'Cool Sculpting' - WTF have I gotten myself into?

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
... An actual plastic surgeon who sucks fat out of people then stretches their skin told me the Cool Sculpting is just a scam. Yes, he has an incentive to say that, but no, because he had plenty of business.
And he's telling the truth, because if it was legit, he'd just offer that service as well. It would be easy money for him.

Again, someone please tell me how it can possibly freeze and kill fat cells, but somehow leave the skin cells unharmed? Explain that voodoo!!!

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i would try it if it was free pain or no pain

Reaction score
And he's telling the truth, because if it was legit, he'd just offer that service as well. It would be easy money for him.

Again, someone please tell me how it can possibly freeze and kill fat cells, but somehow leave the skin cells unharmed? Explain that voodoo!!!
I have looked into this over the years but have never tried it, mostly due to the price. Here I am again searching UGBB for any new info. I have stubborn love handles and belly fat that stick around till the bitter fucking end.

They advertise that the fat in the subcutaneous fat cells, be it the entire triglyceride, or the component fatty acids, will freeze at higher temperature than the other tissue. When the frozen "fat" expands it supposedly pops and kills the fat cell.

It is easy to see that most saturated fats have melting points well above that of water, and that animal meat fat (like us?) is mostly saturated soooo... it must work right?

I have no fucking idea. I was gonna ask ya'll.

Kraken

Reaction score
I looked into the freeze thing several years ago. I went to several providers and they all told me I just didn't have enough fat. I was trying to get rid of a little stubborn belly fat, and it was pinchable. Unless you have a good bit of fat they can't suck it into their machine.

I also learned that after the cells are frozen, they die but it will take your body seven to nine months for your body to eliminate those dead cells. Slow is good to prevent stretch marks and skin that won't shrink, but that's really slow.

Finally I went to an actual doctor who said he would remove it. I didn't go that route either. His take on Cool Scuplting is that it's a scam, but of course he competes with it. Well, not really but it seem so.

It's affordable but still, keep your money.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
I have stubborn love handles and belly fat that stick around till the bitter fucking end.
Not trying to be a dick, but eat less food and be more active in general. This is what it takes to lose the fat.

It might take a while, since you can spot reduce and people carry more fat than they realize.

If you really want a procedure then just go pay for liposuction.

beefnewton

Reaction score
Had an experience pretty much identical to Kraken, but they were very upfront about the limits and having realistic expectations for it. My issue is loose skin at this point, and if you don't have any actual fat to grip, it won't work. Cool Sculpting is kind of niche for those trying to avoid long recovery times from lipo/surgery. It's also pretty expensive for such limited results. I ended up scheduling with a plastic surgeon to just lipo the remaining fat on my lower back along with a mini-abdominoplasty in April. Certainly a great deal more expensive than Cool Scultpting but completely resolves the problem. Recovery was estimated for me at three weeks due to minimal lipo and not having to do any muscle work (apparently they have to do something with the stomach muscles in most cases). I originally thought it was going to be 6-8 weeks, which is what kept me from pursuing it sooner.

Kraken

Reaction score
Had an experience pretty much identical to Kraken, but they were very upfront about the limits and having realistic expectations for it. My issue is loose skin at this point, and if you don't have any actual fat to grip, it won't work. Cool Sculpting is kind of niche for those trying to avoid long recovery times from lipo/surgery. It's also pretty expensive for such limited results. I ended up scheduling with a plastic surgeon to just lipo the remaining fat on my lower back along with a mini-abdominoplasty in April. Certainly a great deal more expensive than Cool Scultpting but completely resolves the problem. Recovery was estimated for me at three weeks due to minimal lipo and not having to do any muscle work (apparently they have to do something with the stomach muscles in most cases). I originally thought it was going to be 6-8 weeks, which is what kept me from pursuing it sooner.
Roughly how much? Roughly where are you located geographically?

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Best keep to strict nurtitiin following that lipo surgery bro. I've worked with plastic surgeons for 26 years (anesthesia). There's no way they get all the fat out of the area, they can't. Fat cells grow, and they grow, and they grow. They do not multiply, they just grow. I don't know of a single patient (I'm sure there are plenty, but none that I know of) who keep it off but most end up right back where they started. It's your money, and good luck. Just sharing information your surgeon probably didn't tell you. I've paid for cosmetic procedures for my wife (and my ex) but if she asked for this I'd tell her fk no. Then again Mrs BRICKS is leaner than moat of the guys in this board. FWIW

beefnewton

Reaction score
Roughly how much? Roughly where are you located geographically?

