Decline bench

Beezy

Elite
Reaction score
I swap between flat bench and decline every week. I can’t help but notice that I’m the only guy at the gym in the morning who ever used decline. The only major difference I get is different parts of my triceps getting sore, my chest is all sore, so I can’t feel a difference.
Any reason to stop or keep going?

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
I found my lower pecs developed better from decline benching. I do flat, incline and decline all on chest day.

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
How long do you lift per day?

different times depending on what I'm doing that day but chest day is about 1.5 hours with warming my old ass shoulders up. I do 3 sets of 8-10 flat and decline and 2 sets of incline for 8-10 usually.

Maijah

Elite
Reaction score
Decline seems to have a much smaller r.o.m and I can move much more weight. Although I've often wondered if it really engages pecs that much more than any other lift for chest

Beezy

Elite
Reaction score
Decline seems to have a much smaller r.o.m and I can move much more weight. Although I've often wondered if it really engages pecs that much more than any other lift for chest

I can definitely lift the most in decline.
Incline I do every chest day, but I alternate the other two as I only lift for 50 minutes currently.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
I cant feel my chest on a standard decline. I need it to be a steeper angle

Beezy

Elite
Reaction score
I cant feel my chest on a standard decline. I need it to be a steeper angle

I have to use the adjustable to drop it back more. The one that’s made for it isn’t steep enough. Same with the incline bench for that matter.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
I have to use the adjustable to drop it back more. The one that’s made for it isn’t steep enough. Same with the incline bench for that matter.

I like 30 percent for incline. On a fixed incline barbell bench Ill put a plate under the foot support to decrease the angle a hair. 45 is too steep for me. Too much shoulder

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
If it's working B, why change? Personally. I like a modified cable cross- over for that. (Bring on the haters! lol)

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
If it's working B, why change? Personally. I like a modified cable cross- over for that. (Bring on the haters! lol)

Nobody can argue with what works.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If it's working B, why change? Personally. I like a million dicks in my mouth for that. (Bring on the haters! lol)

I don't agree with snake.

89.7% of dudes pecs I see are pathetic up top. I think incline and flat would be sufficient. Decline has such a short ROM I just never found it useful. Dips worked better for me anyway.

Beezy

Elite
Reaction score
I don't agree with snake.

89.7% of dudes dicks I see are pathetic up top. I think long and fat would be sufficient. Vagina has such a short ROM I just never found it useful. Dicks worked better for me anyway.

I think you’re my role model

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jin

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
pecs have always been a strong point for me. especially upper. I'm sure genetics helped but for years from a beginner I always started my workout with incline and ended it with dips

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
oh.. decline was a rarity. Hardly used it. if I did it was mostly with dumbbells

Beezy

Elite
Reaction score
oh.. decline was a rarity. Hardly used it. if I did it was mostly with dumbbells

My chest has been tough to get going. I started alternating decline because it was a Yates tip for catching the pecs up.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Like everything, I think pecs are very dependent on genes. Ive tried many times to work up the upper pecs and the weight goes up a lot but the distribution of muscle seems to stay the same.

I spent the first 20 weeks I was on trt focusing almost entirely on incline and saw very little change. Love to hear some insight from some of you guys with a shelf.

New Threads