Critique my squat

Reaction score
I've been dealing with pain in my groin when I start getting heavier and I've been working with a trainer to fix it to no avail. Most recently I injured my lower back on this lift and now Everytime I get to the bottom of the movement I feel pain in my lower back. Getting sick of all these injuries.
Any form ideas or input would be much appreciated. This was about 80% of my 1rm.

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
form looked good, couldnt tell if you were filling your stomach with air each rep. need to work on strengthening your back. deads, bentover rows, rdls. abductor exercises and foam roller pre squat. maybe get some squat shoes and throw a belt on once you get yo the weight thats bothering ya. once your back and legs get stronger you shouldn't have the problem.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
As everyone else stated, form looks solid to me. Maybe work on other leg muscles?

If you hop on a leg adduction machine, do you feel the same pain? It could be related to squeezing to keep your knees from going out.

Proper squat form but injured/strained/week adductor muscles.

Reaction score
form looked good, couldnt tell if you were filling your stomach with air each rep. need to work on strengthening your back. deads, bentover rows, rdls. abductor exercises and foam roller pre squat. maybe get some squat shoes and throw a belt on once you get yo the weight thats bothering ya. once your back and legs get stronger you shouldn't have the problem.

I do notice when I use plates to elevate my heals the pain in my groin is a little less prominent. I've just been cheap and don't want to spend money on squat shoes. May take like a week off to let my body heal and ease back into a power trainer.

Reaction score
As everyone else stated, form looks solid to me. Maybe work on other leg muscles?

If you hop on a leg adduction machine, do you feel the same pain? It could be related to squeezing to keep your knees from going out.

Proper squat form but injured/strained/week adductor muscles.

I have been working on banded squats to strengthen my it band area and glute med.
I don't feel it on the adduction machine just mainly in a squat or when I pull my leg up to my chest when lying on my back. I'm beginning to think it's just an overuse issue because all of the things I've tried haven't really helped.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
I have been working on banded squats to strengthen my it band area and glute med.
I don't feel it on the adduction machine just mainly in a squat or when I pull my leg up to my chest when lying on my back. I'm beginning to think it's just an overuse issue because all of the things I've tried haven't really helped.

Adduction is the squeeze - opposite of a banded squat. Feeling it while lying on your back is interesting... there goes my theory!

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Contrary to what's stated above your form is not good. The way you squat, you belong in a heel. This will allow you to hit depth which you are not doing currently.

Option B is stay in a flat shoe and learn to sit back more. I usually coach people thru a box squat for this.

Your upper back looks good and you aren't wobbling around and understand how to get tight so that's great and arguably the hardest part to master.

What I would also like to hear about is your warm ups... Walk me thru what you did before this set.

Also kudos on posting a vid man. So many questions like this go unaswered cause guys won't post a vid.

Do you compete in PL?

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
buttwink needs to be fixed. Its there and needs to be addressed. Most buttwinks are the cause of poor hamstring and quad flexibility, mostly hamstrings. Proper hamstring mobility stretching can fix that.

Reaction score
Contrary to what's stated above your form is not good. The way you squat, you belong in a heel. This will allow you to hit depth which you are not doing currently.

Option B is stay in a flat shoe and learn to sit back more. I usually coach people thru a box squat for this.

Your upper back looks good and you aren't wobbling around and understand how to get tight so that's great and arguably the hardest part to master.

What I would also like to hear about is your warm ups... Walk me thru what you did before this set.

Also kudos on posting a vid man. So many questions like this go unaswered cause guys won't post a vid.

Do you compete in PL?

Well I can definitely hit a deeper squat and i am planning on competing in a PL meet in March. I used to go deeper but some of the power lifters at my gym said I don't need to squat as deep as I was, so I ran with that lol And got a little lazy with depth.

My warm on squat days is to hit the assult bike or stair machine till I get a little sweat going then I usually get into a 90 and 90 position and do other hip opening excercises. I sit in a squat untill I feel comfortable and then I will get in a wide stance and laterally lunge to each side untill I feel like my hips are nice and ready to hit the bar.
I used to roll out quads and IT band and hips but I don't do that Everytime now.

