Work out change up?

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
How often do you change up your routine and switch out lifts? Or is it a go till it’s not as effective type thing?
Was thinking of switching some stuff out in a week or 2. Leaving the main compound lifts in of course but changing out some of the accessory work.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Are you doing any particular program right now? I’m either getting one of the Meadows programs (IE creeping death, gamma bomb,etc) or starting Layne Norton’s PHAT, honestly leaning towards the PHAT for my next 12 weeks. Last 8 I just mimicked Lee Haney’s split.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I typically did 3 week waves and swapped things out for each wave. That training was for maximal strength development but did include reps in hypertrophy ranges. The idea behind the supplemental work was that it typically would involve less weight than it's associated comp lift but had carryover regardless. This reduced injury and wear and tear potential.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
Are you doing any particular program right now? I’m either getting one of the Meadows programs (IE creeping death, gamma bomb,etc) or starting Layne Norton’s PHAT, honestly leaning towards the PHAT for my next 12 weeks. Last 8 I just mimicked Lee Haney’s split.

No specific program, doing a push pull legs upper lower and weekend rest routine. Incorporated the RPE style of weight/reps with just about every lift. Has been going really well.
Just looking at switching stuff up a bit.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
I typically did 3 week waves and swapped things out for each wave. That training was for maximal strength development but did include reps in hypertrophy ranges. The idea behind the supplemental work was that it typically would involve less weight than it's associated comp lift but had carryover regardless. This reduced injury and wear and tear potential.

Nice POB, may be time for a change up for me then, got some things that have been creeking a bit LOL.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
Would switching to db pressing for a couple weeks help out with elbow pains since you can adjust your position more or not matter much?

although that doesn’t take away the stress from all the other stuff that puts stress on it so may not be that big a factor.

Just thinking out loud

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
If you have't, read up on westside (conjugate method). Like pob mentioned about swapping in 3 weeks, westside changes in phases per certain lift in 3 weeks also.

I only bring it up to give you an idea of what to swap out with what, and how to.

You can do longer. Some cases being 4-6 weeks per main lift, before changing the version. Just depends on how you're progressing and so forth

Last edited:

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
DC has a built in rotation of three excersizes for each body part. Also if you stop progresssing on one you have to drop it and replace it in your rotation with a new one 5at you’ll progress with.

Last edited:

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Would switching to db pressing for a couple weeks help out with elbow pains since you can adjust your position more or not matter much?

although that doesn’t take away the stress from all the other stuff that puts stress on it so may not be that big a factor.

Just thinking out loud

Depends on what's causing the elbow pain.

German89

Elite
Reaction score
I switch it up every workout. But what stays is, squats, bench, deads and pull ups.

Chest yesterday, i did cable flies. Next week will be db.

Back. I did meadow rows, next week maybe ill do, db rows.

Legs. Last week i did step ups. Maybe this week, ill do lunges.

See where im heading here?

And i go to a small gym so, i cant have a routine because, sometimes its too crowded and, i gotta make do.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
Depends on what's causing the elbow pain.

Hell if I know, I can’t seem to remember when it started hurting.

German i get what you’re saying but I can’t workout like that lol. I like to know what I’m doing before I get there. I have my workout already loaded into my app and ready to go.

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
Hell if I know, I can’t seem to remember when it started hurting.

German i get what you’re saying but I can’t workout like that lol. I like to know what I’m doing before I get there. I have my workout already loaded into my app and ready to go.

Do you have elbow sleeves? Are there certain exercises where they hurt more?

Do you load your own workout before every workout?

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
Do you have elbow sleeves? Are there certain exercises where they hurt more?

Do you load your own workout before every workout?

no i don’t have sleeves. And the workout is loaded into the app. It saves it and updates it after every workout so I can compare last week to this week and crap.

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
no i don’t have sleeves. And the workout is loaded into the app. It saves it and updates it after every workout so I can compare last week to this week and crap.

Are you progressing each week?

Reaction score
How often do you change up your routine and switch out lifts? Or is it a go till it’s not as effective type thing?
Was thinking of switching some stuff out in a week or 2. Leaving the main compound lifts in of course but changing out some of the accessory work.

Thoughts?
[FONT=&quot]This depends on the individual’s goals but changing accessory work every few weeks is beneficial as it will help to fight boredom and challenge you along the way. Once you feel you have reached a plateau, you should definitely change things up.[/FONT]

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
Running an upper/lower 4 day split for the next few weeks. Not going as heavy as before to give some painful areas a break but really upping the reps and cutting rest time between sets to almost nothing.

oh and a day just focused on ab work as well...

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Running an upper/lower 4 day split for the next few weeks. Not going as heavy as before to give some painful areas a break but really upping the reps and cutting rest time between sets to almost nothing.

oh and a day just focused on ab work as well...

Just through a few ab movements in between your other sets. Take your ab day and make it a meal prep day.

New Threads