Sport of Powerlifting - Turn Me Into a Fan

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
So I enjoy squatting, some deadlifting, barely any benching (It’s my worst lift) but I’ll never be a powerlifters and compete - not even in some masters ladies division.

That being said, I’ve been listening to the powerlifting episodes of gear’d up and have thoroughly enjoyed the interviews. It’s a sport I’m learning to have a lot of respect for.

As someone who wants to enjoy it as a spectator, where do I start? What are the big meets to pay attention to? Which federations? Which are tested/non-tested. Is it something that is only really good live? Do the broadcast whole meets online? I’m assuming there’s more to get into then just the highlights.

Sell me on being a fan :)

BrotherJ

Elite
Reaction score
What got me into it watching it was finding powerlifters I really like and then following their progress at meets or on social media. I like Ben Pollack, Chad Wesley Smith, Marisa Inda, LS Mclain etc...I just like to follow lifters who I find inspiring or respect and then go from there.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
What got me into it watching it was finding powerlifters I really like and then following their progress at meets or on social media. I like Ben Pollack, Chad Wesley Smith, Marisa Inda, LS Mclain etc...I just like to follow lifters who I find inspiring or respect and then go from there.

It was an interview with Ray Williams and learning a little about the USAPL that really caught my interest.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
So I enjoy squatting, some deadlifting, barely any benching (It’s my worst lift) but I’ll never be a powerlifters and compete - not even in some masters ladies division.

Why not? PL is only a spectator sport to other PL. Is this an injury thing or just too scared?

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Why not? PL is only a spectator sport to other PL. Is this an injury thing or just too scared?

Too scared :)

Honestly I’d have such a long way to go to even be at an entry level. 36 and getting into pretty good shape but that seems like way to late to ever get far enough along in PL to do much beyond personal gym achievements.

German89

Elite
Reaction score

Ben.. i ****ing love ben. Ben is bae. Not is he strong as **** but lean!!!

Then you got dr. Deadlift. Dan greene - pioneer of power. Same with fuking, john meadows. Mark bell, but hes switching to bodybuilding and, he fuking annoys me on i.g.. uhhh.. the strongest of men, the ****ing goat, thor.

Lost goes on
Annyyyway...

I wish i had a good gym around here and could power lift.

And dont forget eddie hall.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
I have never got in to PL, i couldnt name a single one of them honestly. Also the same with BB. I do find it amazing how much some of these ****ers can pick up though.
As for ever doing it, i dont see that happening lol. Not at 42

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
I have never got in to PL, i couldnt name a single one of them honestly. Also the same with BB. I do find it amazing how much some of these ****ers can pick up though.

Roelly, Dexter and Kai for BB :)

German89

Elite
Reaction score
So then.. what do you like? Diet??? Ahahah.. lifting is the best part!!!!

Rather it be a max lift or pounding reps out for volume.

You gotta follow some of these guys. Powerlifting or bodybuilding. Theyre your inspiration.

Like.. if there was one person you could look like? Or be as strong as, who would it be?

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Like.. if there was one person you could look like? Or be as strong as, who would it be?

I know you asked E but you made me think..

ghey answer but there’s a local kid in my gym that has the most solid physique I’ve seen. He’s actually my goal from a B.B. perspective.

For raw strength, easy answer - Thor. Plus he even has abs lol.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
So then.. what do you like? Diet??? Ahahah.. lifting is the best part!!!!

Rather it be a max lift or pounding reps out for volume.

You gotta follow some of these guys. Powerlifting or bodybuilding. Theyre your inspiration.

Actually none of those guys are an inspiration to me, i mean they have all worked their asses off but ive never wanted to look like a pro bb.
My inspiration actually comes from people like Vid, or zig, and all the others who have transformed their body in the way that im attempting to do it. Im all for bigger and stronger but not BB big LOL.
If i had to pick on person to have the body like, id say Hugh Jackman in his first xmen roles.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Too scared :)

Honestly I’d have such a long way to go to even be at an entry level. 36 and getting into pretty good shape but that seems like way to late to ever get far enough along in PL to do much beyond personal gym achievements.

****in gaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy...

I have a video here somewhere where I got drunk and went off about first meets.

Do it. Don't be a bitch. Hell I will prep you for it for free.

BigJohnny

Elite
Reaction score

It’s about time for some more of those videos pillar, you can do them fried now!

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score

Ok, I’ll set that as a goal for 2019 but only if it’s paid coaching and it’s some middle of no where entry level thing lol.

New Threads