Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,919 Times in 2,413 Posts
    I randomly had a bad hypo crash a couple weeks ago. Woke up and had coffee and could barely walk, bs was 66. Chugged some OJ and was fine in a few minutes.

For me this seems to only happen when cutting on tren. And it’s seemingly random, not something I can recreate.
    You can't inject wisdom

Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 730 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PillarofBalance View Post
    I was hoping you would ask because honestly I am not sure what the consequences of a huge deficit might be. For me it was going hypo once or twice per day. Of course that's not because of the deficit per se, but because I needed more carb intake.

Other thoughts - rapid muscle loss, loss of strength, thyroid problems maybe.
    The only time I ever went hypo was in my last year of college back in 08. I remember it vividly but to cut a long story short...
    3-4 weeks into a keto diet, upper/lower split 4x week with 2 days of intense endurance training for a 5km charity event. Prewo before one of my endurance sessions. My body made it very clear that if I want to keep pushing this endurance thing then I need to up the carbs or it will kick my ass. I tapped out within minutes of the session as the sides ramped up.
    The lesson: makes sure your diet & training are compatible with each other.

Muscle loss, no difference provided the lesson above is adhered to.
    Strength loss, sure, but I'd argue that most of this can be circumvented with good programming. I mean, I've had clients set PRs 2 weeks before a show. That kind of goes against the mantra of "dieting = inevitable strength loss". Huge neural component involved. Bench suffers due to leverage changes mostly. Etc. You're the PL guy - what's your view?
    Hormones do crash in general, yes. Same thing happens on a slow deficit. The difference is timeframe - quicker on a high deficit. Also quicker to recover because, well, your cut is done quicker too. Non-issue for the enhanced of course.

Quote Originally Posted by NbleSavage View Post
    If I'm following ye, I'm reading 'Cut harder, Cut shorter' - at least in yer case. Check me if I've got that sorted.

Was this prep for a competition? How often do ye cut this way? How durable are the results? I'm fascinated at the different approaches folks find success with. Great share, 'zilla.
    For me, yes. I absolutely would not recommend that to everyone because of the obvious adherence issues that might come up. The higher the deficit, the stronger the urge to binge for most.

Not prep, just my usual summertime cut

Durability is a concern because, in general, the quicker you lose it the quicker it should come back on. Mostly due to insufficient time allocated to building the right habits. Then again, it's not like the slow & steady approach is working well with the general population either - they gain it all back too, just slower. Changing habits is hard. The approach should be tailored to the individual.
    Building habits is not something that applies to me at this stage of the game. Same goes for most experienced members here. I find the idea of being able to cut in 6 weeks or less liberating. It makes me not care at all about the pounds I usually accumulate during the year.
    Last edited by MrRippedZilla; 11-11-2018 at 03:26 PM.
    Proud misanthropist.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrRippedZilla For This Useful Post:

BRICKS (11-11-2018),dk8594 (11-11-2018),NbleSavage (11-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 16,678 Times in 7,239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRippedZilla View Post
    The only time I ever went hypo was in my last year of college back in 08. I remember it vividly but to cut a long story short...
    3-4 weeks into a keto diet, upper/lower split 4x week with 2 days of intense endurance training for a 5km charity event. Prewo before one of my endurance sessions. My body made it very clear that if I want to keep pushing this endurance thing then I need to up the carbs or it will kick my ass. I tapped out within minutes of the session as the sides ramped up.
    The lesson: makes sure your diet & training are compatible with each other.

Muscle loss, no difference provided the lesson above is adhered to.
    Strength loss, sure, but I'd argue that most of this can be circumvented with good programming. I mean, I've had clients set PRs 2 weeks before a show. That kind of goes against the mantra of "dieting = inevitable strength loss". Huge neural component involved. Bench suffers due to leverage changes mostly. Etc. You're the PL guy - what's your view?
    Hormones do crash in general, yes. Same thing happens on a slow deficit. The difference is timeframe - quicker on a high deficit. Also quicker to recover because, well, your cut is done quicker too. Non-issue for the enhanced of course.