I'm in TN. The small belt abdominoplasty is $7.3k, but then there are facility and anesthesia fees totalling roughly $6k. I added a facelift, as well, which is $12.6k, so that no doubt adds to the anesthesia and facility costs. Entire procedure estimated at 6.5 hours. The surgeon is in pretty high demand. I saw him two months ago and earliest surgery date was in April. I was surprised to see the abdominoplasty cost so much "less" than the facelift. Just seems the facelift would be less work.

beefnewton

Reaction score
Best keep to strict nurtitiin following that lipo surgery bro. I've worked with plastic surgeons for 26 years (anesthesia). There's no way they get all the fat out of the area, they can't. Fat cells grow, and they grow, and they grow. They do not multiply, they just grow. I don't know of a single patient (I'm sure there are plenty, but none that I know of) who keep it off but most end up right back where they started. It's your money, and good luck. Just sharing information your surgeon probably didn't tell you. I've paid for cosmetic procedures for my wife (and my ex) but if she asked for this I'd tell her fk no. Then again Mrs BRICKS is leaner than moat of the guys in this board. FWIW

Oh no my diet is very strict. I can't imagine ever going back to my previous lifestyle, but life tends to be cyclical... so I can never say anything 100%. Everything is logged, and it's gotten where eating clean simply feels too good to go back. Been over a year now since changing my food habits. I'll allow myself a one-night indulgence every Sat night, which always makes me feel like shit the next day, but does stave off boredom and also may help fill in some nutritional gaps. There are other times I do cheat in smaller ways like having an extra apple and finishing off a jar of nut butter, but overall it's been consistent over a long(er) period of time.

I posted this a while back and not much has changed other than a more defined stomach. You see the outline of my abs a bit more easily now. Most remaining fat is on lower back, and it's really not much there either.

1671623368351.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not trying to be a dick, but eat less food and be more active in general. This is what it takes to lose the fat.

It might take a while, since you can spot reduce and people carry more fat than they realize.

It is amazing that people are willing to spend money and go through something invasive (even if it's mild, but still) rather than just cut calories and move more, which doesn't cost anything and actually is healthy for the most part. It is almost euphoric feeling to get leaner after being too bulky for some time, even getting to 12-15% after being 20+ you start to feel and look good. Sometimes the easy way out is not what it seems to be and what about long term maintenance? Nobody thinks about such things.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Oh no my diet is very strict. I can't imagine ever going back to my previous lifestyle, but life tends to be cyclical... so I can never say anything 100%. Everything is logged, and it's gotten where eating clean simply feels too good to go back. Been over a year now since changing my food habits. I'll allow myself a one-night indulgence every Sat night, which always makes me feel like shit the next day, but does stave off boredom and also may help fill in some nutritional gaps. There are other times I do cheat in smaller ways like having an extra apple and finishing off a jar of nut butter, but overall it's been consistent over a long(er) period of time.

I posted this a while back and not much has changed other than a more defined stomach. You see the outline of my abs a bit more easily now. Most remaining fat is on lower back, and it's really not much there
Looks like you've lost a shitload of fat. Strong work.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
It is amazing that people are willing to spend money and go through something invasive (even if it's mild, but still) rather than just cut calories and move more, which doesn't cost anything and actually is healthy for the most part. It is almost euphoric feeling to get leaner after being too bulky for some time, even getting to 12-15% after being 20+ you start to feel and look good. Sometimes the easy way out is not what it seems to be and what about long term maintenance? Nobody thinks about such things.
Don't disagree... Chances are that if someone doesn't have their diet already in check for a long time... To where it's a natural habitat and secondary nature, that they will likely just regain the weight after they have a cosmetic procedure done.

beefnewton

Reaction score
Looks like you've lost a shitload of fat. Strong work.

Thanks. I plateau'ed a while back. I still lose, but it's a trickle. I've experimented with macro's to the point I'm in a zone where I can still lose fat but not lose muscle. I'll see some fresh vascularity popping up, particularly in my thighs. I'm fine with that, because it's not a means to an end, at which point I just revert and go back to old habits. At some point, it's going to stop anyway, because there will be nothing left to lose. My issue is the loose skin, which is a lot worse on my lower back and lower glutes. Since the abdominoplasty is going to be a full belt, it will also have a positive side effect of lifting glutes as well. He said there wasn't much to lipo, but he'd get what he saw. I think he going to find more than he's implying, but maybe he's talking in relative terms to what he usually has to do.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I always say, "Let's run the course", so here we go.

I'll go with an example that I have seen a few times. Mrs. Doe is in here late 40's and done with having kids. Wants to have a Mommy Makeover. Tummy gets tucked, boobs get put in or lifted and they suck a few lbs off of her sides.

After all is healed up in a few months, she feels great about herself, but nothing is free. She doesn't adjust her diet and when the body gets ahold of the extra calories (something precious to the body) it is going to keep it. Like Bricks said, those fat cells get bigger and smaller. If there is no fat cells to expand in that area, the body finds another place for it. So since it can't put some in the belly and sides, it's all going into the hips and ass. There goes any proportion. Now it's a skinny middle, big booty and some thunder thighs 2-3 years later.

Reaction score

Yes, I suppose that would be the logical first step.

Guess I'll just have to go harder on both fronts going forward.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Same goes with people that get gastric bypass. I seen quite a few lose the weight over 2-3 years.

After that they start gaining again.

Kraken

Reaction score
don't know of a single patient (I'm sure there are plenty, but none that I know of) who keep it off but most end up right back where they started.
I have a friend in Florida who was very heavy, like 100 or more extra pounds, had all kinds of work done. Sucked it out, stretched his skin, new navel, some work on his face and so on. This was maybe 25 years ago. Only took him a few years to be far bigger than he was. He is still really big now, trying to lose it through diet.

In this case, all that skin is going nowhere without the surgery. I'm surprised it's as expensive as it is.

New Threads