The Ketogenic Sponge

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Well, I've decided to go Keto. I am doing this for two reasons.

1) To piss off POB

2) I've never done a strict Keto diet before and there seems to be some interest in it on the board suddenly so why not test it out?

I will be consuming 5% carb, 25% protein, and 70% fat.

I'll be keeping track of my mood, mental acuity, irritability, and energy level along with weight, etc.

Training stays the same.

I'm ok with losing some LBM because I've got an endurance event in March 2019 (To piss off POB) I'm training for where excessive weight in any form will reduce performance. I am still young by most accounts but need to start looking at overall health and longevity now that I've got two kiddos in the mix.

Rhino99

Elite
Reaction score
Im in for the log.
Good luck brother.

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
U going to test if your actually in ketosis? Most on keto never make it 2 ketosis.....

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
I noticed better healing when I ate a bit more fat. Curious if you get a chance to test that.

I was pretty depleted and doing weekly carb ups but I didn’t notice a difference with wound healing until I took your advice and at a little higher (lots of steak). I’m pretty sure the calories weren’t out of line with my higher carb days but something changed.

Haven’t done any research around it but if you notice anything when making the switch, let me know!

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
U going to test if your actually in ketosis? Most on keto never make it 2 ketosis.....

I've got the pee strips if that's what you mean. I may go out and get a glucometer as well.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
First day down.

Thirstier than normal, but that could just be a coincidence.

feeling pretty full right now, but I just had a 700 calorie smoothie so we will see if it sticks.

65% fat

9% carb

26% protein

All but 17g of carbs were fiber which does not count towards the totals so my carb percentage is actually much lower than 9%.

I have a bit of a headache tonight, but that could once again just be coincidental.

Overall I feel normal other than I have chia seeds stuck in my teeth.

my foods today were:

Cheddar cheese
Parmesan cheese
Mozzarella Cheese
Olive Oil
Eggs
Boneless skinless chicken thighs
Beef snack sticks
Spinach
Mushrooms
Garlic
Chia seeds
100% natural zero added sugar peanut butter
MyProtein Whey Isolate
Almond milk
Sugar free metamucil
Heavy cream

I can't believe the stuff I ate today. I normally dont eat cheese at all, and definitely not beef snack sticks.

I'm just kind of throwing caution to the wind and trusting the science behind it and the methods. Worst thing that happens is I go back to what I've always done.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
In for the ride, Spongy. Good luck in March.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Now I want an Italian sausage... I think the hard part would be the lower food volume. Fat adds up so fast.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I've got the pee strips if that's what you mean. I may go out and get a glucometer as well.

You’ll eventually stop registering on the piss strips. The glucometer is the gold standard, but there are also some breath analyzers that , although not as accurate as the glucometer, will continue to give you an indication of how deep in ketosis you are.

Also, side note, I don’t think the headache is coincidental. I had one for the first week and a half.

Reactions: Jin

Rhino99

Elite
Reaction score
I think you guys are confusing glucometer with ketone meter.

Also, When I went low carb I had occasional headaches too.

Blusoul24

Elite
Reaction score
Definitely interested in your experiences here.

Beedeezy

Elite
Reaction score
I've been keto/carnivore for months. Did it for health reasons only and reaping the other benefits as a plus. BEST dietary decision I've ever made, feel better in every way. Couldn't imagine switching back, I've ****ed up and ate a whole extra large pizza because I didn't feel like cooking. That's a real good way to remind myself why I went carnivore in the first place. Felt terrible, along with GI upset for days...

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
God bless ya Spongy if you can do this. You're a better man than me.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
The title of this thread makes me want to own a smoking jacket. I’ll be in the parlor waiting to read today’s edition.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Well, day two complete.

I'll tell ya what, I was absolutely exhausted last night for no reason and fell asleep in my living room at 845. That is really strange for me. I moved to the bedroom and slept hard until about 630 this morning.

Felt very very tired this morning.

No headaches today at all

I've been drinking a ton of water today

Energy picked up in the afternoon but quite tired omce again this evening

Everyone I have talked to about keto has said the same thing about never being hungry and kind of needing to remind yourself to eat. I don't know what the hell they are talking. I've been ravenous today.

Weight was actually up 1.2 lbs today from yesterday but that is pretty in line with my day to day fluctuations

I ended up eating at maintenance today

Foods included the following:

Ground pork sausage
Eggs
Cheddar Cheese
Parmesan Cheese
Beef jerky
Beef sticks
Beef hot dogs (wtf, haven't had these in a long time)
Mustard
Boneless skinless chicken thighs
Spinach
Red wine vinaigrette
Sunflower seeds
Almond Milk
Organic no sugar added peanut butter
MyProtein whey isolate
Chia seeds
Metamucil

66% fat
26% protein
8% carb

21 net carbs and the rest fiber, so again my net carb % is much lower than 8%.

The family and I met the in-laws out at the woods property to finish rebuilding the roof over the cabin porch and have a cookout with s'mores and such for the kiddos. My wife is a twin so her sister and husband came with their two kids that are almost exactly the same age as ours. Good times were had by all and we got the roof finished up with minimal injuries.

Mother in law typically does hot dogs and such for everyone and I usually bring a chicken breast or sirloin, etc, to slap on the grill. You should've seen the looks on everyone's face when I start chowing down on a couple hotdogs. My wife just stares and them and says very dryly (drily if you're English) and sarcastically "don't ask, he's got some idea in his head about going keto. How wonderful for us all." Glad the wife is on board.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Just so it's not like I am just busting your balls the whole time here is a winner

Bacon wrapped hot dogs fried in ghee (coconut oil and butter if you don't have ghee or are racist).

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Beginning of day three

Slept like ass

Weight is up another .8 lbs. I think weight gain likely due to large amount of salt I have taken in this weekend. I can't really think of any other reason but definitely keeping an eye on it.

Put butter in my coffee this morning, that was weird.

I'm not really having any carb cravings yet so that's a positive.

Anyways, happy Monday.

New Threads