Thanks

anyone had surgery on their shoulder?

Last night I was on the incline bench when I heard something like a cracking noise in my shoulder and It was immediate pain. I went to the doc today and he wants to do an mri, he says he thinks its a torn ligament. If so he says I'm looking at about 3 - 6 month recovery time. I told him I don't speak that language. I went ahead and got a cortizone shot and going to take it easy and see how it goes. Have any of yall had this surgery and if so what was the recovery time like and are you back 100%? I feel like someone has just pulled the whole world out from under me. Training is my life. thanks guys

Thanks
    Thanked 3,297 Times in 1,778 Posts

Re: anyone had surgery on their shoulder?

Best to have the MRI & see what the injury is. Hopefully nothing fully torn & can heal w/o surgery. Best of luck Bro

Thanks

If it's the rotator the recovery isn't so bad. They start moving it right away and you go straight into physical therapy. If it's the Librium you can't move it for 6 weeks. It locks up over that time so your looking at a few months of physical therapy.

I've never had surgery but I've learned a lot from all my dads injuries.

Thanks

I appreciate yalls input. I hope this is nothing series.

Lady Member
    Thanks

I hope it's not torn. I had a hairline fracture in my right shoulder bone from a fall while ice skating. It hurt like hell. I couldn't move my arm at all. I had to keep it in a bent position and very close to my body for weeks. I went to the doctor but the x-ray didn't detect anything. (You should have seen me driving my 5 speed at that time.) It was still so painful after 3 weeks they finally scheduled me for an MRI thinking I might have torn my rotator cuff. That's when they found the hairline fracture. It was healing already and there was nothing they could do for it anyhow. After 6 weeks I started physical therapy. It was really helpful and a MUST do. I still felt a dull pain 1 year later (only with some certain movements, like backing up in the car. That turning motion hurt. Or some shoulder exercises hurt at the gym.) I went back to the doctor and got a shot of cortisone and the pain never returned. I truly believe the physical therapy was the key to getting it back to normal.

That's the only perspective I can give you. Nothing was torn, and I hope yours isn't either.

Thanks

Ive had a Bankhart Lesion (labral tear from eight dislocations) and had to get orthoscopic surgery at the end of Sept last year. I could not even wash my hair with that arm for prob almost 3 weeks post op. I was in Phy Therapy for 6 months, I was cleared to lift light at about 3 months. Slowly moving to heavier weight. But I literally could not bench just the BB in Jan from the pain in the and limited range of motion. Now sticking with 225 on bench slowley increasing. They re-attached mine so tight that I lost a good deal of range of motion, and was told I "could" be in pain the rest of my life from it. So, im 7 months post op and still cannot go heavy on chest and certain shoulder excercises.

Depending on the injury phy therapy will/will not help recovery. Take it easy on the shoulder as of now and wait to get the MRI and results.
    "There are only two days in the year nothing can be done. One is called yesterday and the other is called tomorrow"

Thanks

My ligaments in my left shoulder stretched so much that my shoulder would just pop out altogether. My surgeon did orthoscopic surgery and electrocuted (that is not the technical term) the ligaments. I was in an immoiblizer for 8 weeks and then months of physical therapy. This happened in college. I had a full ride to college for swimming (the 100y butterfly was my best run). The shoulder issues ultimately ended my swimming career.

Now, my shoulder rarely bothers me. I don't swim anymore, mostly because my climate doesn't allow for outdoor pools and there are no indoor lap pools near me. I do lift heavy and hard and my shoulder hasn't given me issues or held me back from that.

Good luck and be careful about the cortizone shots. They can make you feel better and you end up hurting yourself worse cause they mask the pain.
    Burn the fat! >:)

Thanks

A had a small tear on the rotator cuff and about a month af physical therapy, and light weight/ strecth bands excercise i was back up
    US Goverment Policy: If It Ain't Broken, Fix It Till It Is.

Thanks

I have a torn supra in my shoulder. Have been dealing with this about 9-10 months. Lay of shoulders COMPLETELY and stay off barbells for any kind of bench. Go with lighter db's for now. Give it time to heal. Mine still bothers me here and there. I have constant crunching when I lift but the pain isn't as bad. Being young and active if it's torn cortisone shots won't do anything but take away the irritation. Just take it easy, ice it IMMEDIETELY after the gym even if you don't do shoulders. Mine was so bad I couldn't even do lat pull downs. Do the MRI and see what's up. I'm gonna have to have mine cut on but I'm waiting til after the summer. Good luck and take it easy for awhile.