How to properly bench press?

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
I was tempted to just PM pillar but I’ll post in the open for others to reference.

What source would you guys recommend to learn how to properly bench press?

My reason for asking is it’s BY FAR my worst lift and I’ve only recently been focusing on improving it. (Avoidance and denial)

Before I knew better I lifted using my front delts instead of my pecs. Subconsciously I rolled my shoulder forward and engaged my delts anytime it got heavy. I know better now and have been slowly correcting this. Horrible habits are hard to undo.

I’m not looking for any crazy over the type powerlifting techniques. Just basic foundational theory that I can use as a base, assuming I progress!

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Lol... We on the same wavelength. Was about to offer bench instruction to the first 5 who need it.

So, anyone who wants to fix their shitty bench hit me up in this thread. First come first serve. 2 weeks of work. 3 days per week. If you have a good bench sit this out. If you are incapable of taking decent film in the gym this ain't for you.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I was tempted to just PM pillar but I’ll post in the open for others to reference.

What source would you guys recommend to learn how to properly bench?

My reason for asking is it’s BY FAR my worst lift and I’ve only recently been focusing on improving it. (Avoidance and denial)

Before I knew better I lifted using my front delts instead of my pecs. Subconsciously I rolled my shoulder forward and engaged my delts anytime it got heavy. I know better now and have been slowly correcting this. Horrible habits are hard to undo.

I’m not looking for any crazy over the type powerlifting techniques. Just basic foundational theory that I can use as a base, assuming I progress!

You will learn that bench has as much to do with your feet as your pecs and that rotational forces even play a role as does body position and leverages. Ready?

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Fantastic offer here guys and gals. Don't be too proud!

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
You will learn that bench has as much to do with your feet as your pecs and that rotational forces even play a role as does body position and leverages. Ready?

I’m really going to have to put pride aside... not sure which is worse, filming myself in the gym or posting my horrible lift publicly. I’m in though.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I’m really going to have to put pride aside... not sure which is worse, filming myself in the gym or posting my horrible lift publicly. I’m in though.

Nah via pm or email will be fine.

Robdjents

Ski bum
Reaction score
I’ll take this offer if there is still a spot...I got 265 up the other day but I’m sure it looked horrible

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
I’m tempted but not sure how to pull off the filming part

Robdjents

Ski bum
Reaction score
I’m tempted but not sure how to pull off the filming part

I’m gonna snag the wife’s tripod and get a phone attachment for it ..should work nice ..they make little stands for phones pretty cheap too

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I’m gonna snag the wife’s tripod and get a phone attachment for it ..should work nice ..they make little stands for phones pretty cheap too

people do this all the time at one of the more "hardcore" gyms I go to. People constantly correcting form and such. It's actually a powerlifting gym for the most part. PoB would be proud.

It's my favorite.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Jesus, maybe I should just hire PoB to hold a "how to bench" seminar for all my clients...

Good on all ya'll! Pumped to have you all teach me a thing or two!

#TheMatrix

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'll take a spot.
But at the moment I'm just lifting with a bar.....so if that doesn't work. I'll sit this one out

I'm more interested if I'm doing it wrong

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
I'll take a spot.
But at the moment I'm just lifting with a bar.....so if that doesn't work. I'll sit this one out

I'm more interested if I'm doing it wrong

We’ll provide balance for the other three :)

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
Taking bets on how many times Pillar calls some of us rather ugly names! :32 (18):

New Threads