Help me build a squat please!

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Cant argue with science.
Would this also apply to a machine chest press on a track, to a barbell bench press?

if your goal is your overall bench press in terms of strength and going from 315 to 400 then how is a machine press gonna help you get there? I dont see how it does help.

Jymjunkie

Reaction score
if your goal is your overall bench press in terms of strength and going from 315 to 400 then how is a machine press gonna help you get there? I dont see how it does help.
Totally agree with you. Seems like maybe i got lost from the original post of his goal and wanting to increase squat max and improved technique. Seeker to the rescue.
Careful on those knees though big fella, they make baggy pants for little legs syndrome.

Reaction score
Gonna have to pass on the smith machine idea. I want to do a meet someday and I’ve never seen a smith machine at a competition!

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
use the smith machine. Drag a bench over, and from your starting position squat down til youre seated on the bench and press back up. The smith machine allows you to move your feet forward some and really take your back out of the movement. Try not to stop and rest at the seated position though, keep the whole motion smooth and continuous.
Hope this helps

Sorry Jymnunkie,. Absolutely do not use the smith machine to further progess in your squat. This is a horrible idea especially for a man who has had knee issues in the past.

I mean honestly if he has had that many surgeries on the knee, id leave the squat behind all together. Id be more concerned with longevity and living day to day as comfortable as possible for as long as possible.
i dont know where he is at as far as physical therapy or limitations, and havent seen how “bad” his form is, but i know that using the smith machine if used properly can assist in keeping form tight. This movement is obviously not used to overload the training, but to focus on the actual “squat” and give you some support. Stick to the leg press machine if all else fails.
sorry for not being more detailed with the previous post

let me quote the famous Charles Poliquin. "With a Smith machine, the bar is on a track, and this increased stability decreases the requirement of the body's neutralizer and stabilizer muscle functions. Therefore, the strength developed on a Smith machine has little carryover to a three dimensional unstable environment such as occurs during the freestanding squat" The drawbacks are pretty evident. Long story short? the Smith Machine has no place in a person's squat program. Or any strength program. or any program. lol it belongs in the garbage, or as one member once said. A good place to hang his towel. I can go further in more drawbacks but this should be enough

Cant argue with science.
Would this also apply to a machine chest press on a track, to a barbell bench press?

Totally agree with you. Seems like maybe i got lost from the original post of his goal and wanting to increase squat max and improved technique. Seeker to the rescue.
Careful on those knees though big fella, they make baggy pants for little legs syndrome.

This is the numero uno reason why I said box squats. I proper box squat takes all the strain off your knees because your shin should be vertical and not track out like a comp squat.

Just my opinion that most people over 30, who don't compete and have no intention of competing, would be better off doing proper box squats then comp squats.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This is the numero uno reason why I said box squats. I proper box squat takes all the strain off your knees because your shin should be vertical and not track out like a comp squat.

Just my opinion that most people over 30, who don't compete and have no intention of competing, would be better off doing proper box squats then comp squats.

x2, re: box squats. My concern in recommending them is that most have no idea how to do them properly.

New Threads