Also my work up see will be to hit the bar only for like 10 then 135 for 10( sometimes with a band just above my knees) then usually 185, 225 for 1-3 untill I get to my working weight.

Last edited:

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Well I can definitely hit a deeper squat and i am planning on competing in a PL meet in March. I used to go deeper but some of the power lifters at my gym said I don't need to squat as deep as I was, so I ran with that lol And got a little lazy with depth.

My warm on squat days is to hit the assult bike or stair machine till I get a little sweat going then I usually get into a 90 and 90 position and do other hip opening excercises. I sit in a squat untill I feel comfortable and then I will get in a wide stance and laterally lunge to each side untill I feel like my hips are nice and ready to hit the bar.
I used to roll out quads and IT band and hips but I don't do that Everytime now.

Also my work up see will be to hit the bar only for like 10 then 135 for 10( sometimes with a band just above my knees) then usually 185, 225 for 1-3 untill I get to my working weight.

Add in a couple light sets of Romanian deads with dumbbells for sets of 10.

And do more warm up reps. If your working weights as shown is around 275, that's not a lot of opportunity to move. Squat the bar for a couple sets of 10 of until you feel loose. Then squat 95 for sets of 8 to 10 until you are FULLY LOOBED AND READY FOR PENETRATION. Then go 135 for 5, 225 for whatever your work sets call for and work up slower. 5's and 10's are your friend.

Remember that warming up doesnt mean a prescribed number of reps and then go. It means get warm. Feel prepared to go heavy. If you don't, keep warming up.

In fact warm ups are a great way to bump overall volume without burning yourself out.

Reaction score
buttwink needs to be fixed. Its there and needs to be addressed. Most buttwinks are the cause of poor hamstring and quad flexibility, mostly hamstrings. Proper hamstring mobility stretching can fix that.

Really you think that's buttwink? I have been incorporating a lot more mobility excercises into my routines so hopefully soon it will be fixed.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Only thing I would add is forcing knees out a little more in the hole which will allot u to sit back more like pob said.

You keep hurting your back because it's not healing 100 percent.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Really you think that's buttwink? I have been incorporating a lot more mobility excercises into my routines so hopefully soon it will be fixed.

yes it was pretty obvious. As I mentioned add in more hamstring mobility stretching. It will help with your hamstring flexibility. Sometimes it could just be one hamstring causing this. You'll see once your hamstrings have more elasticity you buttwink will be non existent

Last edited:

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Well you heard it's good and it's not good. I personally don't see a problem but I'm not you. How did your form feel before you hurt yourself?

I would pay heed to what X said, you need to heal your body or this will haunt you. If it were me, and it was serious enough, I'd cut out squats for 2 weeks and start back slow with 135 for reps. I'd also avoid low reps for a long time. Hope you find your answer.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
I think the biggest problem with this video is the "music" your gym plays

Reaction score
Well you heard it's good and it's not good. I personally don't see a problem but I'm not you. How did your form feel before you hurt yourself?

I would pay heed to what X said, you need to heal your body or this will haunt you. If it were me, and it was serious enough, I'd cut out squats for 2 weeks and start back slow with 135 for reps. I'd also avoid low reps for a long time. Hope you find your answer.

I was on this 8 week power trainer I found online and everything was going pretty good up untill I tweaked it. It's gonna be tough but I know my body needs a break. I'll just go do some heavy sled pushes for workouts untill it starts feeling better.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I was on this 8 week power trainer I found online and everything was going pretty good up untill I tweaked it. It's gonna be tough but I know my body needs a break. I'll just go do some heavy sled pushes for workouts untill it starts feeling better.

Maybe I should have included other leg work when I said squats. Take the 2 weeks from all leg work. Some stretching may be beneficial and 3 days of naproxen. I would forgo anything that evolved my back and legs, including cardio.

New Threads