Caffeine: you’re doing it wrong

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Bottom line: dosing is a lot higher than you’d expect for maximal results.

Low: 3mg/kg body weight
Moderate: 6mg/kg
High: 9mg/kg

Most studies show a moderate dose to be most effective with a high dose being no more effective.

I’m 120kg and 6mg/kg yields a dose of 720mg of caffeine. I’ve been using 600 pre workout with good results and little to no side effects.

“Thats crazy” you say. “My pre workout only has 140mg of caffeine per serving and it makes me feel like I’m on crack!”

News flash: it’s not the caffeine in pre workouts that’s primarily responsible for the jittery feeling you may get. Usually this is the results of some sort of “propriety blend” which contains God knows what.

It’s my option that a 6mg/kilo dose of caffeine is much safer for you than taking untested ingredients in pre workouts.

Caffeine is dirt cheap too. Even my dose of 600mg costs less than .25 per serving.

For those of you who drink coffee: the data show caffeine from coffee to be inferior to anhydrous caffeine.

Try it at 6mg/kg and see what you think.

Main article (study groups were mostly endurance athletes)
https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-7-5

Another paper showing caffeine’s effectiveness in powerlifting/1RM
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5839013/

I probably haven’t done this subject justice so my guess is Zilla will either come by with clarifications or maybe even do a proper write up.

Last edited:

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This ignores some of the other factors, such as what happens when 600mg of caffeine wears off. Or what happens when you take that much caffeine in at 6pm to hit the gym and now you can't sleep till 3am.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
This ignores some of the other factors, such as what happens when 600mg of caffeine wears off. Or what happens when you take that much caffeine in at 6pm to hit the gym and now you can't sleep till 3am.

I was mainly suggesting caffeine as an alternative to pre workouts. Your two factors apply to both situations.

Personally I wouldn’t take pre work out or my full dose of caffeine after 3-4pm. If I workout in the evening it’s 300mg caffeine And I can still sleep fine.

As for 600mg in the morning? The half life means that some caffeine stays in my body until at least early to mid afternoon. Then it’s time for a cup of coffee.

And since when have we cared about consequences? So long as we can eek out 3% more on our 1RM, who GAS about sleep?

Last edited:

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
It's the Jekyll that's around 140, Hyde is closer to 500 i believe. But i do get what ur sayin. Where is good place to buy the caffiene solo?

Reaction score
It's the Jekyll that's around 140, Hyde is closer to 500 i believe. But i do get what ur sayin. Where is good place to buy the caffiene solo?
Any grocery store/gas station/pharmacy. No Doz or some shit like that.

Preworkout barely effects me. They're nothing like they used to be, I miss the old days....

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score

I get mine from iHerb because free delivery to Asia. You can gen get them On Amazon too. 100, 200mg pills for under $8. Possibly less than that.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
“Caffeine” doesn’t give me the same boost “DeathKiller”,”hypeXplode”,”VeinBurster” does. Science says 2/3s of the effectiveness comes from the branding. (I read it on the box)

(I use caffeine pills for a boost if I need it these days. Left over from EC experiments and simple like you said)

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
never could understand the whole pre work craze. Just shut up and lift! never took a pre workout in all my years of lifting. My love of the weights was always enough hype for me.

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
It's worth noting that caffeine doesn't actually give you any more energy than you already have. All it does is block the signals that tell you you're tired. That's all well and good but you're effectively burning the candle at both ends. Make sure your sleep is sufficient and take some time off of caffeine every once in a while.

Last edited:
Reaction score
never could understand the whole pre work craze. Just shut up and lift! never took a pre workout in all my years of lifting. My love of the weights was always enough hype for me.
Honestly I wish I never did either. Years ago, they made you feel invincible. Today, it's garbage.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score

Caffeine is a performance enhancing drug. You took steroids to enhance performance, so why not other things?

not trying to pick a fight but I think it’s a fair question to ask.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Caffeine is a performance enhancing drug. You took steroids to enhance performance, so why not other things?

my answer is I never needed a stimulant to enhance my hype at the gym. i was always excited come gym time. You're comparing two different things. I would drink Gatorade during training but it wasn't for a stimulant effect. I'm not knocking people who take pre workouts, I just never had an interest or a need for it.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It's worth noting that caffeine doesn't actually give you any more energy than you already have. All it does is block the signals that tell you you're tired. That's all well and good but you're effectively burning the candle at both ends. Make sure your sleep is sufficient and take some time off of caffeine every once in a while.

Don't overlook this post you guys. Ron makes one of the better points here because he is addressing how caffeine actually works. Caffeine just antagonizes the adenosine receptor. So it doesn't give you energy per se, but rather prevents you from becoming tired.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
my answer is I never needed a stimulant to enhance my hype at the gym. i was always excited come gym time. You're comparing two different things. I would drink Gatorade during training but it wasn't for a stimulant effect. I'm not knocking people who take pre workouts, I just never had an interest or a need for it.

Gotcha.

10char

snake

Veteran
Reaction score

I'm with you on this Seek. Maybe we're just ol' school but give my 20-24 oz mug of coffee before the gym and I'm good.

I doubt caffeine is in the same room as AAS. Now I know you were not implying that but you know they are worlds apart buddy. Personally, I think there's a psychological effect to a big cup of coffee; it's signals the commencement of my workout.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
I wish caffeine kept me from getting tired. Crap doesn’t have a noticeable effect on me.

Reaction score
I wish caffeine kept me from getting tired. Crap doesn’t have a noticeable effect on me.
Me neither, other than I'm clearly addicted to it as if I go long without I get incredible headaches.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
“Caffeine” doesn’t give me the same boost “DeathKiller”,”hypeXplode”,”VeinBurster” does. Science says 2/3s of the effectiveness comes from the branding. (I read it on the box)

(I use caffeine pills for a boost if I need it these days. Left over from EC experiments and simple like you said)

I too am always on the market for a better placebo.

Reactions: Jin

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

take a 4wk break and let your adrenal glands get a rest

200 mg will have a big effect than.

I buy 200, 200 mg caffeine pills from walmart and take 1/4 serving of a pre workout and half of a 200mg pill. Does me good.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
Double espresso left to go cold and mixed with my morning chocolate protein shake Is all the caffeine I need

New Threads