Fasted Cardio - Effective due to Carnitine?

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
While reading the following Wikipedia section about Carnitine, it occurred to me this is a valid reason for fasted cardio being more effective at fat burning calories in the short run.

Two things:

• We make enough from all the lysine we get in our protein - no need to supplement
  • Calories in/out says this might be more efficient at burning fat but the energy used during the day would have rebalanced the fat anyway.

Summary: Carnitine helps move fatty acids into mitochondria to be used as energy. The liver inhibits this step when it’s in the process of storing excess sugar. So maybe it’s not just fasted cardio but also cardio during normal blood sugar levels that’s effective where cardio during excessive sugar has fatty acid metabolism slowed down.

===============================
From Wikipedia:

Regulation of fatty acid β oxidation

The carnitine-mediated entry process is a rate-limiting factor for fatty acid oxidation and is an important point of regulation.

Inhibition

The liver starts actively making triglycerides from excess glucose when it is supplied with glucose that cannot be oxidized or stored as glycogen. This increases the concentration of malonyl-CoA, the first intermediate in fatty acid synthesis, leading to the inhibition of carnitine acyltransferase 1, thereby preventing fatty acid entry into the mitochondrial matrix for β oxidation. This inhibition prevents fatty acid breakdown while synthesis is happening.

Activation

Carnitine activation occurs due to a need for fatty acid oxidation which is required for energy production. During vigorous muscle contraction or during fasting, ATP concentration decrease and AMP concentration increase which leads to the activation of AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK). AMPK phosphorylates acetyl-CoA carboxylase which catalyzes malonyl-CoA synthesis. This phosphorylation inhibits the acetyl-CoA carboxylase which in turn lowers the concentration of malonyl-CoA and as a result it relieves the inhibition of fatty acyl–carnitine transport into mitochondria, thus allowing β oxidation to replenish the supply of ATP.

Last edited:

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
This may be why I see so much fat loss when I combine time window eating with fasted cardio. People can say what they want but my results are ridiculous.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
This may be why I see so much fat loss when I combine time window eating with fasted cardio. People can say what they want but my results are ridiculous.

You don’t count.

You’re the white genetic equivalent of the gift, Phil Heath. You should’ve started juicing way earlier. Oh well, the World’s loss.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Lol. I knew it wouldnt be long before you came in. :)

The Tater

Elite
Reaction score
I was reading a clinical study the other day talking about how L-Carnatine help with insulin sensitivity in type 2 diabetics (like myself) so I was thinking about giving it a go. I need some help to stimulate fat loss. I feel like my body quickly adjusts to a calorie deficit and just slows the **** down on the fat burning.

New Threads