you think your out of shape now...?? as in a little hefty or really skinny...??

Are you eating for growth..?

HeiseTX

Reaction score
Do you think your out of shape now...?? as in a little hefty or really skinny...??

Are you eating for growth..?

I was when I was in deep depression (skinnier and probably less lean body mass and higher fat %)

The odd thing is I felt my body was returning to normal when it lifted.
I still have my arms and chest and abs. I still look decent surprisingly. Legs and back shrunk the most imo.

Right now I'm insanely sore after squatting 135, leg presses, and leg extension after not using them much in abt a year.
I'm hungry af after days I got heavy and sleep a lot as well.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Muscle memory is real.

This. Not only is it real, it's quick acting. Depends on you

Reactions: Jin

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Muscle memory is real.

Straight up...dealt with this a few times!!!

New Threads