So bored with dieting

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm going to go against the grain here....

You are only 15 lbs away from your goal. Have a the discipline to set a goal and not give up until you make it. Giving up on a goal now will make it that much easier to give up on any goals you make in the future.

When you reach 220, you're going to say it sucked getting there, but you'll know for certain that you have the ability to change your body as you see fit.

Dieting is one of life's great mind fuks. Don't let it get to you. It's not supposed to be easy.

I'm not saying give up to be clear. Just a reminder that our progress is never linear. A break from the diet while he is at the point of not even wanting to train? Why not. It isn't supposed to be easy. But it can be easier than some have experienced in the past.

stevenmd

Elite
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it but are you super strict with sticking to your diet? Do you have any "cheat" meals or days? I have found that having the scheduled cheat meal not only helps me psychologically, it also helps me physically. My body seems to burn through that cheat meal and I actually wake up lighter. I think it's the leptin hormone at work???

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I agree that there is nothing wrong with a break (see my cheat week post)

OP said he was switching gears and going back to building strength and getting big. Nothing wrong with that, unless it's his "diet brain" thinking. Every time I cut I have a "fuk this, I want to get big again" moment. I know it's coming and I either need to remind myself, or have someone else remind me, that if I don't have discipline to set a goal and see it through I might as well throw in the towel. I never want to get in the habit of giving up on a goal once it's been made. It's a slippery slope.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
I think someone on here told me when i started this to pick a diet and workout that you will be able to stick to or else you will run into the kind of problem you are having now. Just reevaluate things and go with something different, youll get it down and keep moving on!

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Again, this is a personal thing..we all do different things for different reasons but I personally don’t ever give up on what I said I’m going to do period...to me..for me..that’s a weakness :)

and NO...male or female doesn’t change shit:32 (17):

Reaction score
Maybe I missed it but are you super strict with sticking to your diet? Do you have any "cheat" meals or days? I have found that having the scheduled cheat meal not only helps me psychologically, it also helps me physically. My body seems to burn through that cheat meal and I actually wake up lighter. I think it's the leptin hormone at work???
I’ve incorporated a cheat meal every Sunday.

Maijah

Elite
Reaction score
220 @ 6'4 is very thin... get that tdee calc and work on ur diet brutha, ain't no reason why you can't sit around 250/260 lean and mean with the proper diet/training

Gibby how's your journey going? You swole yet?

Reaction score
I'm going to go against the grain here....

You are only 15 lbs away from your goal. Have a the discipline to set a goal and not give up until you make it. Giving up on a goal now will make it that much easier to give up on any goals you make in the future.

When you reach 220, you're going to say it sucked getting there, but you'll know for certain that you have the ability to change your body as you see fit.

Dieting is one of life's great mind fuks. Don't let it get to you. It's not supposed to be easy.

Fwiw, 220 is a number I pulled out of my ass. At 285 I imagined that it would take dropping 65lbs to get my bf% down to an ok level and look halfway decent for summer. It was never meant to be set in stone.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Fwiw, 220 is a number I pulled out of my ass. At 285 I imagined that it would take dropping 65lbs to get my bf% down to an ok level and look halfway decent for summer. It was never meant to be set in stone.

What you do from here, whether it’s bailing on your diet or continuing on your journey, is up to you. You are close to your initial goal, though, and I am guessing that when you set it you had expectations of what that would mean from either an appearance or health perspective. If I were you, I would continue on that journey to see if those expectations come to fruition. You haven’t hit your diet limit, but as many have said it might be time for trying something other than keto and fasting or giving yourself a pause.

Just make sure it isn’t your “diet brain “ speaking to you. The mind does funny things when you are running below maintenance calories. 220 is still within your grasp. Don’t let it go because of discouragement. If you do, you’ll always wonder what could have been and what you could have looked like.

