DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I was at my office working. We had just been to NYC the weekend before walking around the Trade towers and seeing the sites ect... If you've never been it's hard to imagine how big those buildings were. It's also hard to believe that even a big plane could take them down. We made a trip to the site after all was cleaned up. There were just huge pits where these once enormous buildings stood. It was heart breaking seeing the make shift memorial with pics, flowers ect.... for those killed & missing. We stayed in the Battery Park area that had a view of WTC. Just a horrible feeling.

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I bought out one of my competitors and 9.11 was the day we told the staff and I took over.

Im on the turnpike for a 2 hr drive. I’m really nervous lots of $ on the line and seriously dreading the day wondering how many will quit who am I going to fire, I was a ball of nerves. That’s until I heard what happened and realized my problems were not that bad.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
At the Naval Medical Center San Diego. Just walked into the dept. conference room to see the second tower get hit.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I was home asleep. Got a call from a buddy to turn on the TV. I was in shock. My brother was working in the Garment District and my niece going to school at NYU. I finally spoke to my brother that evening and was overwhelmed with relief that he was OK. Of course i was still overtook with sadness. For a while I worked right underneath the towers repairing the subway tracks.

The damn phone lines are what made this so bad for my family. I have two uncles and a cousin who were working at WTC. They had all taken the day off that day thank God. But we didn't know until like 6 or 7 that night because the lines were jammed up.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ive always hated this day since 01.

gives a shitty feeling of loss for a large mass of people. I was in high school at the time & the whole place went into lock down.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
Working at a power plant installing an ash liner. We were locked down on site and not allowed to leave for hours.

KINGIV

Elite
Reaction score
My parents took me to the beach that September and it was the first time I ever seen a Harrier jet in flight. The pilot for some odd reason flew so close to the hotel, just hovering in front of it, that I could see him perfectly in the cockpit from our beach front balcony and we waved at each other.

That was really strange but cool at the same time. I don't understand how he got away with being that close to the hotel LOLI thought that would have been the memory of a lifetime, little did I know it was about to be taken over by another.

We went home that night to beat the traffic and I was woken up on the living room couch by the news. I thought it was just a horrible accident, especially considering what I had just seen at the beach, until the second plane came. My mother seemed the most hurt by it, she cried for days.

My oldest brother was in the military and had just died that year in June. For my family it felt like our whole world was falling apart when those Towers fell and we wanted Revenge.R.I.P. to all who lost their lives that day.

Patriot1405

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I was working nearby for a local utility company. Wound up being called back as a first responder to head down to ground zero. My company was on the outskirts at first, by the piers. Then moved onto the mound. I still breakdown every year on this day watching all of the news coverage. For some reason I’m able to smell and taste the ash particulates that were like a snow blizzard that day. I know it’s in my head, but I can definitely smell it, when these images are shown over and over again on this day, it triggers that smell for me. I was there for about 8 weeks. Trying to shut down ruptured gas pipes. I saw a lot of upsetting things, but I also saw those million moments both shattering and unifying every race, creed, color, and background working together as one!
May everyone today reflect on how precious life really is and what matters most ❤️

Last edited:

RISE

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I was in between classes talking to my friends when i looked up at the tv in the class and saw what was going on. I remember going home and watching the people jumping out of the building, trying to fathom what could be going through their head before making that decision. Either burn or fall...insane.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I was in between classes talking to my friends when i looked up at the tv in the class and saw what was going on. I remember going home and watching the people jumping out of the building, trying to fathom what could be going through their head before making that decision. Either burn or fall...insane.

As much as it pains me to say it, but if I was surrounded by a 1500 degree fire, I'd probably jump before being melted alive too.

Rhino99

Elite
Reaction score
Was working in a clients home when he called me over and said 'hey, look at this a plane hit the twin towers'.
As im watching trying to figure out wtf is happening the 2nd one hit.
My cousin made it out and was one that walked over the bridge. I knew 2 others that were friends of friends that didn't make it out that day.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks to all that viewed my post and a special thanks to those who shared.

I deliberately did not add words to my original post because it spoke my heart. Now that 09.11.18 is coming to an end, I ask one question; do you remember how we came together not only as Americans but as decent human beings? I painfully recall the bad things of that day but just as vivid was the kindness we showed each other. I remember how on 9.10 people would have rolled through a stop sign to get through first, then 24 hr later were stopping to wave another on.

RISE

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
As much as it pains me to say it, but if I was surrounded by a 1500 degree fire, I'd probably jump before being melted alive too.

I'm guessing there was no thought process involved, just pure instinct to get out of the flames and unfortunately the only way was out the window.

RISE

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I was working nearby for a local utility company. Wound up being called back as a first responder to head down to ground zero. My company was on the outskirts at first, by the piers. Then moved onto the mound. I still breakdown every year on this day watching all of the news coverage. For some reason I’m able to smell and taste the ash particulates that were like a snow blizzard that day. I know it’s in my head, but I can definitely smell it, when these images are shown over and over again on this day, it triggers that smell for me. I was there for about 8 weeks. Trying to shut down ruptured gas pipes. I saw a lot of upsetting things, but I also saw those million moments both shattering and unifying every race, creed, color, and background working together as one!
May everyone today reflect on how precious life really is and what matters most ❤️

Glad to hear your health is ok. Many who worked that cite or were anywhere near when it went down are no longer around.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm not too sure but I'm gonna guess those people jumping that high went unconscious before they hit ground.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
If you havent watched the entire series "Rescue Me", watch it

Yaya

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I was working at the airport that day. That day was beautiful I remember starting at 5am and then shit got crazy and the whole world changed. The airport was nuts and I lived next to the airport at the time. All I would usually hear is engines 24/7. Hearing nothing and just seeing the fighter jets occasionally in the sky was something

bvs

Elite
Reaction score
My dad came home at 5am from nightshift and woke me up to watch the news. I vividly remember being half asleep, a bit confused and asking "what movie was this?". He had been following events unfold and knew this was a once in a life time event

New Threads