Centering the bar

Reaction score
I always feel like it's tough for me to center the bar on my back when doing squats. New gym I joined doesn't have mirrors.
Also when I do low bar squats it seems that the bar is always a but forward on one side and one trap is under bar and the other is above it( if that make Sense). Any tips or help would be appreciated.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Improve your shoulder mobility firstly. When you can't tell if the bar is centered that usually means you have a tight shoulder.

Don't ever look in a mirror when squatting btw.

To help center bring in a measuring tape and wrap a small piece of colored tape around the center of the bar. A good squat bar already has a center ring btw... With the bar marked just ask someone behind you to check it out.

This is one of a million reasons why having a great training partner is king.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Obviously POB is the person to listen to here but I’ll just mention what helps me.

I line my ring ring finger up on the rings before I get under the bar. Subconsciously it helps my brain center things since it’ll instinctively know if one arm is out of alignment with the other. (Possibly excluding the tightness POB mentioned.) From there I let my hands drift to where it feels natural.

As far as the trap positioning, I’ve just formed a natural groove where the bar just “fits”. I haven’t played much with positioning beyond that since it works for me. Good luck!

andy

Elite
Reaction score
does the bar has centre ring ? it should.

Reaction score
What would you suggest for shoulder mobility excercises. The gym has nice bars and they all have center lines. Maybe it's just in my head more or less I'll ask someone to double check if it's centered next time.
Also, do you not recommend looking in the mirror while squatting because it creates bad head position?

Reaction score
I also try to use my fingers and the rings to line up both shoulders the best I can. Maybe I'm just to used to high or because I can go a little lower than my high bar( medium bar for lack of better word) but when I go much lower always feels off. Hell could even be my hand positioning too I guess.

Robdjents

Ski bum
Reaction score
i mean if you get under it and its not center just move to the center....call me crazy but this is being WAY overthought

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
When you first learn to drive, staying within the lines might have been hard. Now you'd never think that an issue. It'll be second nature shortly.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
hahahahahahahaha....I can't imagine not having a mirror..gyms have always had them!

Reaction score
Try to do squats with a bit lower weight to remember the right technique physically. This is bad that your new gym doesn't have mirrors so you may have the same problems with other exercises