Are Tricep extensions / pull downs a good exercise

Reaction score
The reason I ask is because it seems to be the exercise I can do the best. I can easily stack the machine and add extra weights and still do perfect form. But my tris are ok but nothing special. I got kicked out of one gym for adding to much weight - they said I was damaging the machine :(

Attachments

• triceps1-654x485.jpg
    triceps1-654x485.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 4438.jpg
    4438.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 12

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
Same, i go with skull crushers, dips first. pull downs ill use for a superset or drop set and always last.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
those are pushdowns. you're pushing, not pulling. sheesh , but yes, I like them. I'll do reps of with them

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I like to use the rope in different ways for push downs as well as the V-bar.

Single-handed overhead pushes are great for me. I can add 90lbs on top of the stack with the V-bar but at that weight it's starting to pick me up off the ground.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Not saying this is you, but most people I see in the gym do these wrong. They start with what looks like a pullover, add a little tricep activation, and end with doing something that resembles a decline press. To answer your question, though, yes, when done correctly they are a good exercise.

However, it doesn't matter what exercises you do. What matters is how you do the exercise.

Reaction score
Thanks all, Yea I do the standing skull crushers to. Once again with perfect form with peakhold and contractions. I mean if its not done right - why bother. I can bicept curl the stack too, but just sets of 6. Im weak lol

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If its too the point that your adding weight to machine with perfect form as u say why don't now slow the rep on the negative holding for a couple of seconds
. Which in return will lower ur rep count big time, focus on the tension .. yes its cool moving weight but is ur tricep actually getting most of the work or are u using more of ur shoulders to push the weight down. Pick a weight that is challenging but at the same time ur able to control and feel the muscle work.

Reaction score
Yes I do all that and so much more. I do all exercises in the best way to isolate the muscle group Im working with the equipment i have axcess to.. That translates to - I do them the hard way. Thats what I mean when I say PERFECT FORM. I do the negatives on all exercises not just tris. I suppose I need to put some pics up - I think im close to looking like Seekers avatar almost, maybe, on a good day, If i squint. - but then again I have muscle dismorphia. I feel like a 12 y/o skinny kid.

If its too the point that your adding weight to machine with perfect form as u say why don't now slow the rep on the negative holding for a couple of seconds
. Which in return will lower ur rep count big time, focus on the tension .. yes its cool moving weight but is ur tricep actually getting most of the work or are u using more of ur shoulders to push the weight down. Pick a weight that is challenging but at the same time ur able to control and feel the muscle work.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The reason I ask is because it seems to be the exercise I can do the best. I can easily stack the machine and add extra weights and still do perfect form. But my tris are ok but nothing special. I got kicked out of one gym for adding to much weight - they said I was damaging the machine :(

I don't know ya so sorry to assume but from most of what I have witnessed you may be doing them wrong. For conversations sake let's say your triceps are my Olympia status.

Stop doing them and do something else. This isn't an exercise where you would normally plateau because it's isolation. It should be a supplement to heavy pressing. How is your bench doing? How is triceps growth overall? Have you tried doing pushdowns with bands? Is it possible you are worrying about minute things that don't mean much? Question your own perception.

Not saying this is you, but most people I see in the gym do these wrong. They start with what looks like a pullover, add a little tricep activation, and end with doing something that resembles a decline press. To answer your question, though, yes, when done correctly they are a good exercise.

However, it doesn't matter what exercises you do. What matters is how you do the exercise.

**** these people. I wanna hang em by the neck from the lat pulldown

Reaction score
Thanks Pillar _ lol no Olympia status here. But I agree - I see so many others doing exercises (Wrong _ the easy way, Swinging their body and bouncing the bar - ect. ) I supose the reason I like doing it is the attention. Ill be standing there gasping for breath, sweat dripping off from several spots at the same time - just kinda beastly, hearing old ladies crying and young girls smiling, Dudes deciding to be somewhere else... But I feel I always need to add more weight to stimilate more growth. To FEEL it. My bench is average i guess - I move 315 around pretty easy on flat and can litterally throw (explode) 225 on incline in all the positions - thats with negatives, concentrations. But I feel small ,puny, pathetic. embarrassed. I want 405 515. MORE. I dont know - maybe I should try crossfit or something, lol.

Maijah

Elite
Reaction score
I love this movement, heavy weight and high reps with right form really works good for me. I also do them with a reverse grip. I also like close grip bench, dips, skull crushers behind the head presses with a dumbells and kickbacks (screw you pillar)

Reaction score
Sounds like you need to find a new gym haha. Just a wild guess, but are you at planet fitness? (saw the purple machine)

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
Thanks Pillar _ lol no Olympia status here. But I agree - I see so many others doing exercises (Wrong _ the easy way, Swinging their body and bouncing the bar - ect. ) I supose the reason I like doing it is the attention. Ill be standing there gasping for breath, sweat dripping off from several spots at the same time - just kinda beastly, hearing old ladies crying and young girls smiling, Dudes deciding to be somewhere else... But I feel I always need to add more weight to stimilate more growth. To FEEL it. My bench is average i guess - I move 315 around pretty easy on flat and can litterally throw (explode) 225 on incline in all the positions - thats with negatives, concentrations. But I feel small ,puny, pathetic. embarrassed. I want 405 515. MORE. I dont know - maybe I should try crossfit or something, lol.

LMFAO!!!! :32 (18): :32 (18): :32 (18):
ur a trip dude...

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
If you're doing the stack and adding weight with "perfect" form on tricep push downs then my first question is how many pulleys and what configuration is that system. I guarantee you're not gonna be doing that on a straight single pulley dead weight cable/strap system. Multiple pulleys change the actual weight/resistance felt.

German89

Elite
Reaction score
I havent seen this avi in a lonnngggg timmeee!!!

I like doing push downs over and under grip.. i also like bending over a little, and doing it like a skull crusher and, really flexing at the end of the movement.

New Threads