What is the best time to take glutamine?

Reaction score
Hello. What is the best time to take glutamine? I've heard conflicting views regards this. I currently take 5g prior and 5g postwork-out.

Thanks in advance

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Never. It's never a good time to take glutamine. It will do absolutely nothing for you no matter when you take it.

Robdjents

Ski bum
Reaction score
Never. It's never a good time to take glutamine. It will do absolutely nothing for you no matter when you take it.

Going to have to agree..I always found it completely pointless..sure its cheap but not all wastes of money are expensive.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Eating a normal amount of protein will have you covered. It’s one of the most common things in your diet and body.

I’ve taken it at night before bed when dieting hard and being very depleted. I’ve learned to just load and avoid being in that state but at the time I’d get susceptible to a cold and glutamine helped avoid it.

To be clear the timing didn’t matter but I took stuff before bed because I thought of that period as a recover period and took stuff together that helped recovery. I.e melatonin if I couldn’t skip or anti-inflamitories like curcumin/tumaric.

It’s all fairly pointless and your far better off managing your diet and training better to not get to that point to need most supps.

Reaction score
I'm no expert, for muscle building I've read its not of any value and commonly is referred to as pointless and "a waste of money" however, for general gut health would there be any benefit ?

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Going to have to agree..I always found it completely pointless..sure its cheap but not all wastes of money are expensive.

No supps. Just food.

All are correct, its never going to produce anything. It may contribute .05% to growth, but not even close to being worth 15/18 bux for bottle or jar of it.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Doesn't really seem to have many benefits, but as an FYI.......(full report can be found at https://examine.com/supplements/glutamine/)

OUTCOMEMAGNITUDE OF EFFECT
?
CONSISTENCY OF RESEARCH RESULTS
?
NOTES
AmmoniaMinorLOWSee all 3 studiesDifferential effects on ammonia, with decreases being present when glutamine is taken as part of a daily supplement routine and measured during prolonged exercise with a possible increase with high a...
See more
Blood GlucoseMinorVERY HIGHSee 2 studiesAn increase in blood glucose may occur from direct conversion of glutamine into glucose following oral ingestion
CreatinineMinor-See studyAn increase in serum creatinine has been noted, but thought to be due to a reduction in glomerular filtration rate acutely rather than due to alterations in muscle damage
Exercise Capacity (with Heart Conditions)MinorMODERATESee 2 studiesAlthough a failure has been noted in persons with COPD, one study has noted acute benefits in chronic stable angina with 80mg/kg oral glutamine supplementation.
Glomerular Filtration RateMinor-See studyA decrease has been noted in elderly persons given 0.5g/kg glutamine to a level where although the authors were not concerned but some serum biomarkers were adversely affected; long-term significance...
See more
InsulinMinorVERY HIGHSee 2 studiesAn increase in insulin occurs following ingestion of glutamine supplementation, which is thought to be secondary to the increase in blood glucose seen with glutamine ingestion
UreaMinor-See studyAn increase in urea has been noted with glutamine supplementation
Uric AcidMinor-See studyAn increase in serum urate has been noted in the range of 10-20% acutely, but attenuates with time and is likely not a concern within a week. Practical significance of this increase unknown.
C-Reactive Protein--See studyNo significant alterations in C-Reactive Protein levels
Cortisol--See studyNo significant alterations in cortisol noted
Fat Mass--See studyThe addition of glutamine supplementation to an exercise regiment has failed to outperform placebo in reducing fat mass.
Hematocrit--See studyNo significant alterations in hematocrit noted
Immunity--See studyNo significant influence on immunity per se
Inflammation--See studyNo significant influence on inflammatory cytokines except perhaps IL-6 seen with glutamine supplementation
Lean Mass--See studySupplemental glutamine does not appear capable of increasing lean mass when paired with a weightlifting routine.
Liver Enzymes--See studyIn safety testing, there does not appear to be an adverse effect of glutamine supplementation on liver enzymes in serum
Muscle Damage--See studySerum creatinine (increased during exercise and thought to be indicative of muscle damage) does not appear to be significantly altered with glutamine supplementation
Power Output--See studyNo significant influence on power output and strength associated with glutamine supplementation over placebo.
Symptoms of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy--See studyGlutamine has failed to be of benefit to symptoms associated with Duchenne muscle dystrophy
Testosterone--See studyNo significant alterations in testosterone noted
White Blood Cell Count--See studyIn safety testing, no significant alterations in white blood cell count is noted.
Symptoms of Crohn's DiseaseMinorLOWSee all 3 studiesA possible reduction of symptoms associated with Crohn's disease may occur, but this appears to be unreliable

To add, In vitro testing showed glutamine to be amazing for building muscle. Yet when glutamine is ingested by a healthy adult, the small intestines basically keep all the glutamine for themselves. Very little of that glutamine gets to your muscles. So while glutamine was very promising in vitro, it was a failure in human testing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
How about never? Seems to work for a lot of guys.

New Threads