For me, yes. I absolutely would not recommend that to everyone because of the obvious adherence issues that might come up. The higher the deficit, the stronger the urge to binge for most.

Not prep, just my usual summertime cut

Durability is a concern because, in general, the quicker you lose it the quicker it should come back on. Mostly due to insufficient time allocated to building the right habits. Then again, it's not like the slow & steady approach is working well with the general population either - they gain it all back too, just slower. Changing habits is hard. The approach should be tailored to the individual.
    Building habits is not something that applies to me at this stage of the game. Same goes for most experienced members here. I find the idea of being able to cut in 6 weeks or less liberating. It makes me not care at all about the pounds I usually accumulate during the year.
    For an intermediate and above competitor bench is usually the only thing to suffer, but often times losing weight gets you better thoracic extension. So not always. Strength loss doesn't have to happen. If the training and diet match up, issues are minimal.

It's usually just energy levels impacted, so typically volume gets cut. Less volume > less fatigue > bump in 1rm would be expected regardless of nutrition. But long term the lower volume may slow your growth.

Yeah I guess after that, a hard short cut does seem to make more sense. I would be able to come out of deficit Midway thru prep just in time for an over-reach block, before peaking.

Might have to try that instead of staying in a deficit for 12 weeks.
    "Overzealous dosing" -Jin

Rest in Peace Robot Lord. First round of Natty Boh is on me when I make it up there with you brother.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PillarofBalance For This Useful Post:

MrRippedZilla (11-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,443 Times in 2,959 Posts
    everyone is sharing personal experiences with dieting and calorie deficits which is always interesting. but how low of a deficit a person can go before getting into trouble I suppose can also vary on the individual. Depending on one's age, activity level, even gender. dieting down to low single digit bf levels would definitely require walking a dangerous line that can only be sustained for a very short period of time that come with it's set of issues.. I dont have any recent personal experience to share for the exception of when my weight climbed to 270lbs a few years ago. but I didn't have to go to any extreme dieting to drop back down. I was so high into a surplus that cutting off all those excess calories was easy and welcomed.
    Last edited by Seeker; 11-11-2018 at 04:25 PM.
    I'm alot of shit but fake ain't it...

THERE IS NO PAIN
    that I cannot and will not fight through.

Strength First.

Thanks
    Shit, Zilla, dropping 60% of TDEE require some serious discipline and a mind Fuk. Yeah I can imagine you feeling like shit during. That's dropping 1600 cals for me. Lol. Obviously you have your dates and timeframes set for when you start but are you literally waking up one day and boom! 60% drop? Lol what's the macro break down? if you don't mind.

THERE IS NO PAIN

Strength First.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,683 Times in 4,005 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    Shit, Zilla, dropping 60% of TDEE require some serious discipline and a mind Fuk. Yeah I can imagine you feeling like shit during. That's dropping 1600 cals for me. Lol. Obviously you have your dates and timeframes set for when you start but are you literally waking up one day and boom! 60% drop? Lol what's the macro break down? if you don't mind.
    Think he meant he was eating at 60% of his TDEE, so 40% restriction. Still a massive cut.
    "Old Timers speak of us hushed, and clutch their rosaries..."
    Run the Jewels -'Oh Mama'

Thanks
    Thanked 2,266 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Check out protein sparing modified fast (psmf)
    In need of dieting help? Email me at [email protected]

Asking pillar how much orals to take is like asking Charlie Sheen how many hookers you should ****. - Jin

#mUGga

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Spongy For This Useful Post:

Seeker (11-11-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spongy View Post
    Check out protein sparing modified fast (psmf)
    it's as intense as it reads. I already assumed protein is over 1gram. Noble, on his 1st post he does say 60% deficit. let's see what he meant.

