Hormone Panel for Females

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Can't say for sure if this is new or I've just never seen this before, but privatemdlabs has the following in their description for the Hormone Panel for females, which I know many of us use.

"Use of synthetic steroids, various supplements and/or high doses of biotin may interfere with the accuracy of the standard immunoassay Testosterone Total serum test included in this panel. If you are taking any of these it is recommended that you order a panel that includes the Testosterone LC/MS-MS methodology for testing. "

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Bit obvious, ye? Exogenous hormones will prolly 'interfere' with yer total T?

That said, the 'Female' panel is fine for most circumstances & a much better price point than the more costly Male panels.

DevilDoc87

Elite
Reaction score
I think it just shows beyond what the normal threshold is.. correct me if I’m wrong though

Rumpy

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I think the standard TT test tops out at 1500, above that you need the sensitive test, which will show actual TT rather than just >1500. Private MD has added a few new tests on their site so it's a lot cheaper and easier to get exactly what you want.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I read it as being their disclosure that steroids, such as nandrolone, can cause a false reading with the method they use for the Hormone Panel for Females (see Ripzilla's post below). I didn't recall them calling that out in the description.

A post I made elsewhere:

When getting bloodwork done most members tend to go with the ECLIA method used by Lapcorp, which causes false elevations in both test & e2 levels due to Nandrolone metabolites.
Pages 5&7 from this paper produced by the FDA talks about the ECLIA method and the interference caused by nandrolone metabolites and the issue is summarized best here:
https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/reviews/k093421.pdf
"Nandrolone was tested and was considered as interference substance; therefore, the sponsor (Roche) has the following limitations in the labeling...Do not use samples from patients under Nandrolone treatment..."

In order to avoid any false positives you would need to get BW from a lab that uses Quest Diagnostics and NOT Labcorp as their main processing service.
In fact, the terms & conditions of the Lapcorp tests specifically state that their tests wouldn't provide accurate readings for 19-Nors.

However, though the LS/MSMS method that works for Nandrolone metabolites also works for Tren (the medical community is pushing to use this method for all steroid hormone testing), for those who do go through Quest - they tend to use the standard RIA for Test & Estradiol and this still gives falsely elevated readings.
You will also need to specifically request the extraction RIA method instead to avoid this issue with them and other providers.

Finally, just for the sake of being complete, here is another paper further illustrating ECLIA being incompatible for AAS users:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4112981/
- Dbol/EQ & Provi (only for cortisol) get a brief mention
- Aromasin slightly interferes with progesterone readings (by approx. 0.5 ng/mL).
- No interference from Var, Winny & Tbol
- Norethindrone (progestogen found in BC, important for women) also causes interference

Last edited:

Iowabull

Reaction score
When ordering the female panel from PrivateMD Labs are you guys getting the one titled "Hormone Pannel for Females" that is $69.99 ?

Last edited:

DevilDoc87

Elite
Reaction score
Most ppl use the one that gives test/estradiol/lh/fsh the others if I’m not mistaken just show what your test numbers would be if >1500

Iowabull

Reaction score
Most ppl use the one that gives test/estradiol/lh/fsh the others if I’m not mistaken just show what your test numbers would be if >1500
Cool. It looks like the $69.99 one includes all the ones you listed and if your test is more than 1500 it will be reported > 1500

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Cool. It looks like the $69.99 one includes all the ones you listed and if your test is more than 1500 it will be reported > 1500

correct. Go Hawks.

New Threads