Rep tempo

Reaction score
I’ve always thought that you get more from slow controlled reps, besides calves and abs, are there any muscle groups that you like to do faster reps on?
Asking this because lately I see so many Instagram videos of people doing bicep curl reps at the speed of sound. So it had me wondering if it’s not a bad idea every once in a while. Also I saw a guy break the sound barrier at the gym the other day on triceps but I’ve already decided he was an idiot before that........

Oblivious

Reaction score
I’ve always thought that you get more from slow controlled reps, besides calves and abs, are there any muscle groups that you like to do faster reps on?
Asking this because lately I see so many Instagram videos of people doing bicep curl reps at the speed of sound. So it had me wondering if it’s not a bad idea every once in a while. Also I saw a guy break the sound barrier at the gym the other day on triceps but I’ve already decided he was an idiot before that........
my understanding is slower reps puts more stress on your muscle fibers because its longer stable stress as opposed to sudden high stress, i think fast reps tend to injure people more because you dont give your muscle time to stretch out before enduring stress periods.
Also, ive noticed with faster reps with things like curls you tend to use more than muscle group at a time rather than the intended muscle such as using your back to curl, thats when you see people swinging their whole body to do a barbell curl

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
I mix it up with my squats with faster and slower days. On slower days, I usually go higher on the weight, and I pause in the hole. On a "speed" day, I would use less weight, and do high reps and work on explosiveness and hypertrophy.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
I mix it up with my squats with faster and slower days. On slower days, I usually go higher on the weight, and I pause in the hole. On a "speed" day, I would use less weight, and do high reps and work on explosiveness and hypertrophy.

Dan explained it really well IMO.

My instinct is to always do slow controlled reps to form. The downside is “explosiveness” is a weakness of mine.

I’ve been trying to start my reps with more intensity and quickness on certain days. It’s less about overall speed and more about contraction strength/speed.

Both styles are just tools in the same toolkit.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
I dont keep track of how long my reps are, i tend to always go slower with the negative side of the rep. But i dont use a specific tempo, i go by how it feels most times.

New Threads