Building a Bigger bench

DevilDoc87

Elite
Reaction score
Oh I was talking to s30 about how I know how fkd it is to have fkd up knees.. give it as much time as possible before having them replaced.. same holds true for basically any surgery.

ken Sass

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Step 1 is learning how to bench. So having someone who actually knows how to bench properly and can teach it is where you should start.

Step 2 is what can take time. Finding what method works for you. I can share what works for me when I really need to dial up my press.

I will press 3 times per week. Only once in competition set up and twice it's a conjugate. My go-to conjugates for bench were floor press, standing OH press, incline press.

On days 1 and 2 I'd just make sure to get somewhere from 20 to 30 reps in above @7. I would follow that up with 5x10 @7 to @8 upper back work, supplemental arms.

On the 3rd day I do comp bench for a triple @9 plus 3 to 4 back off sets. Then the usual upper back work and that's it.
the hard part is finding a trainer in podunk tn

Turbolag

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Definitely would like to hear input on this topic. Bench press is hard for me to improve.

Last edited:
Reaction score
There's rarely people around when I train. The gym I go to is split-upstairs are pretty people and downstairs is a dark dungeon. People rarely wander downstairs lol.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
I honestly think it's probably impossible to really train for a big bench without a spotter.

Reaction score
I honestly think it's probably impossible to really train for a big bench without a spotter.
Often I’ll bench in a rack that I can set stops. I’m not saying I couldn’t benefit from someone there to spot me, I just try to make due with what I have. I have gotten stuck in the past and had to dump the weight and I have had a bar come down on my chest. That shit sucks balls

New Threads