sharp pain with seated cable row

ShiftieGears

Lady Member
Reaction score
I need help understanding what kinds of pains you play through and what kinds mean to take a break. Today on first rep of seated cable row felt something in the right shoulder that induced a "OH SHIT!". could not even do one rep without this thing screaming at me. Tried the motion with no weight and still had the pain but to a lesser degree, still bad enough the exercise wasn't getting done with any amt of weight. Feel nothing just walking around or being. Moved onto lat pull and failed there due to same sharp deep tissue pain in right shoulder. What is this and how does it happen? Been training with enough weight to cause failure before or by rep 8.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
I need help understanding what kinds of pains you play through and what kinds mean to take a break. Today on first rep of seated cable row felt something in the right shoulder that induced a "OH SHIT!". could not even do one rep without this thing screaming at me. Tried the motion with no weight and still had the pain but to a lesser degree, still bad enough the exercise wasn't getting done with any amt of weight. Feel nothing just walking around or being. Moved onto lat pull and failed there due to same sharp deep tissue pain in right shoulder. What is this and how does it happen? Been training with enough weight to cause failure before or by rep 8.

Thats a stop moment. Theres a difference between it hurting from the workout and actual pain. Im sure youre aware of that. If it had that kind of reaction on the first rep then you did the right thing not trying to push it.

What were you doing before you tried the rows?

Also was the pain located like in the muscle of the shoulder or did it feel more in the joint?

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Need some more detail about the oh shit moment and what you felt, where you felt it and what exactly were you doing when it hurt.

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
Without some of the info asked for above, pretty tuff to say, but I would lean towards a cuff injury preliminarily speaking.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
If it's an injury, there is no "Play through".

I have a protocol for injury that you may want to adopted in the future. As soon as you feel something go, drop the weight as safely as possible. Do not try to push through the rep or you'll only make the injury worse. Don't try to test it with lighter weight of the same movement. Trust me, that's a hard thing to not do; been there. For me, I'm done in the gym at this point. Since it's my gym and I can do this, I won't even unload my bar or equipment.

Next is 2 Naproxen every 12 hr. for 3 days. Ice on for 15 min. off for 30 min the rest of the day. Despite the urge to do so, do not test it or stretch it; it's like pulling on a shirt that's already ripped. Anything that would involve that joint gets shelved for the next week. I will start back in this those exercises that involve that joint the following week but not the exercise that caused it. Week 3 I'll add the movement back in that caused the injury but real light; 30% of the workout weight for high reps.

As for the injury, any chance you can recall at what point you got injured in the lower cable row movement? Wider or narrow grip?

ShiftieGears

Lady Member
Reaction score
It was narrow grip on the row. shape of the sensation feeling narrow and long makes me think its muscle fiber or connective tissue. hadn't done anything yet that day, that was the first exercise I went to. May have done something to myself the day before and didn't feel it right away.

New Threads