Front raises

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
Do y’all prefer front raises with a pronated or neutral grip? Also is there a difference been searching but cannot find any solid material explaining difference in grip on front delt raises

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The neutral grip (palms facing in), pronated grip (overhand) and supinated grip (underhand). Likewise, the width of the grip will make an impact on which muscles are tackled more

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
well I've used both now that I think about it....lets see what folks say..................

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
I use pronated grip for them.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
In general a pronating the arm is going to impinge the shoulder joint more than keeping your arm neutral. This puts more stress on the shoulder and the rotator cuff. Now, having said that, my wife for example, has an existing shoulder issue and a neutral grip bothers her shoulder while a pronated grip does not on front raises.

Short answer, use whatever grip is most comfortable for your shoulder. For front raises pronated vs neutral isn't gonna matter much for development. I would avoid heavy weights on any dumbell work for your shoulders. There are safer movements for the shoulder to apply heavier weight.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
haven't done a front raise since high school

Grizzly911

Elite
Reaction score
Do y’all prefer front raises with a pronated or neutral grip? Also is there a difference been searching but cannot find any solid material explaining difference in grip on front delt raises

I add in some front raises after doing work for medial delts on chest day to bring out flexibility and shape.

Hurt

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I never do targeted anterior delt accessories. Enough pressing to hit them enough.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
I’ll second Bricks suggestion of “use whatever grip is most comfortable”.

Supination/pronation effects your biceps because of the way the muscle is used to rotate the wrist. (Forearm muscles to a lesser extent) Your deltoid connects to the same spot on your humerus regardless of wrist rotation so the muscle isn’t effected in anyway.

Raising your upper arm with your deltoid is identicle in both positions.

Holding the the bar or DBs in a comfortable way so you can maximize the weight is the bigger factor.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
on my push days i dont do front raises, i only do them on my 4 day week when im doing shoulders and traps only. and then i do them as a SS with lat raises.

On push days there is more than enough benching going on.

MonkeyBusiness

Reaction score
Pronated.

I also rotate my shoulders inward and focus on raising with the outer part of the arm to really help avoid using bicep.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I prefer never doing front raises ever. Front delts get more than enough work from benching.

X2X

Also my shoulder snap, crackle and pop so bad i cant do them without minor pain.

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
I do them normal grip but light and as a warm up before benching.

Beedeezy

Elite
Reaction score
Other pressing exercises stimulate the front delt more than enough. If you’re not already doing so, use that time to focus more on the rear delt.
Not speaking for the guys here, but I notice people typically neglect the rear delt because they can’t see them.

German89

Elite
Reaction score
I started to do the old arnold front raises. I think I like these the best.

I also second the pressing movement hitting the front delt. but, if you got front delts like mine, then you have to do a little extra. mine will not frickin grow!!!!

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Other pressing exercises stimulate the front delt more than enough. If you’re not already doing so, use that time to focus more on the rear delt.
Not speaking for the guys here, but I notice people typically neglect the rear delt because they can’t see them.

Rear delts are just so much harder to get much growth out of.

New Threads