Leg workout with DBs or body weight

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Curious if you guys have any ideas on this one...

I recently asked my trainer about full body workouts using a limited number of DBs. I find myself traveling a lot and doing half-assed workouts with limited equipment. He’s very old school and does a great job of making 10 pounds seem like 100.

After two:( sessions training this way, I’ve walked away dripping in sweat with a full upper body pump.

My problem is legs. No amount of squats with DBs will even come close to a fraction of a proper squat. Even single leg lounges don’t feel like they’re doing much.

Any thoughts on higher intensity leg movements that don’t require a barbell or machine? Maybe something I haven’t tried like jump-squats or intense sprints?

Do people in prison just LP other heavy guys? Lol

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Pistols are a good BW leg exercise (not sure if thats what you're referring to when you say 'single leg lunges' or not though).

Plyo work (jumps to boxes) is another.

Possibly some resistance bands ye can take with ye when yer on the road?

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
you can do dumbbell squats and goblet squats using time under tension with moderate weight or go with heavy weight depending on what you can handle

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Goblet squat

Walking lunges

Stiff legged deads

Rear leg elevated split squats

Sissy squat

Tape dumbbells to feet and run around lmao

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
Goblet squat

Walking lunges

Stiff legged deads

Sissy squat

You can only do the last one if you recorde it and upload it here though

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Goblet squat

Walking lunges

Stiff legged deads

Sissy squat

Thanks, a lot of these are the things I’m already doing. I just can’t get enough intensity out of goblet squats.

I did get a really good laugh out of the tape idea!

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
Play with the tempos on all the exercises listed above if you don’t have heavy enough dumbbells. Slow negatives, pauses, partials etc..

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Yeah those pistols are the real deal.

If you never fully lock out the burn is going to get intense fast. I don’t have the strength or coordination to attempt that yet. I was only able to do half reps while keeping my balance. Thanks again for the suggestion.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
you can do dumbbell squats and goblet squats using time under tension with moderate weight or go with heavy weight depending on what you can handle

Thanks, a lot of these are the things I’m already doing. I just can’t get enough intensity out of goblet squats.

I did get a really good laugh out of the tape idea!

Take seeks advice. Try using tempo. Say for split squats you take 3 seconds down 3 second pause at the bottom and 3 seconds coming back up stopping short of lockout and hold for 3 seconds. Repeat.

If you can't get a pump out of those exercises there is something wrong with you. Even without tempo.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Take seeks advice. Try using tempo. Say for split squats you take 3 seconds down 3 second pause at the bottom and 3 seconds coming back up stopping short of lockout and hold for 3 seconds. Repeat.

If you can't get a pump out of those exercises there is something wrong with you. Even without tempo.

I’ll give it another shot. Not to beat a dead horse but avoiding lockout might be the key. Thanks for making me think it through again.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Silly video but it has some decent ideas in it.

New Threads