Reaction score
Again, this is a personal thing..we all do different things for different reasons but I personally don’t ever give up on what I said I’m going to do period...to me..for me..that’s a weakness :)

and NO...male or female doesn’t change shit:32 (17):

What you do from here, whether it’s bailing on your diet or continuing on your journey, is up to you. You are close to your initial goal, though, and I am guessing that when you set it you had expectations of what that would mean from either an appearance or health perspective. If I were you, I would continue on that journey to see if those expectations come to fruition. You haven’t hit your diet limit, but as many have said it might be time for trying something other than keto and fasting or giving yourself a pause.

Just make sure it isn’t your “diet brain “ speaking to you. The mind does funny things when you are running below maintenance calories. 220 is still within your grasp. Don’t let it go because of discouragement. If you do, you’ll always wonder what could have been and what you could have looked like.

Perhaps you’re right. I am relatively happy with where I’m currently sitting in terms of bf%, but I set out to hit 220 and I should see that through. I don’t think I’m going to continue to use keto to get there though. I was thinking about this last night, for the first 60 days everything was fine. About 3 weeks ago i changed the timing of my workouts. I used to go at the end of the day, around 9pm. A few weeks ago I changed that to after work (around 5pm). At 5pm I was still fasting, so my workouts had absolutely no fuel. That being said, my workouts have been garbage since I started cutting but they’ve gotten worse.

Im going to continue the path I set out but I’m going to take the advise said earlier and change the diet. Using the tdee calculator I’m going to go about 3500 calories, I just gotta figure the macros out (feel free to chime in!).

And if if anyone wants to help out with the next goal after that, please do! 250, 15% bf, benching 405. I know for sure I want to cycle again, maybe blast and cruise for a while. I’ll be 41 in a week so I don’t even know if that’s realistic anymore.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Well..awesome to hear...and the part of how you changed your training time is part of it. Sometimes we don’t see those things as we are mind set on what we’ve been doing for so long and might not think certain things will trip our bodies out..until it does!

Im a 125 female so I wish I could help you with a diet lol ...but don’t think you could lift 50 lbs if you ate what I did..someone will help you...good luck!!!!:32 (20):

Reaction score
Keto and fasting can cause these symptoms if used over a long period of time. I would suggest adding back more complex carbohydrates slowly. This should increase your energy level without causing you to gain excessive weight.

Reaction score
Keto and fasting can cause these symptoms if used over a long period of time. I would suggest adding back more complex carbohydrates slowly. This should increase your energy level without causing you to gain excessive weight.
I’ve since abandoned keto and moved on to happier times (carbs lol). The funny thing is as soon as I started eating carbs weight came back up quite a bit. It’s ok though, I’m back to loving my workouts and am much happier.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I’ve since abandoned keto and moved on to happier times (carbs lol). The funny thing is as soon as I started eating carbs weight came back up quite a bit. It’s ok though, I’m back to loving my workouts and am much happier.

You don’t retain water without carbs.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
You don’t retain water without carbs.

I believe it’s a 3:1 ratio of water to carbs.

OP it’s good because the carbs get stored as glycogen in your muscles along with that water. You’ll have energy for lifting, better pumps and your muscles will look fuller.

Once your glycogen stores are full the rest will eventually get stored as fat so top off the tank when depleted but don’t over do I.

Reaction score
You guys wanna help me with something? It’s pretty evident that I’m holding water as I’m definitely feeling bloated. What I’d like to do for now is maintain my current weight (sitting at about 250) for a while until I get a cycle sorted out (source is being an issue right now). Where I’m struggling is with macros. Can you guys give me a suggested protein/fat number as a starting point? I’m shooting for at least 300g protein but I worry that I have my carbs too high right now.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
So what if you’re holding water? You going on stage or something?

Get your 300g of protein then:

(keto) less than 100g of carbs, remainder fats

Or 75-85g fat, remainder carbs.

Really over all all calories is the thing that matters most.

Reaction score
So what if you’re holding water? You going on stage or something?

Get your 300g of protein then:

(keto) less than 100g of carbs, remainder fats

Or 75-85g fat, remainder carbs.

Really over all all calories is the thing that matters most.
Efff no, the water thing was simply an observation.