THERE IS NO PAIN

Strength First.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 730 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PillarofBalance View Post
    For an intermediate and above competitor bench is usually the only thing to suffer, but often times losing weight gets you better thoracic extension. So not always. Strength loss doesn't have to happen. If the training and diet match up, issues are minimal.

It's usually just energy levels impacted, so typically volume gets cut. Less volume > less fatigue > bump in 1rm would be expected regardless of nutrition. But long term the lower volume may slow your growth.

Yeah I guess after that, a hard short cut does seem to make more sense. I would be able to come out of deficit Midway thru prep just in time for an over-reach block, before peaking.
    Might have to try that instead of staying in a deficit for 12 weeks.
    Completely agree with the bold. Good point about improved thoracic extension.

I know we've discussed the importance of volume when cutting before and it's one of those "depends on who you ask" subjects that is commonly debated. As an enhanced lifter, I see benefits for both sides.
    A smaller deficit allows us to maintain higher volume, which might lead to growth even when cutting depending on other variables (drug protocol, experience level, etc).
    A larger deficit pretty much eliminates the possibility of growth but, since the cut is over much sooner, it does allow us to get back to optimal growth conditions (re more food) sooner too. I still think this is the better option when focusing on the long term. Time efficiency and stuff. But both have positives & negatives so meh...individual preference.

My modified PSMF is essentially lean protein + green veggies while allowing myself to have salmon 1x week and fruit prewo if I really need it, which I won't when starting. I don't have an exact macro breakdown but it's basically all protein with minimal carbs & fats. I'll add that most of the time I'll allow myself 2 back-to-back carb load E10D with cals just over maintenance, protein the same, fats go up a bit but never over 50g, and the rest is carbs. I say "most of the time" because if I'm on DNP, highly likely, the I skip carb loads. Pointless endeavour.

I work my way towards that ^^^ rather than crashing everything immediately lol.
    If I'm coming off a bulk I'll settle into a 2 week maintenance phase with protein already being bumped up to PSMF levels. Then I'll spend a few days transitioning to leaner cuts of protein, eliminating most fat sources, and all carbs, except veggies, outside of pre/post wo. Then I'll sacrifice those too. I'm fully transitioned in 5-6 days tops.

This sounds like I put a lot of thought into it but I really don't these days. I'm very robotic about the whole thing, which helps with adherence. I fully admit that it takes a special kind of crazy to do this.

Edit for Noble: 60% deficit is correct.
    Last edited by MrRippedZilla; 11-11-2018 at 06:53 PM.
    Proud misanthropist.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrRippedZilla For This Useful Post:

Seeker (11-11-2018),Spongy (11-11-2018)

Super Moderator/Fierce Fighter jennerrator's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,823 Times in 2,803 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    I'm glad to say that I have no personal experience with this.
    I guess me neither lol...It’s definitely interesting but I could never be that intense about it.
    DO FUUCKING WORK! STRENGTH FIRST BOSTON!

BIGGEST HEAD ON UG silvereyes87's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 920 Posts
    When i dropped from 250 to 195 recently nost of it i was in a 1000 cal deficit. Protein was always high
    But so was test and tren or mpp mast superdrol whatevs. My strength didnt take a serious dive till i hit 12% bf. Mind you i was traing 6 days a week for atleast 6 months and was run down af
    Strength First

Thanks
    Thanked 1,326 Times in 774 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRippedZilla View Post
    My modified PSMF is essentially lean protein + green veggies while allowing myself to have salmon 1x week and fruit prewo if I really need it, which I won't when starting. I don't have an exact macro breakdown but it's basically all protein with minimal carbs & fats. I'll add that most of the time I'll allow myself 2 back-to-back carb load E10D with cals just over maintenance, protein the same, fats go up a bit but never over 50g, and the rest is carbs.
    This is almost exactly where I ended up. Simple sushi was part of my routine

“The only natural test-boosters I know of that work are compound lifting, steaks, and looking at boobies...” -Dan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12