Lower Back Training

Grizzly911

Elite
Reaction score
What are some good exercises to add into lower back training besides hyperextensions?

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
You do not need to target your lower back if you squat and deadlift.

Hyper extensions are meant to target your hamstrings, not really your lower back.

Grizzly911

Elite
Reaction score

Hyper extensions are meant to target your hamstrings, not really your lower back.
I do Squats and Front Squats on leg day and on hamstring day I add in stiff leg deads. All this should help too right? I'm also tryiing to thicken up my lower back and bring out some details as well.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I do Squats and Front Squats on leg day and on hamstring day I add in stiff leg deads. All this should help too right? I'm also tryiing to thicken up my lower back and bring out some details as well.

You ain’t getting detail out of your spinal erectors dude. Google image search Ronnie Coleman’s back and see for yourself. Not much detail in the lower back and that’s at stage BF.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Low back work is pretty much never a bad idea.

And you can target hams or low back on hypers by moving the pad up or down. You probably don't know that due to your height though lol

What are some good exercises to add into lower back training besides hyperextensions?

See if you can rig a reverse hyper with a band or something. Hell buy one for home lol.

Otherwise, my go to... Butt walks for the QL for tons of reps, good mornings, suspended good mornings, SSB squats, planks, bird dogs.

You ain’t getting detail out of your spinal erectors dude. Google image search Ronnie Coleman’s back and see for yourself. Not much detail in the lower back and that’s at stage BF.

Good point. Christmas tree appears after fat loss.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Most people have covered what I know. The only addition I have is a variation of a good morning.

I hold a weighted barbell curled out about eight inches from my chin. Your elbows are at a right angle and your upper arms sticking straight out. Bend over and hold for ten seconds then slowly come up. Don’t drop your arms. Repeat until you want to cry.

I find those work my erectors more then hyperextensions. Plus you get a nice arm pump ;)

German89

Elite
Reaction score
I do hypers just the way POB noted. I lower the pad right down, grab a 80lbs dumbbell and pump them out. Your lower back will get lit. Just make sure you arent coming all the way back and arching your back, (If that makes sense). you can always do reverse hypers as well. I typically do reversed ones pre squats.

Deadlifts, squats, id say good mornings hit lower back a little bit as well.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
I give my son a shower now just for that reason. Less bending and, its over in less than 3 mins.

So, in contrast, do you stand on a stool when you give Hurt a bath?

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I give my son a shower now just for that reason. Less bending and, its over in less than 3 mins.

lmao...when I wash my dog...in the shower.... I get on my knees ...fuccck that standing and bending over!

German89

Elite
Reaction score
lmao...when I wash my dog...in the shower.... I get on my knees ...fuccck that standing and bending over!

Miinneeee... mine, wont get in the bath. I have to get 2 5gallon buckets, and do it outside, with a bowl of hotdogs... so annoying.. and i gotta pamper him too. Such a douch!

New Threads