Thanks

What is the best time to take glutamine?

Hello. What is the best time to take glutamine? I've heard conflicting views regards this. I currently take 5g prior and 5g postwork-out.

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,852 Posts
    Never. It's never a good time to take glutamine. It will do absolutely nothing for you no matter when you take it.
    "Overzealous dosing" -Jin

Rest in Peace Robot Lord. First round of Natty Boh is on me when I make it up there with you brother.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PillarofBalance For This Useful Post:

Gibsonator (09-27-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 661 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PillarofBalance View Post
    Never. It's never a good time to take glutamine. It will do absolutely nothing for you no matter when you take it.

Going to have to agree..I always found it completely pointless..sure its cheap but not all wastes of money are expensive.
    Dont you want to know what it is?
    "If its a severed head im going to be very upset"-Wayne Campbell

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 656 Posts
    Eating a normal amount of protein will have you covered. Itís one of the most common things in your diet and body.

Iíve taken it at night before bed when dieting hard and being very depleted. Iíve learned to just load and avoid being in that state but at the time Iíd get susceptible to a cold and glutamine helped avoid it.

To be clear the timing didnít matter but I took stuff before bed because I thought of that period as a recover period and took stuff together that helped recovery. I.e melatonin if I couldnít skip or anti-inflamitories like curcumin/tumaric.

Itís all fairly pointless and your far better off managing your diet and training better to not get to that point to need most supps.
    ďThe only natural test-boosters I know of that work are compound lifting, steaks, and looking at boobies...Ē -Dan

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Viduus For This Useful Post:

snake (09-27-2018)

Thanks
    No supps. Just food.

Thanks
    I'm no expert, for muscle building I've read its not of any value and commonly is referred to as pointless and "a waste of money" however, for general gut health would there be any benefit ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,256 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PillarofBalance View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robdjents View Post
    Going to have to agree..I always found it completely pointless..sure its cheap but not all wastes of money are expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadawg View Post
    No supps. Just food.

All are correct, its never going to produce anything. It may contribute .05% to growth, but not even close to being worth 15/18 bux for bottle or jar of it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gymrat827 For This Useful Post:

Robdjents (09-28-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 614 Posts
    Doesn't really seem to have many benefits, but as an FYI.......(full report can be found at https://examine.com/supplements/glutamine/)

OUTCOME MAGNITUDE OF EFFECT
    ?
    CONSISTENCY OF RESEARCH RESULTS
    ?
    NOTES
    Ammonia Minor LOWSee all 3 studies Differential effects on ammonia, with decreases being present when glutamine is taken as part of a daily supplement routine and measured during prolonged exercise with a possible increase with high a...
    See more
    Blood Glucose Minor VERY HIGHSee 2 studies An increase in blood glucose may occur from direct conversion of glutamine into glucose following oral ingestion
    Creatinine Minor -See study An increase in serum creatinine has been noted, but thought to be due to a reduction in glomerular filtration rate acutely rather than due to alterations in muscle damage
    Exercise Capacity (with Heart Conditions) Minor MODERATESee 2 studies Although a failure has been noted in persons with COPD, one study has noted acute benefits in chronic stable angina with 80mg/kg oral glutamine supplementation.
    Glomerular Filtration Rate Minor -See study A decrease has been noted in elderly persons given 0.5g/kg glutamine to a level where although the authors were not concerned but some serum biomarkers were adversely affected; long-term significance...
    See more
    Insulin Minor VERY HIGHSee 2 studies An increase in insulin occurs following ingestion of glutamine supplementation, which is thought to be secondary to the increase in blood glucose seen with glutamine ingestion
    Urea Minor -See study An increase in urea has been noted with glutamine supplementation
    Uric Acid Minor -See study An increase in serum urate has been noted in the range of 10-20% acutely, but attenuates with time and is likely not a concern within a week. Practical significance of this increase unknown.
    C-Reactive Protein - -See study No significant alterations in C-Reactive Protein levels
    Cortisol - -See study No significant alterations in cortisol noted
    Fat Mass - -See study The addition of glutamine supplementation to an exercise regiment has failed to outperform placebo in reducing fat mass.
    Hematocrit - -See study No significant alterations in hematocrit noted
    Immunity - -See study No significant influence on immunity per se
    Inflammation - -See study No significant influence on inflammatory cytokines except perhaps IL-6 seen with glutamine supplementation
    Lean Mass - -See study Supplemental glutamine does not appear capable of increasing lean mass when paired with a weightlifting routine.
    Liver Enzymes - -See study In safety testing, there does not appear to be an adverse effect of glutamine supplementation on liver enzymes in serum
    Muscle Damage - -See study Serum creatinine (increased during exercise and thought to be indicative of muscle damage) does not appear to be significantly altered with glutamine supplementation
    Power Output - -See study No significant influence on power output and strength associated with glutamine supplementation over placebo.
    Symptoms of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy - -See study Glutamine has failed to be of benefit to symptoms associated with Duchenne muscle dystrophy
    Testosterone - -See study No significant alterations in testosterone noted
    White Blood Cell Count - -See study In safety testing, no significant alterations in white blood cell count is noted.
    Symptoms of Crohn's Disease Minor LOWSee all 3 studies A possible reduction of symptoms associated with Crohn's disease may occur, but this appears to be unreliable

To add, In vitro testing showed glutamine to be amazing for building muscle. Yet when glutamine is ingested by a healthy adult, the small intestines basically keep all the glutamine for themselves. Very little of that glutamine gets to your muscles. So while glutamine was very promising in vitro, it was a failure in human testing.
    Last edited by dk8594; 09-27-2018 at 09:48 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dk8594 For This Useful Post:

Milky (09-28-2018),Rhino99 (09-27-2018)

Thanks
    How about never? Seems to work for a lot of guys.