Doublechecking what pre-cycle bloods to order

loafie

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Im at the stage now where Im looking to get bloods done in anticipation for my upcoming cycle.

After lurking and doing research on both UGbodybuilding as well as T-Nation and r/steroids it seems like the general consensus is to order the "Advanced Female Hormone Panel"

Here is the copy-paste just to ensure that I have it right:

Description: ***Both MALES and FEMALES order this panel, please be sure to enter the gender that you want reference ranges for when placing your order, as each gender has different reference ranges for these tests. ***
Menopause is the time in a woman's life when menstruation stops permanently. Most women go through menopause between ages 45 and 55. In the US the average age for menstrual periods to stop completely is 51.

This panel will help diagnose the onset of menopause. Significant deviations from the normal range may require further evaluation by your physician.

Includes:
-Estradiol, serum;
-Follicle-Stimulating Hormone (FSH);
-Luteinizing Hormone (LH);
-Testosterone, serum;
-Complete Blood Count (CBC): Hematocrit; hemoglobin; mean corpuscular volume (MCV); mean corpuscular hemoglobin (MCH); mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration (MCHC); red cell distribution width (RDW); percentage and absolute differential counts; platelet count; red cell count; white blood cell count; immature granulocytes.
-Comprehensive Metabolic Profile (CMP): A:G ratio; albumin, serum; alkaline phosphatase, serum; ALT (SGPT); AST (SGOT); bilirubin, total; BUN; BUN:creatinine ratio; calcium, serum; carbon dioxide, total; chloride, serum; creatinine, serum; globulin, total; glucose, serum; potassium, serum; protein, total, serum; sodium, serum.

Patient Instructions: Patient should fast for 12 hours preceding collection of specimen. If using a testosterone cream please be sure you have not rubbed any into the antecubital area of your arm for the last 24 hours as it can give elevated results.

Categories: Hormones and Metabolism, Female Specific Tests, Infertility Testing

Price: $69.99

Though a couple questions that I have are that I have come across a few posts that have disputed getting a female hormone panel and have instead said its a better idea to stick with a male hormone panel if you are a male. But that view seems to be just of the minority?

My other question is whether or not its recommended to get any other additional tests at the same time since I figure Im going in to get the hormone panel done so I might as well get any other useful tests in at the same time?
On that note I have heard some people recommending getting lipids or GH?

My view on getting additional and "optional" tests is that Im completely okay with paying extra if it means being absolutely sure of where I stand before my cycle in order to best monitor my health down the line.

And lastly, while I am aware that PrivateMDLabs is well reputable and will not disclose any of my personal information, I would still always rather have matters in my own hands in terms of anonymity, so has anyone had any success with maintaining anonymity by paying with gift cards?
And if so, I dont think it would matter anyways since they require an ID anyways before you take the test (unless you get a fake ID maybe??)

cheers

Last edited:

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Cheers, Loafie.

Good on ye for getting bloods before starting yer cycle. Get to know yer lab - if done right ye'll be seeing them again mid-cycle to ensure things are still in a good place.

The 'female' panel is the basic 'go-to' blood test for most on the board & includes major markers such as hematocrit, FSH, LH, estradiol (toughest part of the game is dialing in yer E2 management) and of course Testosterone - its largely the same test markers as the 'male' panel at a much less spendy price. If ye have the $$ to spend, no harm in checking yer lipids periodically as well (ye can add that test to yer panel at PrivateMD). On GH - unless yer testing a Chinese batch or are just curious, I don't think its worth the spend but obviously it cant hurt and if yer concerned about it then by all means.

When ye order, be sure to indicate that ye are a male such that ye'll get the right reference markers. No one will bat an eye that ye are male and ordered the 'female' panel, I been doing it fer years.

Again, good on ye for having a plan to keep up with bloods.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Savage hit the nail on the head. I have been using it 2-3x/yr. I do get BW done twice a year though my GP so those other items you mentioned and including PSA and urine testing gets done then so there's no reason for me to add it.

I just use a CC to buy the panel since it's not questioned by the wife so I don't have anything to hide there. I never used a gift card for that but I'm sure it's smooth. It is a bit of a PITA when using their site but you get use to it.

Another thing, BEFORE ordering the test, sign up to their e-mail. You will get an 15% off in your e-mail right away that you can use. They also send you the discount every month along with some good articles on health.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
15% off code for this month is DEC2018

I always recommend a lipid panel at least 1 time per year for my clients.

Also recommended PSA once a year for those with hereditary concerns or every 2 years for those without.

Merlin

Reaction score
You should be getting annual physical check ups that include BMP, lipids, CBC etc. You should be able to use those numbers for your cycle as long as it wasn't too far from starting you cycle. If it is just get another check up or add to your labs. Personally I like to check all my numbers. You should have access to your results via an online chart your provider uses. Unless hes still in the stone age..

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
You should be getting annual physical check ups that include BMP, lipids, CBC etc. You should be able to use those numbers for your cycle as long as it wasn't too far from starting you cycle. If it is just get another check up or add to your labs. Personally I like to check all my numbers. You should have access to your results via an online chart your provider uses. Unless hes still in the stone age..

If it is pre cycle before taking any steroids than test, FSH and LH are essential to get your natural baseline.

New Threads