How to properly bench press?

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
Well if you wanna give it a shot, let's do it. Just some tweaks. Never know.
Several months off the gym with double digit TT was my biggest setback. I’m actually making decent progress now as that big of a break from lifting gave me a chance to break some bad habit’s.
Pushing my back/traps into the bench INSTEAD OF just pushing the bar away actually makes sense now.
I’m back into the high 3’s.

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
There are many many wide benchers that are incredibly strong. But the best of the best are almost always fairly narrow.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
I don’t think the bench would allow for much wider?

Then im guessing you’re talking about a different ring on the bar? I’ve seen bars with multiple rings on it and some of them have been wider. But most bars I’ve just used have the one ring around shoulderish width

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Then im guessing you’re talking about a different ring on the bar? I’ve seen bars with multiple rings on it and some of them have been wider. But most bars I’ve just used have the one ring around shoulderish width

The wider rings are for snatch/clean placement.

Reaction score
I’ll take a look tomorrow. I go slightly wider on incline (like one finger wider) and I can barely fit when I rack/unrack.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I've been looking all over my goddamn shake weight and I have no idea what the hell any of you are talking about.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
I've been looking all over my goddamn shake weight and I have no idea what the hell any of you are talking about.

This is why they aren’t allowed in competition. All because someone was to lazy to apply markings.

Reaction score
Here’s the bar I bench with. I don’t think I can go much wider....
cYilaGQ.jpg

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I’m really going to have to put pride aside... not sure which is worse, filming myself in the gym or posting my horrible lift publicly. I’m in though.

lol..........ages ago I sent him a bench video....................it's a good thing to do for sure!:D

Reaction score
Measure it. It’s possible it’s an Olympic lifting bar with one wide set of markings and not a powerlifting bar.

It has a long knurl, that ring, then more knurl. I played with grip spacing last night, where I'm at seems to be the best width for power. Definitely wider than shoulder width.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
How do you all grip? I have always done open grip with thumbs behind the bar. I find it is easiest on my wrists. I honestly dont know what is recommended but Im strongest this way and use that grip for nearly everything (including pulls)

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
How do you all grip? I have always done open grip with thumbs behind the bar. I find it is easiest on my wrists. I honestly dont know what is recommended but Im strongest this way and use that grip for nearly everything (including pulls)

Closed grip here, i can just picture the bar slipping out of my hands and landing on me.

New Threads