Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 659 Posts

Tricep pushdowns - Elbow pain prevention

Question for the ďgentle usedĒ older guys on the forum...

I get some minor stinging pain in my elbows when doing triceps pulldowns. Itís definitely joint/tendon related and far away from my actual tricep.

Itís not enough to really hurt or prevent me from doing them but Iím trying to body. Iím 37 and should have a long time to go if I do things right. Is there anything I should be doin proactively?

Iíve never used sleeves or anything and would honestly feel a little silly using them on something like that but Iím willing to put my pride aside if itíll keep things in good shape down the road. Do I just ignore it or do something about it?

I do different things to work my triceps but that movement hits them perfectly and Iíd hate to avoid it. Overhead dumbbell extensions can cause it as well.

ďThe only natural test-boosters I know of that work are compound lifting, steaks, and looking at boobies...Ē -Dan

Thanks
    Thanked 15,646 Times in 6,853 Posts
    Elbow pain from extensions is common. I preferred skull crushers with ez bar, pushdowns on rope but super strict and lighter weight while using a slow tempo for isolation work. Compounds were more important for me. Floor press, bench, bench from pins, spoto press and close grip bench were Mainstays.
    "Overzealous dosing" -Jin

Rest in Peace Robot Lord. First round of Natty Boh is on me when I make it up there with you brother.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PillarofBalance For This Useful Post:

Blusoul24 (10-07-2018),BRICKS (10-07-2018),Viduus (10-07-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PillarofBalance View Post
    Elbow pain from extensions is common. I preferred skull crushers with ez bar, pushdowns on rope but super strict and lighter weight while using a slow tempo for isolation work. Compounds were more important for me. Floor press, bench, bench from pins, spoto press and close grip bench were Mainstays.
    So keep an eye on it but no need to do anything for long term prevention? (Thanks)
    ďThe only natural test-boosters I know of that work are compound lifting, steaks, and looking at boobies...Ē -Dan

Thanks
    Single arm negatives after every workout with just a cable. No attachment. Use your other arm for the push down motion and do slow negatives with good bit of weight. Trust me

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadawg View Post
    Single arm negatives after every workout with just a cable. No attachment. Use your other arm for the push down motion and do slow negatives with good bit of weight. Trust me
    Interesting idea.

I’ve been playing with single arm cable pushdowns. I can go heavier then both arms together. I’ll superset it with regular pushdowns on the short bar. I’ll play around your with your idea!

The pain is very minor but I figured I’d ask and be proactive. Pride can be very costly in the long run.

Thanks
    Vid are you telling me you can push more weight with two arms than one?
    /Doc

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilDoc87 View Post
    Vid are you telling me you can push more weight with two arms than one?
    opposite lol

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Viduus View Post
    opposite lol
    My dumb ass read “when” loll I thought you just fkd up haha.. carry-on.
    interesting idea with the negs Georgia
    /Doc

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Viduus View Post
    Interesting idea.

I’ve been playing with single arm cable pushdowns. I can go heavier then both arms together. I’ll superset it with regular pushdowns on the short bar. I’ll play around your with your idea!

The pain is very minor but I figured I’d ask and be proactive. Pride can be very costly in the long run.
    I cured a horrible bout of tendonitis in the tricep connection with this strategy in about ten days. I had been out of the gym bc of it for four months

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gadawg For This Useful Post:

Viduus (10-07-2018)

Thanks
    Btw- if you can find a way to do just the eccentric portion of any spot where you have tendonitis, you can get great relieve very quickly.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gadawg For This Useful Post:

Viduus (10-07-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,698 Times in 3,330 Posts
    Looking at the big picture; how much tri work are you getting throughout the week? That tri work includes all pressing movements. If you're good here and not over training, the next suspect is to the movement itself. For pushdowns, try a rope and light weight. Focus on pulling apart the rope as you get to the bottom; separating your hands. If you do this right, you'll feel it on each rep. You could also try doing the pushdowns with your palms up and see how that feels.

One last item that could be a cause for some discomfort would be that you're just not stretched out and warmed up. Even if you are hitting tris after bench, you still should get a light warm up set in. Good luck and hope this helps.
    Hard work beats talent when talent doesnít work hard.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snake For This Useful Post:

Jada (10-08-2018),Viduus (10-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,256 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    Looking at the big picture; how much tri work are you getting throughout the week? That tri work includes all pressing movements. If you're good here and not over training, the next suspect is to the movement itself. For pushdowns, try a rope and light weight. Focus on pulling apart the rope as you get to the bottom; separating your hands. If you do this right, you'll feel it on each rep. You could also try doing the pushdowns with your palms up and see how that feels.

One last item that could be a cause for some discomfort would be that you're just not stretched out and warmed up. Even if you are hitting tris after bench, you still should get a light warm up set in. Good luck and hope this helps.

I kind of base things for me on this as well, do i get sufficient muscle group work with other exercises during the week. Do they get little bits of work from X or Y day at the gym. On chest and shoulder day, how much are they getting..?

How badly does it hurt, the movement? after you are finished working out? etc. Does it go on week to week or just days you really beat them up?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to gymrat827 For This Useful Post:

snake (10-08-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast