Straight Bar Pulldowns?

Grizzly911

Elite
Reaction score
Does anyone regularly include straight bar pulldowns in there back workouts? If so, is it best to start the workout with that or use it as a finisher movement? Also, does it work the upper or lower lats?

Reaction score
It’s an isolation exercise that targets the upper portion of your lats. I use it regularly and like it. I save it for the end of my back workout usually. Start with pulldowns - wide grip and close grip. These exercises expend a lot of energy and that’s why I usually start with them while my back is fresh.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Try and find an old Nautilus pullover machine. It’ll work the lats the same way but you’ll be able to move MUCH heavier weights and build them much better.

http://www.leeapperson.com/bookone/pullover2.jpg

If you feel like completely exhausting yourself, superset with higher volume deadlifts.

If you don’t feel like killing yourself, do hammer strength iso high rows or dumbbell one arm rows.

Last edited:

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
I like to use the pullover machine to start to preexhaust lats and then do all the pulls after.

Iso machine followed by strict heavy dbell rows will torch the lower lats.

HDH

Elite
Reaction score
Hand positioning determines what part of the back it works.

Reverse close grip will work lower, wide works the top. I like to superset starting with wide first then to close.

Put it in where ever you like. If you're warming up, go lighter with some reps, if your in the middle of your routine, lock your legs in and pull your ass off ;)

Keep it mixed up.

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I like to start with pull-ups and then perform all my rowing exercises and finish with close, wide, reverse grip pulldowns.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Changing angles and widths is the key to a well rounded back so I think we should all be using all the bars the gym has to offer. I like pullups and the straight bar but they do put a little more strain on the bis.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
I use them at the end of my back workout, but I just go with overhand and a little wider than shoulder width grip.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Loved and always did them!!!!!

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
I use it, sometimes as a warm up, sometimes as a pre exhaust, sometimes I’ll superset it with pull ups or pulldowns but usually i use it as a finisher. I believe it’s a great exercise

Grizzly911

Elite
Reaction score
I use it, sometimes as a warm up, sometimes as a pre exhaust, sometimes I’ll superset it with pull ups or pulldowns but usually i use it as a finisher. I believe it’s a great exercise
Awesome, thanks for the helpful info. I'll work it in my routine somewhere.

New Threads