Powerlifters diet

Reaction score
What does the diet look like for the modern day powerlifter? What foods, calories/macros, etc for gaining strength?

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Depends. Are you cutting or gaining for a weight class, when do you compete next, what block of training are you in.

Generally speaking though it's a seafood diet like Ron said.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I personally feel it doesn't matter if you're a BBer or PLer. You body needs the same amounts to grow and perform so feed it what it needs. I don't think your macros should change if you're intending on growing.

Now before some PLer gets his panties in a bunch and give me the, "We don't care about growing muscles like a BBer", lets stop and think what moves all the damn weight; muscle. Fat is not going to contract, pull on tendons and move a joint; not happening. And BBers are some strong SOB's. they just don't train the same way and therefore may not have the super bench that a PLer does but make no mistake, they are far from weak.

Play with your fats and carbs if you want to change your body weight and stay within striking range of your weight class. Think like a 181er and less like a 275er. What I'm trying to say here is a gram of protein really doesn't care if it's going to your quads for a massive squat or to your biceps for a set of big guns.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I personally feel it doesn't matter if you're a BBer or PLer. You body needs the same amounts to grow and perform so feed it what it needs. I don't think your macros should change if you're intending on growing.

Now before some PLer gets his panties in a bunch and give me the, "We don't care about growing muscles like a BBer", lets stop and think what moves all the damn weight; muscle. Fat is not going to contract, pull on tendons and move a joint; not happening. And BBers are some strong SOB's. they just don't train the same way and therefore may not have the super bench that a PLer does but make no mistake, they are far from weak.

Play with your fats and carbs if you want to change your body weight and stay within striking range of your weight class. Think like a 181er and less like a 275er. What I'm trying to say here is a gram of protein really doesn't care if it's going to your quads for a massive squat or to your biceps for a set of big guns.

Every PL is a closet bodybuilder.

Reaction score
I don’t buy that they eat everything. Maybe an Eddie Hall or someone like that but I don’t believe Dan Green or Lilliebridge just eats everything. I do believe that bodybuilders are strong, there’s no doubt about it.

But if you were lifting simply for the love of picking as much up and putting it back down, and didn’t want to become a complete fat slob, but continue to get stronger, what would it look like? High carbs for energy? 1g of protein per pound of lean mass, or more? Where do fats play a role? Let me try a different example. I enjoy lifting. A lot. I enjoy lifting heavy. I’m happy with my current weight, but I’d like to continue getting stronger. I don’t really want to put on much more fat though, I’m ok with where I’m at currently bf% wise. So that being said, what should I be eating?

andy

Elite
Reaction score
a dude from which im buying AAS , (he is also sponsored) he told me his secret... he eats everything he wants. 3m.out or 2w.out he can have beer or a cake!! while im eating leafs and tuna for straight 4month when I prep. wtf.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I don’t buy that they eat everything. Maybe an Eddie Hall or someone like that but I don’t believe Dan Green or Lilliebridge just eats everything. I do believe that bodybuilders are strong, there’s no doubt about it.

But if you were lifting simply for the love of picking as much up and putting it back down, and didn’t want to become a complete fat slob, but continue to get stronger, what would it look like? High carbs for energy? 1g of protein per pound of lean mass, or more? Where do fats play a role? Let me try a different example. I enjoy lifting. A lot. I enjoy lifting heavy. I’m happy with my current weight, but I’d like to continue getting stronger. I don’t really want to put on much more fat though, I’m ok with where I’m at currently bf% wise. So that being said, what should I be eating?

I don't know what you mean by "they"

You asked and "they" answered. Don't call us liars lol

Dbolitarian

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Sounds stereotypical
Cough cough
Haha

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Really the answer to this question is not about what they eat but about how much do they eat. If you don't want to gain weight then limit your intake to what you need to maintain. That's it.

You also shouldn't base what you should do on what Dan green does. You aren't him and just because it works for him doesn't mean it will work for you. I mean the guy is basically a centaur. Genetically he is a freak show.

Typically higher carb diets work best because what you do is highly anaerobic. Thanks gonna be your primary energy source. But you gotta just play around with different methods to find what's gonna be best for you.

Reaction score
Really the answer to this question is not about what they eat but about how much do they eat. If you don't want to gain weight then limit your intake to what you need to maintain. That's it.

You also shouldn't base what you should do on what Dan green does. You aren't him and just because it works for him doesn't mean it will work for you. I mean the guy is basically a centaur. Genetically he is a freak show.

Typically higher carb diets work best because what you do is highly anaerobic. Thanks gonna be your primary energy source. But you gotta just play around with different methods to find what's gonna be best for you.
I only mentioned Dan because he’s insanely strong and in phenomenal shape. I’d have a hard time believing he just eats anything. I’d love to see what a typical day of eating is like for him. But yeah, I wasn’t comparing myself to him, I’m way taller lol.

Reaction score
a dude from which im buying AAS , (he is also sponsored) he told me his secret... he eats everything he wants. 3m.out or 2w.out he can have beer or a cake!! while im eating leafs and tuna for straight 4month when I prep. wtf.
So let me ask this-how does he look?

German89

Elite
Reaction score
I only mentioned Dan because he’s insanely strong and in phenomenal shape. I’d have a hard time believing he just eats anything. I’d love to see what a typical day of eating is like for him. But yeah, I wasn’t comparing myself to him, I’m way taller lol.
Dont foeget about ben pollack. I dont know if youd count jijumufu as a powerlifter? Hes pretty ****ing aesthetic. Mark bell changed his diet.. and switched to bodybuikding. Dr. Deadlift... list goes on

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score

I've read many interviews, and q&a's, and he says basically the same thing evwrytime. High protein, and high carbs. He cuts down on fats and carbs to make weight close to his meets.

It would be nice to see what he eats day to day. He's mentioned burritos, and I believe I saw his name associated with the vertical diet.

German89

Elite
Reaction score
Maybe do some mountain dog dieting?

There is another pioneer of powerlifting. If i didnt mention him already. John meadows.

New Threads