Arther Jones HIT - What happened?

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
I know training concepts come and go like any industry trends but I’m curious of one of the older guys can explain why Arther Jones HIT style training went out of style.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_training

I’ve become a big fan of DC style training and never new where Dante’s ideas came from.

After doing more reading about high-intensity training I learned that Arther jones was one of the first advocates for that style of training. Then people like the Mentzer’s and Dorian carried it in. Was there a season this faded?

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
His techniques were definitely the foundation for Dorian's style of training.

Rot-Iron66

Elite
Reaction score
Youtube and Gym Bro's. Not exciting to film/watch. Too much pain for many modern day twinks. Plus, not really an enjoyable way to train for most.
I know I dont like it. Still a large following on El Darden's forum, many still practice it. They re just not out on Youtube acting like fools w/ it...

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Arthur Jones was before my time (though I still contend that the original Nautilus equipment was some of the best ever made), but Mentzer and Yates were some of my early inspiration and I took a lot of plays from their playbook. There was a definite resurgence of it during the Yates era, but it has faded since his retirement.

A few reasons I think we don’t see much of it:

• For the most part, I’d say 95% of gym goers don’t’ have the stomach for it. A triple set of leg presses or forced reps on squats are fuking miserable and don’t leave the average gym goer with enough oxygen to BS with their buds or check their FB.

• Those who do have the stomach for it enjoy their time in the gym. Short, infrequent workouts ,though potentially effective, aren’t necessarily appealing to those who enjoy their gym time.

• Commercial gyms discourage it. Those who strain are outliers and intimidate those who are calling it in. (Plus, good luck doing a superset without someone stealing your equipment)

• DOMS. For those on this board it’s a way of life; for other’s it’s a sign to slow down.

• It got a little absurd at times. I remember Mentzer at one point proposing a 1 rep set (basically a concentric hold to failure)

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
You can incorporate these techniques into regular old volume training without going full bore into a yates style. I do drop sets as part of every workout for every bodypart. At the end of back day yesterday, I decided to run the rack doing dumbell rows on a quad drop set. I can promise you I had nothing left to give by the last rep on that fourth weight. That is the type of intensity that spurs muscle growth. Eventually, volume training always piddles out for me.

But as was said before, these workouts dont work for everyone because most people just will not push themselves to total failure.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
• Those who do have the stomach for it enjoy their time in the gym. Short, infrequent workouts ,though potentially effective, aren’t necessarily appealing to those who enjoy their gym time.

This is the hard one for me.

• It got a little absurd at times. I remember Mentzer at one point proposing a 1 rep set (basically a concentric hold to failure)

Every pendulum swings a little to far. Hadn’t heard this one - too funny!