Abs cramping

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
So today I started to train abs and the first thing I got was the only cramp... it was killing me!!! It would pause and move all over ... is there anything I can do to reduce this... or stop it.. I would stretch my stomach by leaning back and i wouldn't feel them.. someone told me that I need like a branch amino acid drink and sip it through my workout so it wouldn't happen when I do abs.. is he correct?

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
more water, potassium, sodium. i used to get killer ab cramps when doin abs where ide have to bend backwards like the exorcist to make it stop, i was drinking pretty heavily at the time though so dehydrated.

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
more water, potassium, sodium. i used to get killer ab cramps when doin abs where ide have to bend backwards like the exorcist to make it stop, i was drinking pretty heavily at the time though so dehydrated.

So. Should I drink a water down Gatorade??

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
If you just started doing abs, this will probably happen for the first couple weeks. It does to me every time. Luckily after about 3 weeks I always decide abs are not for me and I drop them for 6-12 months. The cramps are just a normal thing for me at the beginning each time.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I have got them a few times. So bad on one side(and it always happens to only one side) I couldn't stand straight up but that's what you need to do as soon as you feel it come on. Get your arm up over your head and stretch it out. I seriously felt like a gut shot deer. Be forewarned, they are just like a Charlie horse, you get one and you'll get it again in a few hr. Watch getting out of bed, it could make for a bad start to the day.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I get these time & again. Like the Bros said, some painful stuff. I find they do reduce in frequency after ye train abs for a few weeks consistently though, and x2 on proper hydration and a bit of extra potassium as a preventative measure. Avocados, sweet potatoes and spinach all can be helpful here.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
3 things

1. Lay on your back and with your finger tips feel under your bottom rib. It's uncomfortable but don't be a pussy about it. Move along the rib and you will feel some lumps. Work those out for a couple minutes with your fingers.

2. Hang from a pull-up bar and let the abs stretch out. Accumulate up to 4 minutes.

3. Do the couch stretch twice per day for 4 minutes per leg.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Slightly off topic but what lifter hasn't had to power through some form of a cramp while doing the dirty deed?

You're not a real lifter until you get a hamstring cramp and fall off the bed while railing your old lady...

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Abs of steel.........................still have them and can't wait to get back to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

No cramp issues TTL!

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ab cramping is common among 2 guys while 69ing

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It’s all the fat getting in the way

Reactions: Jin

MonkeyBusiness

Reaction score
I get them craps bad if i havent done abs in a while.

Let it pass and try again in a few days?

New Threads