How to properly bench press?

Reaction score
Lol... We on the same wavelength. Was about to offer bench instruction to the first 5 who need it.

So, anyone who wants to fix their shitty bench hit me up in this thread. First come first serve. 2 weeks of work. 3 days per week. If you have a good bench sit this out. If you are incapable of taking decent film in the gym this ain't for you.
Define “good bench”?

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
I used to think I knew how. Almost 3 years since a pr. Kinda depressing.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
Just took 2 videos of benching, one warm up and one at 225

Reaction score
What percentage of max are you guys shooting your vids? Can we all watch and learn?

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
225 is probably around 75-80% maybe. I didn’t bother to figure it out. I almost never go by percentage and I also almost never go for a 1rm.
225 was as high as I went today, did 3 sets of 4 at that weight and then back down

#TheMatrix

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Just a question to anybody who benches.
When you extend(lift). Do your Tris do the work? Do you keep your chest pushed out? I've seen some people sink in their chest at the end of the extension (lift).
I've always kept my chest pushed out and I've never felt like I exhaust my chest. But my Tris feel like theyve been out through a blender.

So my Tris give out before I feel like I worked out my chest.
I went somewhat heavy(for me) 2 weeks ago. And I payed the price. The joint POB mentioned definitely hurt like an injury that hasn't healed or will heal for a week.

And damn it I loved every painfully second of that week.

Ok I lied. I hated it while trying to sleep. I have to extend my arm out at shoulder height and place my opposite side ear to my shoulder. To keep that part of my body stretched and not feel tight. All while hoping I get some sleep.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
What percentage of max are you guys shooting your vids? Can we all watch and learn?

Im going to leave this up to pillar, the only issue I’d have with it being put up for public view is you always end up getting multiple opinions on what they are watching...and not that I don’t value most guys opinions here, I think it would be best if for now it was just pillar giving his.

Just my 2 cents on it

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Probably best to be coached in private. I'm sure PoB can post something up on proper form at some point if he has time.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score

I did one with the bar and a full set with one plate. I’ve never tried maxing since I get shoulder pain and my mechanics are crap. (Hence me starting the thread)

Anything over 150 becomes all front delts and bad technique. Based on my experience level and what I do on machines, I should be in the 200-225 range. Who knows, we’ll see....

Reaction score
I usually like to see above 80% to judge technique but for guys who are new to being coached I start with the bar anyway.
Well shit homie I wanna bench 5 plates! Why aren’t you guys posting up in here so we can all see and learn. Don’t be scared!

Reaction score
Just a question to anybody who benches.
When you extend(lift). Do your Tris do the work? Do you keep your chest pushed out? I've seen some people sink in their chest at the end of the extension (lift).
Since you asked the question to anybody, I’ll give you my answer. When I set up I pull my shoulder blades together as tight as possible and try to drive them into the bench. Then I throw an arch in my back (nothing ridiculous) and keep my chest high. When I lower the bar I try to keep my elbows tucked, touch my chest and drive it up with everything I’ve got. I know for sure I’m not getting the leg drive I should, I need to work on that. I’d like to follow along and see what pob does and pick up anything I can along the way.

#TheMatrix

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Since you asked the question to anybody, I’ll give you my answer. When I set up I pull my shoulder blades together as tight as possible and try to drive them into the bench. Then I throw an arch in my back (nothing ridiculous) and keep my chest high. When I lower the bar I try to keep my elbows tucked, touch my chest and drive it up with everything I’ve got. I know for sure I’m not getting the leg drive I should, I need to work on that. I’d like to follow along and see what pob does and pick up anything I can along the way.

That sounds like shoulder grip though. I don't usually keep my elbows tucked in mid or wide grip.
For some reason I enjoy putting my feet on the bench. I almost want to bench on the floor. (Back issues) i get mat burn bruises on my back from the flat bench.

Reaction score
That sounds like shoulder grip though. I don't usually keep my elbows tucked in mid or wide grip.
For some reason I enjoy putting my feet on the bench. I almost want to bench on the floor. (Back issues) i get mat burn bruises on my back from the flat bench.
I bench pretty wide grip. Pinkey is on the ring.

New Threads