How to properly bench press?

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
How do you all grip? I have always done open grip with thumbs behind the bar. I find it is easiest on my wrists. I honestly dont know what is recommended but Im strongest this way and use that grip for nearly everything (including pulls)

I benched thumbless for 15 years. Made the switch and started wrapping my thumbs around the bar and stuck with it and feel more powerful than ever. Grip and bar placement is very important for a big bench.

Reaction score
I try to keep my wrists straight and I wrap my thumbs. I never have a spotter and I can’t be droppin that shit on my face.

Blusoul24

Elite
Reaction score
How do you all grip? I have always done open grip with thumbs behind the bar. I find it is easiest on my wrists. I honestly dont know what is recommended but Im strongest this way and use that grip for nearly everything (including pulls)

I always use a closed grip, and I never have a problem with my wrists, but I’m only benching 275. I also worry about open grip causing me to drop the bar on my face! I have a few friends who swear by it though.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Ive been benching thumbless since middle school. Never felt like I was at risk of dropping it and it definitely saves my wrists.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Thumb over the bar. You can create a lot more tension if you wrap your thumb over the bar.

You should also squeeze the bar as hard as possible, retract the shoulder blades, and try to break the bar.

New Threads