Home gyms

bugman

Elite
Reaction score
As some of you know already, I have my Crossfit Level 1 training certificate. (Insert your jokes here) I stopped training at my local gym as of last December 31 due to work and continued disagreements with the gym owner's business Philosophy. The wife and I decided to slowly get equipment for the house and it's coming along nicely.

We have the basic stuff, a bench, squat rack, his/her bars, a ghd. Wall balls, kettlebells... we decided to start backing off on heavier weights as a general rule and only have 300 lbs worth of plates. If we decide to go heavy, we just go to a friends house and bum off of his stuff.

Now, I've said all of that say this. One of my favorite pieces of equipment we have now is a 275 lbs tractor tire. I've got a few holes drilled in so we can add a handle/grip and do farmer carries and shrugs. But tonight, we each did basic tire flips. In 45 minutes time we each flipped it 160 times. Now that's no speed record, but it's fun to me.

Anybody else here have "unorthodox" things that you use to workout with?? Give me some ideas.

Last edited:

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
A pullup station is next!

Came here to suggest this, Bug. Dipping station / pull-up bar and a good dipping belt for addtl resistance. Cheap, doesn't take much floor space and lots ye can do with it.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I want a tire but tractors are smaller here.

Can you post a pic?

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
I always like a good length or two of chain, (2) 8-10ft, heavy military grade haul chain. Weld a collar on the end of a couple of pieces, let the fun begin. Army surplus store is a gold mine for unorthodox shit.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Always saw the local football team doing tire flips. They look they would be a good all over body workout but they would destroy my back and effect my squat so I'll pass.

Back in high school they had those peg boards; they were assume. I think anything that can get you to focus on the task and not the pain is a winner. This shit is also great for our youth. Young bucks always want to prove whose cock is bigger so they will push this stuff around their buddies.

photo-55-768x1024.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

bugman

Elite
Reaction score
I've got plenty on my deadlift and squat. Lol. My back gets a major pump but like anything else, keep good form and it's all good. My biceps wont let me do any peg board work anymore though.

Last edited:

Mrs P

Lady Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
We have bow flex dumbbells 10-90, with a switch knob from 10 to 90 pounds and a bench, practically that's really all we need.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have a home gym that would make a lot of "real" gyms weep...

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i have a decent setup at home. But still need a solid gym workout for the big lifts.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Ha. I had envisioned a single handle on the tread where the rubber meets the road and was wondering where you found a 275 lb tire short enough to farmer carry that way.

Thanks

New Threads